If you weren't doing what you are doing, what would you be doing?

LLajax

If I weren't in the field I was right now, I would be a historian, or maybe looking to own a teashop with a sort of mini-library.

Your alternate life has my alternate (alternate-alternate?) life! Another girl from my ungrad and I decided our back up plan would be to open a tea shop near our college. I named it Sovereign-Tea.

Ahh, if only.

As far as other fields of study, I definitely dig philosophy and linguistics. But if I were to totally ditch academia altogether... I like teaching, it's something I look forward to as part of my current career plans, so I might pursue that. Probably elementary school, since I love kids.

There are careers out there that I'm sure I'd enjoy, but in all honesty my fulfillment would likely come from some other area of life, like family. Cognitive psychology's just where it's at! Nothing else tugs at the heart strings quite as much.

If I didn't go into biosciences I'd probably try engineering (I struggled to choose between the two). If I weren't doing that I'd probably be some sort of social worker (do quite a bit of volunteering at shelters and such already).

Probably culinary school or working at a publishing house (my chosen field is biology, so I guess those are pretty far removed!). I know I'm going to write down the road, but that'll be an eventual thing - I don't think I'm ready to do it now :)

Edited by coonskee

Your alternate life has my alternate (alternate-alternate?) life! Another girl from my ungrad and I decided our back up plan would be to open a tea shop near our college. I named it Sovereign-Tea.

Ahh, if only.

Ha! I also thought up my tea shop plan with another person, one of my best friends- she'd be in charge of baking goodies to be sold on the side, while I'd be in charge of the main inventory. If only indeed!

Go with my retirement plan early- start a small hobby farm with a few boarders, at least 2 horses (one pony for me to hunt and show with and a stocky trail buddy for DH), a few dogs, some sheep, maybe some goats and NO chickens! DH would have no idea what to do since he can barely stay up right in a saddle much less able to pick a hoof or deworm anything but I would be happy and busy.

Or start raising and training Corgis for agility and herding with my friend who is going into the same field. She has slightly better prospects since her area actually makes money (and is relatively more glamorous, how is that fair?) but we're both freaking out since the job market is more than saturated on all ends of the spectrum.

My dream was always to be a volcanologist. I ended up stuck in the middle of the prairies for 11 years though, not the ideal place to study them! Ended up doing my undergrad in a field I really don't care about in order to make a living to support a family member.

I feel entirely too old to start down the volcanology track now - by the time I would be able to do what I want I would be late 40's, a bit too old to start tromping around active lava fields. but if all had been different, thats what I would be doing.

I love Moosewood! And the Finger Lakes... in summer.

I've only ever been at the tail end of winter.. so beautiful, SO COLD. But between Moosewood, that amazing place with tofu burritos, the waffle restaurant, huge used bookstore and thrift shop, the hiking... I was in heaven.

I feel entirely too old to start down the volcanology track now - by the time I would be able to do what I want I would be late 40's, a bit too old to start tromping around active lava fields. but if all had been different, thats what I would be doing.

Late 40's is not too old to start tromping around active lava fields!! Don't ever, ever fall into the "I'm too old" trap.

(I am biased, of course: http://unlikelygrad.wordpress.com/2009/10/11/never-too-old/ )

If I wasn't pursuing sociology, then I think I would have liked to pursue filmmaking. I would still make films related to my research interests or make subtle political statements. It's kind of my back up plan -- if I can't get into academia, then I'll go the art route.

If I weren't gunning for English Language/Linguistics, I'd realistically work to become an editor. Preferably at an academic press, though any kind of steady work would do. Unrealistically, I'd like to do something with my hands...my most supportive prof through this whole process always liked to remind me that if I got a PhD and didn't end up liking academia I could always become a potter.

Probably would have lived on a farm with my SO and started my own artisanal jam and cheese business. Also would have been a fantastic banjo player by now...but that darn thesis is always getting in the way of my frailin'.

this sounds way better than grad school