An exercise in prognostication

tetrandra

Hi everyone,

I'm a 2nd-time applicant to a PhD program in the social sciences. I was waitlisted last year at this program, and it is the only program that I would like to attend at this point--no safety schools for me! Yikes.

Last year I nearly lost my mind with anxiety during the loooong wait. I'm doing my best to prevent that from happening this year (it helps that I'm much busier this time around), but I can't help my lame tendency every day to uselessly "calculate" my chances.

I've searched the forums on this topic but have found little information: Does anyone have experience reapplying to a program after being waitlisted? Does anyone think that a previous waitlist status works in your favor? I imagine that it probably depends a lot on the current crop of applicants, but I've significantly improved my application through work experience and I've addressed the two comments I received from the admissions officer (contacted faculty, tailored my statement a bit to emphasize fit).

I'd appreciate any feedback, cheerleading, or gradcafe equivalent of an anxiolytic. :)

Happy waiting, everyone!

Good luck!

I'm looking to forecast several options in case this doesn't pan out for me. So, I'm applying to several jobs and working in two jobs that I really need to get out of! This helps pass the time a little, I think...

But, yeah I'm still also running through the different hypotheticals for my floating applications too - so if anyone does have some benzos, please share!

I've addressed the two comments I received from the admissions officer (contacted faculty, tailored my statement a bit to emphasize fit).

If you managed to get waitlisted without a tailored statement and you have since done so AND otherwise improved you application, sounds like you should be a shoe-in. IMHO.