• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't heard anything from UVA since December, but I just received an (unsolicited) e-mail from Gordon Braden. He says there were 340 applicants and 12 PhD slots. Needless to say, I didn't get a slot. There's the offer of an unfunded MA, but I'll leave that topic to the lively discussion in other threads. UVA, it could have been great, but we part ways here. No hard feelings.

Best of luck, though, to the rest of you who haven't heard anything yet.

Edit: In case anyone wonders, my online application status is still simply 'submitted'. I don't know whether that will ever change or whether it's even supposed to be updated when results are in.

Edited by Lyrus

Wait, you just got an email out of the blue? This is so strange! What is UVA doing?!

I don't know what they're doing, but it seems unfunded MA offers are a likely bet at the moment. The e-mail arrived just around 19:00, and I had no prior contact with UVA other than the applications process (which for me did not include any POIs or other personal contact).

Same situation as Lyrus. I got rejected everywhere else. No clue what I'm doing. It would probably be a terrible idea... SIGH. UVa is SO AMAZING, though.

Rough luck, IM. I trust you'll find something satisfying to do, whether or not you want to tackle this nightmare again next year. Edited by Lyrus

My last name starts with B, so I would have received my answer earlier if that had been the method. A current grad student there told me that they're not finished making selections/notifying candidates yet. Don't know how accurate/up-to-date this information is, but there is still some hope if you haven't heard.

Who posted the post about a rejection via e-mail earlier today? I wish they'd go ahead and reject me already (no reply still to my e-mail from two days ago.)

I posted the rejection earlier. Not surprising, and it wasn't a great fit, but still a bit of a bummer. Good luck to those of you still waiting! I have heard they are still in decision mode.