Interviews

amadeus122

I have a last-minute-scheduled Skype interview with the musicology faculty at Pitt on Monday that I'm currently fretting about. I am already scheduled to interview individually and in person later in February, so I have no idea what to expect on Monday. I hope I'm not a complete disappointment, as I don't know if I can get full refunds on the tickets and accommodations I have already reserved.

What I AM expecting is the connection to be spotty and the image to freeze at a very awkward facial expression while I have no choice but to continue talking. :blink:

Edited to ask that I'm assuming skype interviews are audio AND video, but are they actually, usually just audio? I guess they can't assume I have a webcam.

Edited by snes

Great interview experience today at CUNY. They had a waiting room for current grads to mingle with interviewees, which set up a nice environment. The interviewers were in an adjacent room and called you in when it was time. Six of the CUNY composition faculty were present, and each took turns asking questions and letting the questions lead to open conversation, which I felt was more the goal than grilling over bullet points. The interview lasted about 20 minutes. They didn't ask about specific moments in the portfolio, though did ask for my specific thoughts and approaches to dealing with some musical parameters in general. Also, the usual why-do-a-phd stuff, and what sort opportunities or studies I wish to focus more on if I end up studying there.

Edited by fall2012musiccomp

I have a last-minute-scheduled Skype interview with the musicology faculty at Pitt on Monday that I'm currently fretting about. I am already scheduled to interview individually and in person later in February, so I have no idea what to expect on Monday. I hope I'm not a complete disappointment, as I don't know if I can get full refunds on the tickets and accommodations I have already reserved.

What I AM expecting is the connection to be spotty and the image to freeze at a very awkward facial expression while I have no choice but to continue talking. :blink:

Edited to ask that I'm assuming skype interviews are audio AND video, but are they actually, usually just audio? I guess they can't assume I have a webcam.

My Penn Skype interview was audio and video, so plan on having both just to be safe!

That's great, fall2012musiccomp! I'm currently debating as to whether I should physically go down to CUNY to interview or do it via skype. They can't offer me any funding for travel, which means that I would have to travel by train, which is all I can afford. It's 11 eleven hours, which basically means that I'll be spending 2 full days traveling and 1 day interviewing, not getting much work done on my Master's thesis all the while. Also, I don't really travel well (it makes me really anxious), so it's not like I'm going to be enjoying the sights of New York much in my one day there...

Obviously it is preferable to go down and see the school and meet everyone, including current grad students. Do you think that's worth shelling out the money and the considerable amount of time and anxiety, though, when I can do the interview via skype? I'm really torn on this.

Purpledinosaur - I know someone who was accepted to CUNY even though they did a phone interview. So if you can't make it to the physical interview, I don't think it's a terribly big deal. For comp - the interview was about 20 minutes, but was the only thing required, so there weren't any tests, exams, formal meet-n-greet sessions, etc etc., I assume it's also the case with theory / musicology as well, so it won't be as if you can justify the travels on multiple events. And while today's interviews had grads there talking to you in the waiting room, I don't think that's a guarantee that they'll be there when you have your specific time slot.