If you weren't doing what you are doing, what would you be doing?

LLajax

The whole applications process sort of makes you commit wholeheartedly to ONE THING (not a bad thing, I mean, I'm definitely in love with my super-specific field). Not to suggest you'd cheat on your field or anything, but if you weren't doing what you are doing, what would you all being doing. I love me some Medieval monastic architecture (what I'm applying for), but If that topic suddenly disappeared off the face of the planet and I had to pick something else, it would be Bronze Age Aegean archeaology (Mycenaeans! Woohoo!).

Anybody else? I'm always curious about what people's other interests are. You know, since we're sort of defining our lives by our major interests now.

I was discouraged to become a math major by my dad (who majored in math and loves math). I may be a math student now if it wasn't for him.

As much as I like my current field. I have always thought about being a vet or researching/practicing traditional Chinese medicine, or even fusion of the two ^_^. Acupuncture for your dog anyone?

That's an interesting question.

I changed several subjects before I found my calling and don't want to do anything else now.

But if I hadn't discovered that this discipline suits my tastes and inclinations, I could have been an astrophysicist, a clinical psychologist or an Italian, Greek or French literature academic.

Yes, I have diverse interests! :)

I'm really interested in political history in Europe, but in almost every PoliSci class I took I would write about things related to Africa. If I had to change, I'd probably go straight political science and go work in an NGO or some IR job, focusing on Africa.

That or physics. I really enjoyed physics.

I guess I just like quantitative data. Haha.

If Computer Science and I ever had a falling out, then I doubt I would have gotten involved with EE (they're BFFs). So, I probably would have settled for Math or Physics.

Something like English would have been fun, for awhile... but I just couldn't see us lasting for the long haul - too free-spirited for me.

I'd become a trauma nurse. I did really well as an EMT and the paramedics I spoke to all said to skip that step and go right to trauma nurse. Better hours, better pay, and so on. But I don't want to become a trauma nurse. My parents both work as hospital technicians and the medical field seems horrendous.

Someone please accept me? :mellow:

I'm a linguist. I love linguistics but if I were better at math in undergrad I probably never would have dropped my first major (Geology) and I would probably be in grad school studying earthquakes and volcanos. But alas, my major changed and now I am going down a totally different path.

Additionally, I have a quasi-ridiculous obsession with commercial airplanes and I've always dreamed about being a pilot or even a flight attendant. Very different jobs but cool in their own way. My goal at this point is to devise a linguistics experiment involving flight attendants while they are working... just for an excuse to fly.

If it weren't for linguistics, I'd probably go for physics again. Or philosophy. Maybe geology and computer science.

I tend to change my hobbies now and then. For a couple of months I'm into geology, then I'm into American history, then I'm totally into biochemistry etc. I cannot really settle, there's so much to learn. I cannot imagine myself doing the same thing for the rest of my life, so these hobbies are my sanctuary. Volatility - that's me.

I would probably be in mathematics, physics or linguistics; although, my interests in linguistics grew out of my studies in philosophy. Philosophy is great because it is so compartmentalized that you get to, and must, indulge in separate interests. If you are also interested in linguistics, for example, then philosophy of language is a great avenue, or, given different interests, then the philosophy of mathematics, formal logic, philosophy of physics or biology or psychology, etc.

I also have interests in urban planning.

Unfortunately the prospects of all these fields are few.

creative writing - fiction/nonfiction

Same. I'd probably be trying to get into Iowa's summer workshop. Or into journalism. Or into any number of other fields that interest me ... English, Philosophy, Media Studies, Sustainable Development.

I am interested in lots of things and qualified for none of them, basically.

Dentistry. And for anyone who knows me, this is about as far from my current field as I could possibly get (I'm not even in sciences, or anything that could remotely be considered science-y). I've just always had the internal belief that I could do it better than any dentist I've ever had. There's absolutely no empirical evidence to back this up of course, but still. The strange "what if" dream has always been there. lol

Dentistry. And for anyone who knows me, this is about as far from my current field as I could possibly get (I'm not even in sciences, or anything that could remotely be considered science-y). I've just always had the internal belief that I could do it better than any dentist I've ever had. There's absolutely no empirical evidence to back this up of course, but still. The strange "what if" dream has always been there. lol

My significant other recently had a dentist tell him that he's too old to learn to brush and floss properly (26), so he should just come in for cleanings every 3 months -- so I'm guessing you'd be better than that guy for sure.

Within my field, I'd probably want to go for golden age Dutch painting (maybe.. portraiture?)

Otherwise, culinary school and a job at a vegetarian restaurant like Moosewood.

If I ever decided to veer off the neuroscience research path, it would be to study/practice mind-body medicine and other complementary/alternative methods of wellness and healing.

Or to deviate a little further, I'd love to spend another life as a wilderness adventure guide, leading groups on crazy mountain hikes or kayaking expeditions!

Edited by starstuff