Acceptances/Rejections/Decisions

sociology27

I don't know if it helps or hurts, but I have it on good info (personal contact in the SOC dept) that USC has made it's choices and is busy setting up funding for the 10 people they accepted this year! It's more acceptances than in the last couple of years, so good luck all! :)

Wow...only 10 people were accepted to USC? Does anybody know how many people applied?

I think USC generally has small cohorts of 4-5... I heard though that they have really great funding, between $22-30K. I didn't hear many on the forum apply though - does wannabeaphd want to fill us in on who/how they know someone in the department? maybe start a USC thread?

I will claim one of the University of Washington acceptances from today! Got a congratulations email, details coming in the mail. Immediately emailed a few of my POIs, one of whom said that it was still early in the admissions process, so those of us who posted today must have been early admits. Good luck to my fellow applicants!

congratulations!

Also got an acceptance from UW today! Again through a "congratulations" email, though based off some of the other schools i wouldn't be surprised to receive a call from an interested professor sometime soon

Jen and Masha -

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your credentials with us, and perhaps who your POIs were?

Total GRE: 1450. GPA: 3.95 on 4.0 scale. Very good LOR, probably less stellar personal statements... Had undergraduate teaching and research asssistanships, and two papers published in undergraduate journals.

Research interests: social movements, rhetoric, racial and ethnic politics, inequality and stratification, politics of abortion. Mentioned Drs. Kyle Crowder and Steven Ptaff in my statement of purpose, though didn't talk to any professors ahead of time.

Total GRE: 1450. GPA: 3.95 on 4.0 scale. Very good LOR, probably less stellar personal statements... Had undergraduate teaching and research asssistanships, and two papers published in undergraduate journals.

Research interests: social movements, rhetoric, racial and ethnic politics, inequality and stratification, politics of abortion. Mentioned Drs. Kyle Crowder and Steven Ptaff in my statement of purpose, though didn't talk to any professors ahead of time.

Impressive! Well, congratulations, that's really awesome. I have different POIs, but if by some stroke of luck we end up at the same place, I'd be interested to hear your research on the politics of abortion. I study gender, sex, and sexuality as well as women's health. :)

I heard back from my first school last Thursday (around 7:30pm) via email that I needed to check my application status. This email came while sitting on the tarmac waiting for my flight to Vegas to take off...

Florida State has accepted me into their Ph.D. program with full funding. That includes a 20k/year stipend, TA/GA position, office space, etc. The only thing lacking is health insurance which I think I (or my parents) can cough up for $1200.

I have a 3.8, GRE: 163 verbal, 142 quant, 5 writing. I also had excellent LORs and a fabulous statement explaining how I went from a "professional" receptionist to applying for PhD programs :)

Along with that, I sent in a VERY ugly community college transcript that showed 4 years of failure before "the comback". So they definitely saw my 1.5 jump to a 3.5 in community college....

This is the first school I've heard from and honestly if it's the only one, I'm super psyched and can't wait.

I heard back from my first school last Thursday (around 7:30pm) via email that I needed to check my application status. This email came while sitting on the tarmac waiting for my flight to Vegas to take off...

Florida State has accepted me into their Ph.D. program with full funding. That includes a 20k/year stipend, TA/GA position, office space, etc. The only thing lacking is health insurance which I think I (or my parents) can cough up for $1200.

I have a 3.8, GRE: 163 verbal, 142 quant, 5 writing. I also had excellent LORs and a fabulous statement explaining how I went from a "professional" receptionist to applying for PhD programs :)

Along with that, I sent in a VERY ugly community college transcript that showed 4 years of failure before "the comback". So they definitely saw my 1.5 jump to a 3.5 in community college....

This is the first school I've heard from and honestly if it's the only one, I'm super psyched and can't wait.

Congrats!

sounds like there will be a lot of notifications this week, good luck to all! I am definitely not looking forward to the suspense a year from now when I'll be finding out where I will have been accepted/rejected.

A plane would be the most frustrating place to get such awesome news. I suppose they'd frown on jumping up and down and yelling on a flight these days. :) Congratulations to you!!!

Hi all, sorry for the cloak and dagger. My partner is in the program at USC so I have a bit of an inside track there. Also, for the record, I'm in education, not Soc, but I wanted to give you all an update, since I have some info! I'd want someone to do the same for me.

USC usually does have small cohorts of 3-5, but this year they've decided to admit 10 people. Not all of those will go of course, but they are shooting for a larger cohort this year. Basically I just wanted to let you all know that they've selected a large cohort, so more people than usual will be recieving offers, and that the letters should go out soon because all they need to do now is secure funding for all of the admitted students. Btw, the funding is spectacular there, if it's anything like what was offered to the students last year!

Ohio State decisions are posted on the website! Unfortunately a rejection for me, but all in all, not too bummed about it. Hope others on this forum fare better!

Even though I didn't apply to Ohio State, this is now making me want to log into all of my application accounts to see if any other program posted something.

@giacomo: I suppose that there could be a discussion here about the fungibility of "rankings", but yes, I did get into Indiana and Duke, both of which I am excited about! It's already been stated on this forum but I do think that there is a lot of room for variability when it comes to schools you do and do not get into. My sense is that (to a certain extent) it's a crapshoot really with any of the top 20 schools. Different schools have different criteria, so who knows where one will land. Best of luck to you giacomo!