Annoying writing habits...

Hi y'all,

Most unforgivable writing habit?

Not a native speaker myself so I am pretty loose in terms of others making mistakes -- grammar, diction, false assumptions, overusing superlatives, spelling my name wrong...all perfectly understandable.

But missing a full stop at the end of the very last sentence -- that makes me mad and murderous.

(This isn't one-time forgetfulness however -- It's always the same person over and over, no matter how many times you threaten and curse -- they send you an utterly sweet "xoxo" apology and again forget the one tiny dot! )

What about you guys?

Regards,

h.

people who make a point of not ending sentences with a preposition, imply/infer confusion, not using the subjunctive.

also, not being okay with me saying y'all. other languages have second person plural forms, it's clearer than saying only 'you', and it's more politically correct than the yankee 'you guys'.

"from whence it came."

Apparently almost no one knows this anymore (or, indeed, in the last 100 years or so, just saw Arthur Conan Doyle use it!) but it is, in fact, grammatically incorrect and redundant. Whence is "where" but with the "from" bit already included, so "from whence" essentially means "from-from where it came." I love me some ablative, so my heart breaks a little every time someone uses "from whence." Doesn't exactly annoy me though (I mean, I'd be angry at just about the whole world if it did) just makes me sad...

Similarly, people who go out of their way to SOUND grammatically smart, but are in fact using incorrect grammar. See: using "whom" when you actually DO mean "who". Or: "Person and I," as in "come hang out with Sarah and I for ice skating." It's just that they're trying so hard to sound smart that they don't actually care if they're RIGHT...

Edited by Loimographia

See: using "whom" when you actually DO mean "who". Or: "Person and I," as in "come hang out with Sarah and I for ice skating." It's just that they're trying so hard to sound smart that they don't actually care if they're RIGHT...

These two things drive me crazy, especially the second one. It's ME, just say "me." It will be all right-- saying "Sarah and me" will not make you sound hillbilly. I suppose I feel passionately about these things.

I hate when people are grammar nazis in general. Yes, thank you, I know how to use grammar correctly, I'm a freaking English major. That doesn't mean I'm going to go out of my way to use it correctly when speaking in colloquial situations.

For instance, I have a friend who will correct me if I use double negatives or say "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less." I suffer from a perpetual case of inarticulateness. I know how to use the grammar, it just never comes out right.

Also, I hate when my mom texts. She doesn't use ANY punctuation. Usually texting etiquette doesn't bother me too much; I can handle a "youre" or even a "ur." But her texts usually read like: "Having chicken for dinner ok dad will pick u up at train at 5 call if hes late"

That annoys me. Also, typos on the covers of textbooks. If they're inside, I'm fine with that. Copy editors are human, I forgive them. But not on the cover, please.

"from whence it came."

Apparently almost no one knows this anymore (or, indeed, in the last 100 years or so, just saw Arthur Conan Doyle use it!) but it is, in fact, grammatically incorrect and redundant. Whence is "where" but with the "from" bit already included, so "from whence" essentially means "from-from where it came." I love me some ablative, so my heart breaks a little every time someone uses "from whence." Doesn't exactly annoy me though (I mean, I'd be angry at just about the whole world if it did) just makes me sad...

Similarly, people who go out of their way to SOUND grammatically smart, but are in fact using incorrect grammar. See: using "whom" when you actually DO mean "who". Or: "Person and I," as in "come hang out with Sarah and I for ice skating." It's just that they're trying so hard to sound smart that they don't actually care if they're RIGHT...

These two things drive me crazy, especially the second one. It's ME, just say "me." It will be all right-- saying "Sarah and me" will not make you sound hillbilly. I suppose I feel passionately about these things.

I don't think people are necessarily trying to sound smart, I just think that they think those instances are correct.

People that just can't grasp the difference between there, their, and they're. Or too, to, and two. Get. It. Together! You are a grown-up. If you didn't master this in 2nd grade, THERE is a serious problem. Or is it their? LOL I see this EVERY day at work from people that are making well over six figures. Where did I go wrong?

Edited by lolopixie

I was just a lowly English minor in undergrad, so I don't pretend to be a grammar/writing expert.

I do have a few peeves though:

- Confusing "affect" / "effect"

- Using "impacted" to mean "affected" (the debate continues regarding this one I guess, but somehow I still cringe whenever a news reporter talks about how a person has "been impacted")

- "Grammer" (especially when discussing/criticizing someone's grammar)

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿ throwing in some roses and love here :D✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿ ✿

Edited by h.s.

I get annoyed when people cling to rules that aren't rules (or are no longer rules). It is totally acceptable to split infinitives or end a sentence with a preposition (in many cases). Following them (unnecessarily) often leads to awkward phrases.

EDIT: Another pet peeve: people who use parentheses too often.

Edited by WellSpring

I hate "utilize" when it just uselessly replaces "use". Ugly.

I absolutely love regional variations in speech though, especially the Southern construction "might should". And I love that "y'all" exists, it makes so much sense. I only wish it didn't sound ridiculous in my accent.

