Applied to HKS MPP but emailed and asked to consider switching to MC/MPA???

renmen

I have been searching for hours and I can't find anyone discussing this scenario. I applied to the HKS MPP program. Today I received an email from the director of admissions stating:

Greetings from Harvard Kennedy School. The Admissions Committee has had the opportunity to complete a preliminary review of your file and I have been asked to contact you regarding your intended program of study. You may or may not know that HKS offers four different Master programs. Each program has a general profile and some have specific qualifications. While it is acceptable for applicants to choose the program s/he thinks is the best fit, occasionally the Committee will ask me to contact applicants to confirm with the applicant the course of study the applicant feels is best. Based upon the amount of work experience you have, you do qualify for our Mid-Career MPA Program.

After you have had a chance to review this information, please let me know if you wish to continue to be considered as an MPP applicant or if you would like to be considered for the Mid-Career MPA Program. The Committee will only review applicants for one program – we will not consider an applicant for two programs. I should note all of our programs are fiercely competitive. When you have had the opportunity to review this email and the links provided please reply and let me know your decision. If you have questions you are welcome to email them to me.

Has anyone heard of this or know anyone that this happened too? I earned my undergrad in 2002 and have been working full time for exactly 7 years so it isn't as if I applied with an exorbitant amount of experience. I'd appreciate any comments!

Hmmm. If I were you I would try to find the stats on admissions rates. If the mid-career is a bit easier to get into because so few people meet the professional requirements (and I imagine that is true...a lot of high-level people prob aren't looking to go back to school whereas a million people 3-5 years out are applying these days) then maybe you should switch. Also if they are mailing you about your qualifications then that means they think that you do (at least technically) qualify for the mid-career degree. From what I understand I think you also save money on a year's less tuition?

Either way I'd say the e-mail is a good sign that your app didn't just get tossed!

I have already applied to MC/MPA with a 7 years of work experience. I think it may fit you better than a MPP program because there will be younger and less experienced people than you and I agree with the below comment that this is a really good sign. There are many high-ranking officials from various backgrounds in MC/MPA program and I believe it may be a better networking opportunity for you than the other program. Besides giving 50k less will hurt less :)

Thanks for your responses. It's difficult to find acceptance information but from what I gather it is easier to gain admittance to the MC/MPA program. It's also a savings of around $30,000 which doesn't hurt. I do agree that the networking and life experiences will be much richer in the mid career program. I am going to email today with my decision to switch. If I get rejected now it will be much harder to take than if I was rejected before this email!

My intuitive answer is that the director contacted you because you are a strong fit for mid-career MPA program. If I were in your shoes, I’d ask myself the following question: What if I was rejected from the MPP program because it was targeted towards applicants with fewer years of experience? I personally think you stand a better shot at the EMPA, so you might want to consider that. Never sell yourself too short.

I'm interested in finding out exactly what that email means because I just got a similar email. Thing is that I applied for a joint-degree program - MPP/MBA. The email indicated that I'm now being considered for MPA2 and HKS has a policy of considering each application for only one program at a time.

Hi Maestro- did the email ask if you wanted to switch or notify you of the switch? I know from reading the forums from last year's applicants that HKS was automatically switching applicants to other programs without notifying them. This could be why they are now sending a notification email. I did email the director back and switch to MC/MPA.

I'm interested in finding out exactly what that email means because I just got a similar email. Thing is that I applied for a joint-degree program - MPP/MBA. The email indicated that I'm now being considered for MPA2 and HKS has a policy of considering each application for only one program at a time.

Maestro - did you apply to the HBS dual or with another b-school? I appied to the dual through Tuck, so just curious!

Maestro - did you apply to the HBS dual or with another b-school? I appied to the dual through Tuck, so just curious!

Hey Expressodc,

Yea, actually I applied to HKS and HBS dual degree program. And my main application position was tailor for the MPP/MBA program. I also applied to other B-schools that had an arrangement with HKS for MPP/MBA program.

To answer other's questions, no the email I received did not actually ask whether I would like to be considered for MPA2. Rather, the Ad Com told me he was switching my status after realizing that I clicked the MPA2 option also. I asked him whether I can be considered for MPP (put me backb to my original choice) and he said he switched it back.

Way I understand it is that MPP is more structured than MPA2. In addition, MPP requires a thesis, but MPA2 does not. However, I have a very relatively specific goal post graduation so MBA/MPP is my choice. Just hope I get the interview invite from HBS soon.

Best wishes. I recently received a request to submit additional information from Tuck as well. I guess I will know where I stand with that school in the next few days.

Hey Expressodc,

Yea, actually I applied to HKS and HBS dual degree program. And my main application position was tailor for the MPP/MBA program. I also applied to other B-schools that had an arrangement with HKS for MPP/MBA program.

To answer other's questions, no the email I received did not actually ask whether I would like to be considered for MPA2. Rather, the Ad Com told me he was switching my status after realizing that I clicked the MPA2 option also. I asked him whether I can be considered for MPP (put me backb to my original choice) and he said he switched it back.

Way I understand it is that MPP is more structured than MPA2. In addition, MPP requires a thesis, but MPA2 does not. However, I have a very relatively specific goal post graduation so MBA/MPP is my choice. Just hope I get the interview invite from HBS soon.

Best wishes. I recently received a request to submit additional information from Tuck as well. I guess I will know where I stand with that school in the next few days.

Did you apply to Tuck R1 or R2? I just interviewed for R2 and will get the decision in mid-March. I hope they contact me for "additional information" too!

GOOD LUCK with HBS! If not, hope to see you at Tuck. ;)

Did you apply to Tuck R1 or R2? I just interviewed for R2 and will get the decision in mid-March. I hope they contact me for "additional information" too!

GOOD LUCK with HBS! If not, hope to see you at Tuck. ;)

Thanks. I applied for R2 at Tuck.

HBS interview invites for R2 went out again today. This was the second wave, from which I hoped to get an invite. But did not happen.

Next Tuesday I will know for sure whether I'm in at HBS or even whether I'm waitlisted.

Tuck is a great school, but will be quite an inconvenience should I pursue a joint-degree between HKS and some non-Harvard business school.

Edited by Maestro119

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I also got this same email today, asking me to considering switching from the MPP program that I applied for, to the MC/MPA program, due to my career experience (I'm mid 30's).

However, I'm still more attracted to the two year MPP program, as it will give me a chance to take more interesting classes. Yet, acceptance rates for MC/MPA are apparently much higher.

Tough decision.....

Another couple of questions came to mind:

1) From the standpoint of future employers, will "Mid-Career Master in Public Administration" look worse than "Master of Public Policy" on my resume? I have a hunch the MC-MPA degree will not sound as compelling.

2) Since the MC-MPA is significantly less rigorous than the MPP degree - it includes much less economics, no Spring Exercise and no Policy Analysis Exercise seminar - will it be adequate preparation for going into a Ph. D program afterwards?