Communicating with potential advisors while waiting?

Fritzie

Need your advice, please! Like a good PhD applicant, I contacted potential advisors at the schools I was applying to back in the fall/winter, discussed how my interests and theirs matched, and how I saw myself fitting into their programs, all that jazz. I got some really nice responses, answered all their questions, asked a few about their current research, the programs, etc. Then, the conversations tapered off - fine, there's not really much more to be discussed at this point, after all. But one professor did give me his phone numbers, and said I could call if I thought of any further questions. Since I really didn't have any, I wrote back thanking him, but said that for now I don't really have any questions since he'd been so informative already, and they have a good website (and that's true, I'm not just trying to suck up by saying that).

Now that the applications are in and all the deadlines are passed, though, I'm wondering - should I contact anyone again? I can't see any need to, since I really don't need any more information until I (hopefully) get accepted. But, maybe it's a good idea to remind them about me? And especially, should I contact/call the professor who suggested I call him? I'm kicking myself now for not calling him - such a wasted opportunity! But I wonder if, at this point, it would seem a bit desperate and transparent, especially since I really can't think of anything to ask that wouldn't seem premature now....

Thoughts?

I'd be interested to know if there is any protocol on this, as well!

I almost feel awkward contacting potential advisors while they are going through the application process...and especially if they are on the actual Grad Admissions Committee!!

I wonder if it's good to remind them of your existence or if it's simply annoying-ish because they are so busy right now?

I would say your instinct is right: don't contact them. Now that they are reviewing your application, the ball is in their court.

For complicated reasons I was thinking of asking to visit a nearby school where I had already had a phone interview and where on-campus interviews had not happened yet. I asked a prof whether this would be appropriate and he said, no, you can't ask to visit if on-campus interviews are by invitation. I think the same principle applies to your situation: at this stage, communication with potential advisors is by invitation, so you shouldn't contact them without an invitation.

ETA: now that I think about it, I was also thinking of contacting a different POI with a somewhat less demanding request; I asked for advice from a different mentor of mine, and that person too said, no, you need to wait until they talk to you. So there seems to be some inter-rater reliability on this point. (:

I know how strong the urge is to contact people. I really feel like I'm doing nothing right now and I hate not doing anything else towards such a life changing decision. But I really think it'll be for the best, you don't want to come off as obnoxious, needy, or say something stupid.

I can see how waiting is usually advisable, but I have a slightly different situation:

I contacted the professor before I sent in the application, but she was out of the country and told me should would be happy to talk in two weeks. In the meantime, I submitted the application. It is now two weeks later, and I didn't want her to think I wasn't still interested, so I just sent her an email saying I hope she had a good trip and that I would still like to chat if she is available. I hope that is ok? I thought maybe saying nothing in this situation would make it appear that I didn't really care?

mocha t_ruth, I think your situation is fine, you did the right thing.

As for the OP, I think it's advisable to lay low while they are working their admissions magic. There's no need to contact at this point; they are aware of your existence as well as your interest in their program.

And sidenote: piktopia, they are ALL on the ad comm. No faculty is NOT invested in these decisions...

At some schools, grad students are also invited in on the process!

I contacted the professor before I sent in the application, but she was out of the country and told me should would be happy to talk in two weeks. In the meantime, I submitted the application. It is now two weeks later, and I didn't want her to think I wasn't still interested, so I just sent her an email saying I hope she had a good trip and that I would still like to chat if she is available. I hope that is ok? I thought maybe saying nothing in this situation would make it appear that I didn't really care?

I had the exact same situation - professor agreed to meet with me but was out of the country. Told me to email him on X day to follow up. I did so, no response. After much debate I decided to send another follow up email a week later just to show that I was really interested. In reply I got this email:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've been traveling and so am just now catching up on e-mail. At this point, we are actively evaluating graduate applications and making our decisions about which students to invite for an interview. If you application is selected in this process, we will have ample opportunity to meet at that point. So, why don't we wait until the department has made its final decisions about who to invite. Hopefully, we will know more very shortly.

So yeah, I took this as neutral - maybe he already expects to meet me at interview weekend, maybe he thought my app. sucked and doesn't want to waste his time, maybe he's just too busy to schedule extra meetings.