Also: motherfuckers who pronounce 'wh' words like 'hw'.

LOL

I know this is just a pronunciation thing, but saying words this way does sound pretentious as hell.

And while I realize that ending a sentence with a preposition is no longer considered grammatically incorrect, it can still be wrong. Every time I hear "Where's it at?" I die a little inside. Same with seeing your in place of you're.

Mostly i hear it from pendants who don't know the difference between English and Latin grammar re preposition placement, the type who make a conscious effort to let you know they're better than you because they speak betterer.

DFW had an interesting review of Brian Garner's usage dictionary where he talks a good deal about usage/grammar.

I get annoyed when people cling to rules that aren't rules (or are no longer rules). It is totally acceptable to split infinitives or end a sentence with a preposition (in many cases). Following them (unnecessarily) often leads to awkward phrases.

EDIT: Another pet peeve: people who use parentheses too often.

I can't bring myself to split infinitives or end sentences with prepositions, even if they aren't rules. It just sounds so wrong to me. Social conditioning, I suppose? ^_^

I think the only writing habit that actually annoys me is a general one: overwritten prose. I think there's a world of difference between sophisticated, complex prose and overwritten prose. The former is fine (and can be great, sometimes); the latter is awful.

I can't bring myself to split infinitives or end sentences with prepositions, even if they aren't rules. It just sounds so wrong to me. Social conditioning, I suppose? ^_^

I think the only writing habit that actually annoys me is a general one: overwritten prose. I think there's a world of difference between sophisticated, complex prose and overwritten prose. The former is fine (and can be great, sometimes); the latter is awful.

I agree, Two Espressos; one thinks of Brooks' "Well Wrought Urn". However, academic prose is so finicky; word choice is so important, especially when you're training yourself to think and write in a way that will be subject to the scrutiny of academic journal editors. So, for those of us who have a tendency to over-think, sometimes the limits of sensible word choice and tasteful construction are easy to breach. Sometimes I read my writing sample on Derrida and I think "hey, good for me, I treated a convoluted, highly idiosyncratic piece of writing with a clearness and directness that should get me noticed". But then 2 days later I'll look at the exact same sample and I'll think "OMG I sound like a dick". Anyone else have this?

Also: I'm all about progressive use of language and informality (I did grow up on a farm after all), but I HATE when people say "irregardless". I will never change my mind on this. It's a blend of "irrespective" and "regardless", two perfectly good English words. Misusing them is the standard for underprepared, undereducated politicians who want to sound smart and just blurt out whatever comes to mind on Fox News (Palin's "refudiate" circa 2008 comes to mind), and it represents muddled thinking. An example of good, new language/grammar would be a number of African-American neologisms, which this white boy is not yet quite hip enough to master...

Edited by vertige

Also, "irregardless" has both "ir" and "less", both meaning not - this effectively renders such a neologism morphologically redundant.

Even Palin's "refudiate" has a better argument (no pun intended) for linguistic inclusion.

I agree, Two Espressos; one thinks of Brooks' "Well Wrought Urn". However, academic prose is so finicky; word choice is so important, especially when you're training yourself to think and write in a way that will be subject to the scrutiny of academic journal editors. So, for those of us who have a tendency to over-think, sometimes the limits of sensible word choice and tasteful construction are easy to breach. Sometimes I read my writing sample on Derrida and I think "hey, good for me, I treated a convoluted, highly idiosyncratic piece of writing with a clearness and directness that should get me noticed". But then 2 days later I'll look at the exact same sample and I'll think "OMG I sound like a dick". Anyone else have this?

Also: I'm all about progressive use of language and informality (I did grow up on a farm after all), but I HATE when people say "irregardless". I will never change my mind on this. It's a blend of "irrespective" and "regardless", two perfectly good English words. Misusing them is the standard for underprepared, undereducated politicians who want to sound smart and just blurt out whatever comes to mind on Fox News (Palin's "refudiate" circa 2008 comes to mind), and it represents muddled thinking. An example of good, new language/grammar would be a number of African-American neologisms, which this white boy is not yet quite hip enough to master...

Yes, "irregardless" is a terribly unnecessary word! And I've heard two professors use it. :huh: "Irrespective" is much better.

Also, regarding over-thinking:

I presented a paper (which, in retrospect, was pretty awful) at an undergraduate conference last fall, and after I had finished speaking, I returned to my seat. On the desk of the girl to my left, facing me, was a piece of paper that read something like "used big words to sound smart." Now, this girl had excitedly talked to me about my presentation before the session had started. I'm 100% sure she wanted me to read the note. It was just such an odd, passive-aggressive thing: she never spoke to me again.

Honestly, I didn't just use "big words" to sound intelligent. That's just how I talk and write! I rarely use a thesaurus to find a "bigger" synonym for a word that I'm using. Usually when people do that, it's painfully obvious, lol.

So there... that was a long, tangential story to essentially agree that one can easily breach sensible word choice and tasteful construction, at least in the opinion of odd, passive-aggressive audiences! ^_^