Stanford?

waitinginohio

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Applicant X! Stanford is awesome :D

:) Thank you, MD.

Looking at these options from cold, cold Cambridge, California does beckon a little bit! :D

Wait - you just got into Stanford! YAY - congrats!

What is the freak out exactly? Stanford - hello!

What is the freak out exactly? Stanford - hello!

NO WAY!! Berkeley all the way!

For your consideration:

The areas each campus are in are VERY different, even though they are both in the bay area.

Stanford: Mega rich, really expensive, fancy restaurants, right by a huge fancy mall. A banker/CEO neighborhood (seriously, I have a friend who's company CEO lives in a palo alto mansion.

Berkeley: though also expensive to live, much more eclectic, charming, and generally more "intellectual."

"NO WAY!! Berkeley all the way!"

While I will have to admit that both schools have different, but comparable charms, from a social science PhD standpoint, unless you are doing the joint law+soc degree (which Stanford just does not have), Stanford is the better school for the following options:

a) more money when it comes to additional funding (summer, internships, etc, etc). Berkeley is a great school but they do not have the same kind of resources that Stanford does (even if they have changed the last couple of years).

B) Average Berkeley Phds take longer to complete when compared to Stanford Phds - so unless you are SURE you have a research agenda you are going to certainly see through the next 5 odd years, you should pick Stanford. The department is focused and they push you from day O.

c) The nature of funding is really advantageous - 2 of those 5 years (usually, the first and last year) is on fellowship which means you do not have to be working your first year -- which is great when you are just starting to get used to a new school/place, etc; and most (if not all) students, get a $2000 research stipend to start their research projects from the first year!

Also (and i am not sure if this is relevant to you), their other schools are really fab - they have a fantastic law school, a superb education department and a great business school -- so its great to get a lot of parallel advisors/academic resources at St.

Having said that, Berkeley does have its charm and if you are doing international research, its surely got its advantages over Stanford.

I am starting to incline mildly towards Stanford, if only for financial security reasons. I have to see what their aid package looks like first. I just hope my life at Stanford would not be like in PhD comics :P

The PhD comics are almost entirely a product of the Stanford Science PhD cohorts. :D But having many friends that fit that stereotype (international, science jocks, broke PhDs), I have to admit they are quite accurate! Yikes!

Well...

If you want to do qualitative and more "edgey" research, it is totally berkeley.

Yes, the funding is generous at stanford, but it is CRAZY expensive to live nearby. But, berkeley will support you.

If you look at placement and fellowships, Berkeley grads have a far better track record and have turned out MANY more "prominent" sociologists who do cutting edge stuff.

Berkeley also has AMAZING other programs--Rhetoric--Judith butler (not just a feminist theorist), Poli Sci--Wendy Brown, Bolt Law school (really good), etc. The social sciences are incredibly strong.

Plus, berkeley is an awesome place to live.

a) more money when it comes to additional funding (summer, internships, etc, etc). Berkeley is a great school but they do not have the same kind of resources that Stanford does (even if they have changed the last couple of years).

B) Average Berkeley Phds take longer to complete when compared to Stanford Phds - so unless you are SURE you have a research agenda you are going to certainly see through the next 5 odd years, you should pick Stanford. The department is focused and they push you from day O.

c) The nature of funding is really advantageous - 2 of those 5 years (usually, the first and last year) is on fellowship which means you do not have to be working your first year -- which is great when you are just starting to get used to a new school/place, etc; and most (if not all) students, get a $2000 research stipend to start their research projects from the first year!

I'm following your conversation here... :) and I have to say, (B) and © are very compelling arguments for Stanford! Just thought I'd throw in my two cents... I haven't heard from Berkeley yet but am comparing Stanford to Wisconsin and UCLA, my other options (so far?).

The Berkeley funding deal is not so bad actually. I know nothing certain, at this point, but they did indicate the potential for 4-years guaranteed funding (two fellowship), and a decent summer stipend for the first two. This being said, I would definitely feel more secure weathering the recession at a private institution like Stanford. I would also imagine getting a job on the side would be easier at Stanford (because I'm international I can only work for my university).

It's nearing 5pm PST and five (of 15ish total) people have posted acceptances on thegradcafe. Unless those phone calls last a super long time, or Stanford's accepting significantly more than 15 people, I'm thinking it's time to give up and get back to work. Or just call them. sigh... the faculty member I was corresponding with gave me so much hope!

I'm following your conversation here... :) and I have to say, (B) and © are very compelling arguments for Stanford! Just thought I'd throw in my two cents... I haven't heard from Berkeley yet but am comparing Stanford to Wisconsin and UCLA, my other options (so far?).

Wisc could override Stanford for one (or both) of two reasons : a) are you getting funded at UW? and B) are you working on US related Socio?

I am funded at Wisc (guaranteed 5 yrs, $20K), interested in quantitative work in a variety of areas but mostly education as a part of society, comparing within US and to other countries. I just realized that sentence doesn't sound all that coherent. It's been a long (and exciting) day! :D

I am funded at Wisc (guaranteed 5 yrs, $20K), interested in quantitative work in a variety of areas but mostly education as a part of society, comparing within US and to other countries. I just realized that sentence doesn't sound all that coherent. It's been a long (and exciting) day! :D

Oh - so exciting! Thats almost exactly what I am hoping to do (if I understand your excitement-induced incoherence, that is) - international education policy / sociology of class as projected by educational structures / and the global relationships in this understanding (ok! ok! long, exciting day!)

And the reason I think with those interests Stan is better than UW is because a) as a private school, you KNOW your sources to a lot of funding are superior, B) the education school is just BRILLIANT and they have full time ed+soc faculty (unlike other schools) so its just a wider range to choose from (and i do not know if you are doing higher ed - but Stan is one of the only schools in the US (the other is BU) that does international higher education policy -- simply super faculty!) and c) (this is an important ©), if you are planning on doing any sort of international work (and I do not know if you are), a big school's name make a BIG difference. Sure, UW-Mad is the top program -- but outside of a very elite circuit within the US that appreciate that (as they should!), it is a relatively unknown school globally. So if you are planning on being internationally involved, you should surely pick Stanford. (And I do not say this lightly - I went to HLS and I promise you, the number of doors it opens for you - just that name - is something else).

Also - have you been to Madison ? Its freezing 6 months of the year! Again - personal life choices. I love Madison (I travel there often on work) but after one winter, um..

Having said that, you cannot really go wrong. They are both such amazing programs - you should be so proud! Congrats!