Acceptances/Rejections/Decisions

sociology27

I got accepted to UCLA today too! Congrats to the other admits!

And SocHope, it was an email from Ching Kwan Lee, who is the chair of admissions.

Ah, thanks! There's a dearth of UCLA sociology stats in the survey results, but it looks like there MIGHT be a slim chance acceptances come in at least two waves. So I'll hold my breath for now I guess. =/

I got into UCLA as well. I was sulking about my 3 rejections on Monday while watching storage wars, and suddenly I'm going out with friends to celebrate. Very excited.

Sulking watching storage wars!? Impossible.

(Congrats to all who got into UCLA!)

Edited by quantitative

Would any UCLA admits like to share their stats/interests?

I haven't heard anything from there yet and I thought I had a fairly good chance... : /

I have a BS in Finance and an MA in Sociology from the University of Kansas. 3.99 undergrad GPA and 4.0 MA GPA. 650 Verbal and 780 quant GRE. No pubs, but had one under review when I submitted applications (which has since been rejected). Letters were from 3 pretty respected scholars in the areas of gender, sexuality, and theory/globalization--which are also my interests in addition to urban sociology. I also worked for a year in the finance industry during its spectacular collapse in 2008, which provided me with the moral and personal indignation to change fields and pursue something that actually benefits society.

Edited by MarxianSociologist

So when will UCR start with their acceptances? I saw one rejection. They haven't already sent out acceptances, have they?

I'm not sure. I thought that one random rejection was a little out of the blue as well. I just logged in and my application is still under review.

Just got good new from Maryland! Can't believe that I got accepted there, really. I am stoked, but my decision is going to be a hard one.

However, they were the first school that didn't make mention of any funding in the email. Just, "more info to follow." Do you guys know if this is necessarily bad or if sometimes it just means they haven't decided yet?

Accepted: UCI, Penn State, U Maryland

Waiting: Brown, Penn, U Washington, Johns Hopkins

Just got good new from Maryland! Can't believe that I got accepted there, really. I am stoked, but my decision is going to be a hard one.

However, they were the first school that didn't make mention of any funding in the email. Just, "more info to follow." Do you guys know if this is necessarily bad or if sometimes it just means they haven't decided yet?

Accepted: UCI, Penn State, U Maryland

Waiting: Brown, Penn, U Washington, Johns Hopkins

I don't know about Maryland specifically, but usually it's not necessarily "bad." Some departments do things in waves, acceptances first, followed by funding info. Since the department coordinator usually is in the center of all the chaos, it makes their life easier to do it step-by-step instead of having to be responsible for all the outgoing information at one time. Don't freak out yet. :)

I would imagine UMD will fund their whole cohort, so I don't think no news is bad news. Usually it's a matter of identifying which funding streams are appropriate for respective students. For example, some schools offer university-wide fellowships, and departments will put forward strong grad students for consideration. Or there are minority student fellowships and scholarships or scholarships for students working on a certain topic. They just need to piece together their funding for next year.

Edit: And most importantly, Congratulations!!

Edited by SocialGroovements

I have a BS in Finance and an MA in Sociology from the University of Kansas. 3.99 undergrad GPA and 4.0 MA GPA. 650 Verbal and 780 quant GRE. No pubs, but had one under review when I submitted applications (which has since been rejected). Letters were from 3 pretty respected scholars in the areas of gender, sexuality, and theory/globalization--which are also my interests in addition to urban sociology. I also worked for a year in the finance industry during its spectacular collapse in 2008, which provided me with the moral and personal indignation to change fields and pursue something that actually benefits society.

Thanks for the info! I had a similar experience (working in a field - journalism - for a bit and realizing I wanted to do something more beneficial to society). Similar numbers, no MA though. Hoping good news is still coming my way!

Congrats!

I'm waiting to hear back from Johns Hopkins too. However, it doesn't seem like many people from here applied there. From looking at previous years, I believe we will start to hear back from them in a couple of weeks

I bet you study world-system analysis, given that you applied to Binghamton, JHU, and UCR. :ph34r: I have a friend who study at Binghamton and but he told me that he is current under *terrible* financial pressure because the department lacks money for their TAship or RAship.