If you weren't doing what you are doing, what would you be doing?

LLajax

I'd like to become a Potter.

If I don't get in, I'll be applying for Hogwarts. If they reject my PhS (philosopher's stone), I'll just go for MA (muggle area).

Sounds good to me.

For a while I felt compelled to be a lawyer, but now my alternate plan would be avian biology.

Sounds good to me.

For a while I felt compelled to be a lawyer, but now my alternate plan would be avian biology.

Me too, actually. But then I realized that it would most likely make me bitter and I probably wouldn't get to help as many people as I would like.

• 2 weeks later...

As a kid I wanted to be an oilman (petroleum engineer). This came from growing up in oil-rich countries, moving around a lot and living in compounds. I thought it would be fun 'looking for oil' and striking it rich and maybe having bowling aisles in my living room...think the Beverley Hillbillies. Ultimately all the math scared me off.

• 2 weeks later...

Realistically? Law. If I don't get into my program, the plan is to apply to law.. which isn't any easier. It's harder. But that's life.

Dream life: move to LA, make movies. That's still in my plan, I just expect it to take a long time, and for it to be a result of something else rather than the sole focus of my life.

If I weren't gunning for English Language/Linguistics, I'd realistically work to become an editor. Preferably at an academic press, though any kind of steady work would do. Unrealistically, I'd like to do something with my hands...my most supportive prof through this whole process always liked to remind me that if I got a PhD and didn't end up liking academia I could always become a potter.

I would move to Seattle, work at a lesbian bar, rekindle my love for creative writing, drink entirely too much coffee, and wear pretty dresses in the rain.

I love both of these.

If I hadn't been doing my MA, I would've applied for my dream job when it came up: copyediting at a company that publishes roleplaying games. Nerd alert. But yeah, one of my dreams probably after and even during my PhD is to work in publishing, write lots of things, and find some kind of menial yet satisfying work to do. Maybe coffee-slinging. I actually like coffee-slinging.

I'd be a many splendid things.

I wanted to do veterinary med from whenever Free Willy came out till I took Honors Chem in HS (& then tried chem again in college - shockingly, it didn't get easier! ;)). I've also wanted to be an art therapist (what I got in to grad school for last year), a clinical psychologist researching eating disorders or bipolar, a comparative psychologist / animal behaviorist, a hobo artist, a publishing editor, a writer, an English professor specifically in symbolism or the psychology of literary characters, and a theologist.

Current dream life:

To be a veterinary social worker (also willing to consider hospice or grief counseling) with a therapy dog.