I think at this point our fate is in the hands of the ad. comms, whether we like it or not.

All very helpful - thank you!!

Just wondering though...I've been in contact with a potential advisor (and also the GAC chair one of my top choices) since last Spring.

We've exchanged quite a few emails - this was before my interest in that program was even really cemented - and met/lunched at a conference last Fall. He has been very adamant about my coming to visit the campus, but our last email exchange was a "Happy Holidays"...obviously, right before the holidays!

I don't know...I'm not contacting him because my application is now in and I'm fairly sure they are "processing"...but I don't want to burn any bridges by not getting in touch! I would just hate to put him (and me!) in any kind of awkward position.

I visited a program to which I was applying, and had a professor who gave me an article of his to peruse and respond. I didn't get to it until January (presumably when they've started to look over applications), and sent a detailed response with hopefully sensible questions. I included a "don't worry about it if you're too busy..." disclaimer, but when he actually took me up on it (and didn't respond), I'm worried that he may think I'm meddling in the process. They were really funny about not making a campus visit during the application review period, so I really hope I didn't burn any bridges there. Especially since there are only 4 bridges in that particular department, so to speak.

And sidenote: piktopia, they are ALL on the ad comm. No faculty is NOT invested in these decisions...

I don't think that's true everywhere. At one of my schools I am pretty sure there's a core adcom of 3 profs. Of course they will probably consult the others in the program before making any final decisions, but I think they do most of the reviewing.

At another one of my schools, all the faculty, staff, and grad students are involved, as you said. So it really varies!

Glad to know you all agree that not contacting now is probably the best way to go. I guess I was just having a small attack of paranoia - shouldn't I be DOING something? Thanks for giving me the needed reality check! I'll leave everything in the hands of the application gods (Loki, At

I sent a short email a few days after the deadline at each school letting them know my application was in and encouraging them to contact me if they had any questions about myself and my interest in the program, but I can see how contacting professors waaaay after the deadline could be interpreted as grasping at straws.

• 1 year later...

I followed this thread and had no intention of contacting potential advisors. But...

I emailed a prof today anyway and now I am conflicted about it. I didn't ask about my application, but I did mention I was an applicant (in the spirit of full-disclosure). He was a prof that I originally thought did not share any of my interests. However, I was checking the department website today and saw he's teaching a course this semester that I am totally interested in. So I emailed him to ask if I could get a copy of the syllabus and if he had time to meet with me to discuss his ideas about the field. (I'm on the same campus in a different grad program, and applied to his program for a dual degree.)

One the one hand, I am not trying to weasel my way in. On the other hand, it could be interpreted that way. I don't know if he's on the adcom, and decisions should be coming in the next two weeks.

Did I make a foolish, foolish mistake?

Maybe I'm the exception, but I contacted two profs after I submitted my app. The process has no official interview process, but I managed to get in-person "informal" interviews. Two days later, I got an unofficial acceptance via e-mail from both profs.

Before emailing, I asked the grad coordinator if it was presumptuous at all and she said no.

Maybe it depends on the faculty and the program.

I wouldn't worry about it. If they're that easily perturbed, and deny you because you reminded them that you exist, do you really want to be in that stingy of a department? I don't. Actually, I just sent an email to a faculty member that we discussed working on a project together. Asked if there was any news, and further explained my interests. And I sent another one to a faculty member that was listed in my SOP but hadn't contacted yet.

Like I said earlier, if I get denied because I sent them an extra email, then I probably wouldn't want to be there. What if they are waiting on an applicant with your interest, and haven't seen any applications yet? If you let them know/remind them, perhaps they'll go looking for your application.

It might just be me thinking this way, since I've already been accepted to a worthy program, so what happens, happens.

Adieu

Agree with kingmak. When the profs talked to me in person they sounded like they already reviewed my app beforehand. I can only guess that they pulled it out of the pile because I emailed again.

And fortuitously, the official adcom met 30 minutes after my interviews with them.

If they get annoyed by one email, then they probably wouldn't be attentive advisers to begin with. Or it could prompt them to single you out and see that you have initiative and are genuinely interested in their program.