Acceptances/Rejections/Decisions

sociology27

The problem I see with MAPPS is that if you started in 2012 it would be unlikely to help you in time for the beginning of the 2013 application cycle, because you haven't developed a thesis and had less time to make connections with new references.

ditto...

The problem I see with MAPPS is that if you started in 2012 it would be unlikely to help you in time for the beginning of the 2013 application cycle, because you haven't developed a thesis and had less time to make connections with new references.

My unsolicited advice: Unless you are independently wealthy, and/or this is your absolute only option and you know you absolutely have to start grad school in the fall, don't do it. MAPSS is a notorious cash cow for the university. Even if they offer you a 1/3 or 1/2 (or full) scholarship, you're still looking at private school tuition, fees, and living expenses. Unlike the option of investing in a professional masters, an MA from MAPSS is a purely academic degree. It's not going to do a lot for your employment prospects if you end up not going on to finish a PhD. MAPSS is an 'onramp' with a lot of risk, expense, and no guarantees.

Chicago is not an especially nurturing school, and MAPSS students are at the bottom of a steep graduate school hierarchy. They have to fight harder than first year PhD students for the attention and respect of professors. Most people in the MA cohort are hoping to use the program as a stepping stone for admission to top-20 PhD programs, and they're investing good money to ensure that outcome - there's a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and animosity with other students who are perceived to be competitors more than they are colleagues.

That said, those who do come out on tops in MAPSS are successful in gaining admission into top PhD programs, so I'm sure you'll find some students for who will speak highly of the program on the basis of that outcome. To anyone who is seriously considering MAPSS, take care to do your due diligence in determining if it's going to be an environment where you can thrive and be well prepared to achieve your goals. It's certainly not for everyone. I should say that I am speaking here not from first-hand experience, but through the received wisdom of a number of friends and colleagues who are PhD students (and one MAPSS student) at Chicago.

This is mostly false. PM me if you got into mapss and want to talk about it.

This is mostly false. PM me if you got into mapss and want to talk about it.

If you're a MAPSS student having a different experience, please share it on the forum.

As I said in my post, I am not writing from direct experience. What I have written here is a distillation of what a number of friends and colleagues have told me about the program, and grad student life at Chicago in general. Postings on several other threads do complement the information I have posted here.

I think one of the strengths of GradCafe is that we're all able to talk openly about the graduate school experience. Every prospective student is unique and looking for something slightly different. So please share your insights openly so that prospective MAPSS students can glean insight from a variety of viewpoints.

Looks like a ton of Washington University rejections came out after this weekend (their recruitment weekend). This doesn't bode well for those of us who are "wait listed" and waiting for other schools' recruitment weekends to pass.....

Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt coming out of the programs at Rutgers or Minnesota (Twin Cities)? Those are the only two programs I have not had any word from.

On the Rutgers note: Were you interviewed? I wasn't interviewed and was growing anxious so I reached out. They have not sent out official rejections yet but the DGS said I was not being considered. Which I'd assumed from the silence well into March. But then again I've technically not heard anything from a few programs. The rejection is assumed I supposed.

On the Rutgers note: Were you interviewed? I wasn't interviewed and was growing anxious so I reached out. They have not sent out official rejections yet but the DGS said I was not being considered. Which I'd assumed from the silence well into March. But then again I've technically not heard anything from a few programs. The rejection is assumed I supposed.

I have heard absolutely nothing from Rutgers at this point, no interviews, nothing. Based on your experience I believe it likely that I too have been rejected.... just not notified.

I know that the Canadian applicants/schools are a little under-represented on this thread, but in case it's of interest to anyone...

I just got an acceptance to York University's PhD program in Sociology! I'm currently sitting on a University of Toronto offer and will need to start the neurotic pro/con lists; I can't believe that I'm in a position to choose!

Any insight or willful nudges towards one or the other welcome!

If anyone wants more details let me know!

Rejected from BU because my LORs were not in on time.

"Your application for admission to the graduate program in Sociology for the Fall 2012 Semester was withdrawn from consideration because it was deemed incomplete by the department at the application deadline."

The only thing missing was my LORs. A bad way for that to go down, in my opinion.

[i've been waiting long enough to ask this question, I think...]

Still haven't heard anything from UCLA and Northwestern (checked both online applications and they both state a decision has bot been made yet). To the best of my knowledge both places already sent out both acceptances and rejections. I have some other good, perhaps better, options, but still - it would be nice to know. Anyone else in the same position? What are your thoughts?

I haven't heard anything from Boston University (BU) or Northeastern. I saw a number of people got accepted and there was a recent rejection posted from BU. Did you contact them to find out or have they sent out their notifications?

I haven't heard anything from Boston University (BU) or Northeastern. I saw a number of people got accepted and there was a recent rejection posted from BU. Did you contact them to find out or have they sent out their notifications?

I haven't heard anything from Northeastern, but BU emailed me.

I was accepted into Virginia Tech for the Master's program in Sociology. They informed me by email on February 10th and by letter on February 15th.

I applied to six schools — Bowling Green State, Clemson, Florida State, Ole Miss, and Tennessee being the others — and the only other school that I've heard from is Tennessee, my alma mater, and they have invited me to attend a prospective student visit.

For reference, my stats are:

Total GPA: 3.28

Last Two Years GPA: 3.65

Sociology GPA: 3.62

GRE: V-152, Q-151, AW-4.0

Good luck to all.

Congrats!! I just joined the forum today, as I was looking around online to see if anyone had heard from VT yet. I applied to their Sociology program, as well, and they're the only school at which I applied. Unfortunately, I was late taking my GRE, so I still haven't heard anything, but you give me a little hope! Did they mention anything about Assistanship yet? :)