Waiting to hear back - MFA in Photography

faech

Just declined offers from Washington University in St. Louis, SIUC, and Ohio University (not photojournalism). Hopefully that opens up something for others. I'm still weighing the options on the other schools but leaning hard toward the funding offer from OSU.

Received acceptance from SVA via Email on March 8th...

Yahoo, New York, I am coming~

Good Luck Guys.

Hi Decaf! did SVA MFA Photo called you for an interview before you heard of your acceptance via email on March 8th? On their site they say they'll notify everyone via mail on April 1st... and that's what I've been waiting for... but I think it might be a no if I haven't heard from them yet :(

No, she wrote elsewhere that they didn't interview her.

Hi Decaf! did SVA MFA Photo called you for an interview before you heard of your acceptance via email on March 8th? On their site they say they'll notify everyone via mail on April 1st... and that's what I've been waiting for... but I think it might be a no if I haven't heard from them yet :(

Hello all! this is my introduction. My name is Laura.

I have only applied to three schools: RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology), SVA (School of Visual Arts), and ICP-Bard (International Center of Photography and Bard). My main priority is to stay in New York City (I did my photo undergrad at Parsons), but RIT has called and accepted me! offering quite a generous amount of money in scholarship, plus money in assistantship.

ICP-Bard called me for an interview two weeks ago, and they said they would notified within a week. I still haven't heard from them. They say they interviewed about 30 people, and about 12 people get in. Has anyone here applied to their program, interviewed, and heard anything back?

Finally, SVA is the longest wait. They say on their site they will notify via email on April 1st. Has anyone else heard from SVA prior to this date?

Nervewrecking. Fingers crossed, but am ready for a no. And regarding Rochester... I am just so insecure about the idea of moving from the city to Rochester. What about the contacts, the clients, all the stuff I've build up in NYC? Will Rochester be challenging? Any piece of advice you guys might have, let me know! :)

me neither, I don't know what to make o this news, has anyone else heard back?

I'm on the same boat. I thought they said ALL admissions decisions were sent via mail on April 1st. I didn't think there were already people accepted via email. I don't know what to make of these news either.

I'm on the same boat. I thought they said ALL admissions decisions were sent via mail on April 1st. I didn't think there were already people accepted via email. I don't know what to make of these news either.

*sigh* who knows what goes on with these things, all I can do it wait and stay cool.

on a sunday??

It was a personal call from a professor.

Was anyone else accepted??

I guess they lied to me, because I was told that they were going to coordinate acceptances with other departments.

I do not know if anyone else was accepted. I would not say they "lied" to you. Again, it was a personal call from a professor, not a call from the graduate office. They may still be "coordinating" official letters from departments.

Don't give up yet. I've have not accepted anything yet and it is likely that neither has anyone else.

Edited by Fool4nine

Hey guys and gals

Anyone have thoughts or experiences or insights or feelings or comments or the like on or about the photo program at RISD?

Anyone accepted and going to attend?

The photo dept. chair, Steven Smith, did his undergrad at my university. I don't know him personally but I have spoken to him a couple of times via email and he seems like a really nice guy. I purchased his book as I like his work quite a bit and wish I had been accepted there.

What's not to like about such a renowned program? One thing in RISDs favor over Yale - Yale seems to only hire Yale graduates. While RISD faculty are from all over. This tells me that Yale is perhaps very insular and not as open to finding the "right" faculty no matter where they went to school.

The photo dept. chair, Steven Smith, did his undergrad at my university. I don't know him personally but I have spoken to him a couple of times via email and he seems like a really nice guy. I purchased his book as I like his work quite a bit and wish I had been accepted there.

What's not to like about such a renowned program? One thing in RISDs favor over Yale - Yale seems to only hire Yale graduates. While RISD faculty are from all over. This tells me that Yale is perhaps very insular and not as open to finding the "right" faculty no matter where they went to school.

Thanks for the response

Where did you two do your under graduate studies?

Yeah, he does seem like a genuinely nice fellow. So, don't get me wrong, I think the program is great, but just wondered if anyone had any first hand or second hand experience with it. The faculty are stellar, from their personal work strength to their accomplishments to the diversity of the portfolios, which is a great blend. There just seems to be so much information and commenting about the top program, Yale, and its philosophies but not much about the next two, in order, SAIC and RISD. Though RISD is generally considered to top fine art school in the country, I am speaking specifically of the Photo Department.

Thanks for the response

Where did you two do your under graduate studies?

Yeah, he does seem like a genuinely nice fellow. So, don't get me wrong, I think the program is great, but just wondered if anyone had any first hand or second hand experience with it. The faculty are stellar, from their personal work strength to their accomplishments to the diversity of the portfolios, which is a great blend. There just seems to be so much information and commenting about the top program, Yale, and its philosophies but not much about the next two, in order, SAIC and RISD. Though RISD is generally considered to top fine art school in the country, I am speaking specifically of the Photo Department.

Utah State University.

Yale is talked about because it is an Ivy League school, a traditional university with a worldwide reputation and has been number 1 or near the top in a number of specialties for a long time. RISD, being an art and design school, is relatively unknown outside of the art world.

I have seen at least 5 people got accepted last week but I haven't heard anything from them.

Has anyone heard anything from CalArts?????? I have heard a few people who have staggeringly been told they are in but Im kinda dying over here

wait a minute. you got into RISD, CCA, SAIC, and SVA, all with funding, and you're dying over there?? is your heart set on CalArts?

also, i'd be curious to know what kind of funding you got from SVA. did they notify you of financial aid in the acceptance email?

Has anyone heard anything from CalArts?????? I have heard a few people who have staggeringly been told they are in but Im kinda dying over here