Stanford?

waitinginohio

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dean of Graduate Admissions (i think - the line was unclear when it started and then I was too excited to ask again) called with the results.It was a really personal call - she knew my interests, research, etc and just called to say that I was in and that the email/post was on its way (probably end of the week).

Stanford, like most of these schools, only accepts students when they can offer a full ride and while she mentioned the 5 year funding (with 2 years fellowship, research and travel grants), she did not go into actual specifics of the package.

The application pool specifics were somewhat similar to Harvard's FAS - 300 applied, 15 or so get accepted for a 7-12 class. Clearly, the process has just begun and they are contacting people by phone and email over the next couple of days- so good luck to all of you!

Just an outsider's observation...the sociology group on gradcafe seems to be, like, the strongest soc applicants in the entire pool. You guys seem to all get in to the top programs! How is this possible?! :P

I know!!! Everyone has been so successful even this early on!! YAY! We are awesome!

Yay! I just got in too!! I am so excited! This was definitely one of my top choices!

What a fantastic day for you!!! Two offers from top 10 programs in less than 5 hours!!!

MEGA CONGRATS!! You are going to have tough decisions ahead of you!

What a fantastic day for you!!! Two offers from top 10 programs in less than 5 hours!!!

MEGA CONGRATS!! You are going to have tough decisions ahead of you!

THANKS SO MUCH! That means a lot! I'm at work right now and trying to do something besides stupidly grin at my computer screen! Congrats to you as well. Today rocks.

Damn, I'm so anxious now. I will call them at 1.30 Cali time, to ask about my result. Does anyone think this is a stupid thing to do? (I'm having some doubts)

They are making calls, therefore it takes a bit a time. I would wait until 4:30 cali time. Perhaps there are some admits asking lots of questions and holding up the notifications.

Damn, I'm so anxious now. I will call them at 1.30 Cali time, to ask about my result. Does anyone think this is a stupid thing to do? (I'm having some doubts)

I have this superstition that if you call you will mos def get a rejection. This is based on me seeing that on the results page. "I called and they said I was rejected."

lol..

The thing is, my phone is completely broken, so I can't access my voice-mail. I shouldn't be so nervous right now, but I guess I've just gotten too competitive. I'd rather know it's a rejection actually, it would just help me channel my obsessing into the other options :D

Why don't you send an email to the department then? Give them a working phone number?

Congrats!!! This is such an active discussion group - Go Sociology! :)

As for those of you that have not gotten the call yet, please remember that they are calling over the next couple of days. So even if you get a call today, there is no reason to believe you are not going to get called tomorrow.

Good Luck vibes all around ---

Why don't you send an email to the department then? Give them a working phone number?

Meh, I suppose it's easier to actually ask over the phone. I will just ask if I have been rejected, which they should be able to tell me by now. I figure this might come across as a little brusque, but I'm just too anxious about this.

Meh, I suppose it's easier to actually ask over the phone. I will just ask if I have been rejected, which they should be able to tell me by now. I figure this might come across as a little brusque, but I'm just too anxious about this.

I guess I have the same superstition about calling as hardboiledegg does...