Film and Media Theory

kwagner

Anyone else who applied to Northwestern Screen Cultures still not have a "View Decision" button on their page? I heard about the Interview Weekend and then about all of the rejections today, but I have not been included in either set. No news from the school and no "View Decision" button--- are others in my boat?

Yes, I am fully aware that the result will likely be a rejection given that I was not invited to the Interview Weekend, but I don't like to give up hope until I have actually been notified.

I still have no "view decision" link on my app too. I have no idea what it means...maybe they just have to do them one by one? You'd think a future media studies Ph.D would know how a system like that works, but I have literally no clue.

Anyone else done waiting? I received notice from the last school I was waiting to hear a decision from today (rejection from Minnesota Am Studies). Still technically waiting to see what'll happen with the USC waitlist and to get the official Northwestern rejection...but wow. Do I have to just...focus on school work again?

Good luck to the rest of the community. And to the dejected poster with really good numbers: I wish I could give you an answer. My numbers are considerably worse than yours (from undergrad at least), and people usually think the name of my undergrad institution is fake when I tell them (I went to Penis University). I scored near the 50th percentile on the GRE math, though verbal was good. I guess there's just really something to be said for networking maybe...it seems like nearly all the successful applicants I've talked to have had contact with the schools that accepted them either directly or through a current faculty adviser/recommender. Still I imagine you were near the top of every pile even if you weren't accepted. What are you interested in, if you don't mind sharing?

I just got a letter from USC today (waitlist) as an MA applicant. The letter was dated on the 25th, so don't fret if you haven't heard from them yet...

Not really sure how to take a waitlist from USC. On one hand, awesome, I'm still in the running. On the other...how many people actually turn down USC?

I just got a letter from USC today (waitlist) as an MA applicant. The letter was dated on the 25th, so don't fret if you haven't heard from them yet...

Not really sure how to take a waitlist from USC. On one hand, awesome, I'm still in the running. On the other...how many people actually turn down USC?

I actually turned down my MA spot. I have a couple other offers I like better, for various reasons. Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

And to the dejected poster with really good numbers: I wish I could give you an answer. My numbers are considerably worse than yours (from undergrad at least), and people usually think the name of my undergrad institution is fake when I tell them (I went to Penis University). I scored near the 50th percentile on the GRE math, though verbal was good. I guess there's just really something to be said for networking maybe...it seems like nearly all the successful applicants I've talked to have had contact with the schools that accepted them either directly or through a current faculty adviser/recommender. Still I imagine you were near the top of every pile even if you weren't accepted. What are you interested in, if you don't mind sharing?

Yes, I think there is something to be said for networking. My professors are all well-connected, but I myself am not. I think I am going to hedge my bets and contact the departments (politely of course!) to see if I can determine what aspects of my applications were weak. I'm waiting to hear back from one more school, but I'm not optimistic about it. I would definitely appreciate some feedback in case I decide to reapply in the future.

As for my interests, I've only earned a B.A. so they're still coming into focus. In general, though, I'm predominately interested in media stardom and fandom (especially their evolution in the age of new media) and all things television. Judging by my performance in this application cycle, though, I may need to reconsider!

If there is anyone out there accepted to Indiana University's Communication and Culture PhD (Film and Media Studies track) I'd be very much interested in knowing if you will be attending, or declining the admission offer...

Hi all -- I just found this thread!

I've been accepted to Pitt for English/Film Studies, and Rochester's Visual and Cultural Studies (if this counts!). Not really waiting on anyone else -- I'm assuming I'll be getting my Brown MCM rejection soon.

I had a questions for the person who posted they were accepted to UT-Austin on the results page. Did they send an email to a group of you saying you were accepted and to introduce yourself? They did that with the MFA program so I was just trying to get info on that.

I had a questions for the person who posted they were accepted to UT-Austin on the results page. Did they send an email to a group of you saying you were accepted and to introduce yourself? They did that with the MFA program so I was just trying to get info on that.

I don't know if you were interested in the MA acceptance or the PhD ones, but I posted the MA one yesterday. It was just a standard email from a communications prof, without much information and definitely not to a group. Hope that's helpful!

I was accepted for the MA, and it was an email from the Grad Coordinator. As of yet there has been no group-type email.

USC has been contacting me the past two days requesting more info for their final consideration. Anybody else have this happen? hmmmm.

Re: UT -- For the PhD, there was an email from the dept, and the secretary subsequently set up a listserv type thing. Hope that helps.

Also, anyone have any info on the number of students accepted at various programs? According to the results I've seen, looks ike NW was 4, U of Chicago 2, UCSB 5, UT 8, Harvard 2-3... anything else? Somewhat curious.

Also, anyone have any info on the number of students accepted at various programs? According to the results I've seen, looks ike NW was 4, U of Chicago 2, UCSB 5, UT 8, Harvard 2-3... anything else? Somewhat curious.

Are your numbers just for PhDs?

Anyone heard from NYU's M.A. in Cinema Studies? I've seen some waitlisted results come through, and some indicated that they were received via the NYU website, but I haven't seen anything change on my page. Anyone else? I've gotten the impression that they tend to notify people via mail, but who knows.

You know I was wondering the same thing about the NYU Cinema Studies M.A. I'd heard that there were interviews (though those could have been PhD only), and I know that they are usually really late to send out notifications, but to wait list so early makes me wonder if they're not already notifying acceptances. In any case, I'm in the same boat, has anybody heard anything?

Along those same lines, has anyone heard anything from UCLA? They were in the first wave of applications I sent out so I thought they'd get back to me by now, but...

Peffy and Still Waiting:

I am also still waiting on NYU and UCLA. Someone posted in the results yesterday that they were waitlisted at NYU for the Cinema Studies MA and they found out by logging on to the website. I assume when they said website they meant the applyyourself site where you did your application.

I logged into mine, but nothing was updated, it still only says my application was "submitted". Have you guys tried this?

Im starting to worry that I am on the way to being rejected. Booo!

Still waiting for Columbia, UCLA, UT-Austin and New School.

From What I have seen on here from past years it looks like Columbia waits till the first week of april to send out info and UCLA should be around the 25th. As for the New School (Which I don't think anyone else applied to) they want to have everything out by the end of the month.

Looks like there's a lot more waiting....

I heard from NYU today and I was accepted to the Media, Culture and Communication program, but I have plenty of friends who applied to Tisch and are still painfully waiting... Keep your chins up!

I heard from NYU today and I was accepted to the Media, Culture and Communication program, but I have plenty of friends who applied to Tisch and are still painfully waiting... Keep your chins up!

Thanks for the advice, I feel like I am floating out in the ether, with only rejections on my side!

And congratulations on the acceptance! How exciting! :D

Thanks for the advice, I feel like I am floating out in the ether, with only rejections on my side!

And congratulations on the acceptance! How exciting! :D

Thank you for your congrats! Don't stress! Last year I applied to 8 different programs and was not accepted by any of them. I spent this year making sure I was the best applicant I could possibly be, and it has paid off. It will all work out!! It always does! Anyways it is not over yet, so don't give up hope!

Now that more acceptances/rejects are in, is there any more info on Ph.D. cohort sizes at various programs?

Also, if you've been accepted at a program and have decided to decline please let us know. Us waitlisters need all of the rays of hope we can muster!

Do you mind letting me know who posted the MFA acceptance to Hollins University? I got accepted to their MA program (my only acceptance so far) and I was wondering if you were planning on accepting? I just don't know if a summer program is a good idea so any opinions would be helpful.