Interviews

amadeus122

I have an interview and all day "assessment" at UCLA this Friday. Any tips for a jittery composer? People keep assuring me that if I've made it this far, someone sees merit in my work, but I'm convinced that I'll say something stupid or blank on the answer to a simple question in front of the entire department.

Help!

Congrats! Aaaah I wish I could help you but I basically have all the same questions as you about interviews (by the way do you know if UCLA musicology is interviewing too?)

My only tips would be super basic: think of everything they could possibly ask you about your work and rehearse your answers. Research the department like crazy. Prepare a ton of thoughtful questions. View it not so much as a big test where you'll be judged but as you assessing the school and the department.

Good luck!

I have an interview tomorrow, I will post after what happens. But yeah, what snes said! I'm currently listening to my favorite work by the professor I hope to study with and reviewing absolutely everything I sent: portfolio, writing sample, SOP, etc. Good luck!

My interview is with the University of Kansas, I've also applied to UMKC. We're doing a Skype interview, which I'm a little nervous about since I'm not super comfortable with Skype. Hmmm, I'm thinking I should gather all my scores in case they ask super specific questions. I honestly have no idea what to expect, but everyone I've dealt with at KU has been very warm and friendly. I'm just really excited to get to talk to professors, about music! It's been several months, I miss it. :)

Good luck today, Becca! Let us know how it goes. Amadeus...sorry to hear about UC Davis, but congrats on all the other invitations! Have you heard anything from the Graduate Center yet?

Alright, Interview #1 survived! Phew, do I wish I could do it again? Yeah, a little.

So, the interview was very short. They were trying to get several skype interviews done over a one hour time frame, so it was definitely a little rushed. I got passed around the department, in a circle, a la That 70s Show. Incredibly friendly group of professors, made me feel at ease.

The main point of this interview was just to get to know me better, I would imagine a large part of any interview out there is going to be that way. Questions included: Where do you see your composing headed? Do you have experience teaching theory? What medium do you like to write for?

They seemed to like most of my answers. However, we well established that I had a background in popular music and had come over to the classical side of things. Then someone asked me if I had any "crossover" composers I look to. And I really really don't. So I went off on a brief Villa Lobos tangent about how he kind of bridged the two sides. That was my only moment of public radio dead air.

Again, super short interview. It sounds like they'll be contacting me again if they move me forward in the process, so I'll keep you updated.

Advice: Know thineself and know how to describe it clearly and concisely. I had a lot of "um"s I wish I could take back.

Thanks for the insight becca!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I'm going to be a barrel full of "ums" for sure. I also have been out of school for almost two years so I need a good refresher on the basics of everything of musicology and theory.

I am hoping that academic interviews excuse awkwardness better than job interviews. Geniuses are awkward, right?? Geniuses say "um" all the time because what they're thinking is too complex to be expressed by verbal language. :)

Ha! That was exactly my thought going in: us creative people are all a little nuts, so I'm sure there's some grace right?

I forgot to mention that they said I should join their faculty "garage band" Yeah, I liked them a lot. Now to work out all this nervous energy into an hour or two of practicing/composing!

OK. The interview went well at UCLA. Definitely drew a blank when asked how I felt about Ligeti. Otherwise, got some positive reactions including, "that was a really good answer." Six interviews for 2 spots so here's hoping.

The theory and history tests went exceedingly well. Even my normally slow-to-start ears perked up for the random chords they through at me (stacked fourths, minor ninths, etc.)

Getting impatient to hear from places. Oh, and the CUNY rejection came during a break between my assessment and interview while I was standing in UCLA's music building! I think they should cash my application fee check before rejecting me, but maybe I'm just bitter.

Anyone else on pins and needles?

Sounds like a great job at UCLA - 6 finalists for 2 spots is not bad! Was Paul Chi hara there? He's a real hoot.

Graduate Center is having 13 finalists interview. They typically get 50 total applicants and after interviews, accept enough to aim for an incoming pool of 4-5. Those odds sound good - however they usually can't offer full funding for more than 2 of them. They try to find administrative work for the rest, or have them apply for adjunct teaching positions at the other CUNY campuses. So at this point, it's still kind of competitive.

I'm on pins and needles just like you. February is just a couple of days away. Our musicology cohort here on Grad Cafe have been incredibly acing their unusually early results so far this year. Hopefully, the composers can do just as well!

Paul Chihara was there and ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. I really hope I get in... well, somewhere! I just have to trust that I'll find the right place.

Good luck on your CUNY interview. Do you mind sharing where else you applied? Just curious.

*frantically commences studying theory/history*

hold on I just got an email

!! I thought I was just rejected from a school and it was just a conference rejection HOLY MOLY. Well, that frees up a bit of my schedule.

Okay I'm back. Time to make a giant spreadsheet of February preparation. I'm so happy/impressed there's an interview thread in the music forum.

Hey all! I just got invited for an interview at the CUNY Graduate Center! Now I am terrified. Does anyone know what it's like??

From the email: "You don't need to bring or prepare anything—we just want a chance to get to know you better (and to give you a chance to get to know us better also)." Do you think that's true? Or will they do a sneak-attack musicianship exam or something (which is my WORST NIGHTMARE)?

The nail-biting commences....

Awesome, congrats purpledinosaur, to the extent of my knowledge, there is no musicianship exam at CUNY (but I only know about the composition interviews, YMMV!) - the composers at the Grad Center are having their interviews this Saturday. I'll let you know how that goes! When are the theory interviews?

Hey all! I just got invited for an interview at the CUNY Graduate Center! Now I am terrified. Does anyone know what it's like??

From the email: "You don't need to bring or prepare anything—we just want a chance to get to know you better (and to give you a chance to get to know us better also)." Do you think that's true? Or will they do a sneak-attack musicianship exam or something (which is my WORST NIGHTMARE)?

The nail-biting commences....

Hi purpledinosaur -

The interviews for Theory at the GC are pretty straightforward - What are your research interests/how do you see yourself fitting into the program at the GC - last year they asked someone what text they would use to teach Post Tonal Theory - that might be because they want to see if you would be capable of teaching at one of the CUNY schools.

Just be yourself and know what you want, and also - why you want to pursue a PhD when the economy is in such a terrible state - that was also a question from last year.

It may be helpful to prep yourself by doing some readings in the field to refresh your memory.

I had several friends who applied there last year and got accepted. Hope that helps you!

Good luck!

Here's another question for the forum: what do folks think about sending short thank you notes to committee members after an interview? At the very least, what about emailing a dept. assistant or representative? I feel like it's a nice gesture, but who knows with these people?

I'm planning to send a short thank-you email to the faculty members I meet/speak with. Hopefully I'll remember to jot down everyone's names while I'm actually there! This is so customary for job interviews that I'm just gonna do it for graduate interviews as well. I'll probably send a thank you to admin people who helped me out, too.

As for answering a question like "What text would you use to teach _______" welp, I'm screwed! :P