Annoying writing habits...

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿ throwing in some roses and love here :D✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿ ✿

haha, seriously

Grammatical=identifiable by a native speaker as a possible sentence in the given language.

yeah, as a [fellow?] linguist, this stuff is like listening to people complain to each other "hey, you're sneezing the wrong way!" or "you're supposed to stand up/sit down when you pee!"

"Hey! The word stood is supposed to rhyme with food!! Your brain is so small!!!"

I think the most awkward part is when his brother masturbates in the library. But yes, the whole thing is extraordinarily cringe-worthy and just an amazing portrait of a disintegrating family. Favourite line: "Did you get that it was her cunt?"

Although, I'm sure sometimes there's a discrepancy between the conventions for which we come to recognize an author and some of their works. Maybe they mean, like, this work by Kafka is the highest concentration of Kafka essence possible, 100% max extreme Kafka.

I like your style, perrykm2.

haha, seriously

yeah, as a [fellow?] linguist, this stuff is like listening to people complain to each other "hey, you're sneezing the wrong way!" or "you're supposed to stand up/sit down when you pee!"

"Hey! The word stood is supposed to rhyme with food!! Your brain is so small!!!"

Yeah, but isn't it interesting that we even have these peeves in the first place? And that we use them to categorize or pass judgement on people based on their ability to identify a preposition and orient it properly in a complex sentence? Like, some 18th century bachelor's obsession with Latin is actively keeping otherwise qualified applicants out of potential jobs! It's nuts!

Have you ever seen the Squid and the Whale? There's a pretty funny dialogue referring to exactly that.

From wikiquotes: Sophie: [about The Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka] Yeah. I mean, it's gross when he turns into the bug, but I love how matter of fact everything is. Walt: Yeah, it's very Kafkaesque.Sophie: Because it's written by Franz Kafka. Walt: Right. I mean, clearly.

Yeah, The Squid and the Whale is an incredibly awkward (and funny) film. Thanks for reminding me about that quote. ^_^

The father (Walter, I believe) is basically the most petty and narcissistic person ever. And he's an English professor. Oh boy...

Edited by Two Espressos