Interview Attire

Scalia

I've seen a similar thread in other areas of this forum, but as many in those thread have stated, the appropriate attire is program related. For example, clinical psychology interviewees tend to dress more formally than the experimental areas.

I just wanted to start this thread to get an idea of what might be appropriate to wear for a visitation/interview weekend.

I'm personally have this problem because I applied to Quantitative Psychology programs and have no idea what to wear. On one hand, I already own a nice suit but I also have business casual dress as well. Any thoughts?

If you look good in a suit. Wear a suit. Man, a nice looking suit just feels good on ya, ya know? And if you end up being too dressy, just take off your tie. Then, you look classy. And that's still too much, you can take off your jacket and leave it in the car. Or, you can wear dark jeans, a nice shirt, and your suit jacket. That looks way good. That's good business casual in my opinion. Sorry, I really like suits and I just got mine tailored (so I'm definitely wearing one of the combos I just listed).

I'm thinking about wearing a suit to the interview (a faculty is picking me up at the hotel) and trying to check out and see what other people are wearing. Then, if I'm too formal, I can take off my suit jacket along with my overcoat.

However, my advisor said a suit might be a little much and thought maybe slacks, dress shirt, and tie would be sufficient. Still not sure though.

Edited by Scalia

I'm thinking about wearing a suit to the interview (a faculty is picking me up at the hotel) and trying to check out and see what other people are wearing. Then, if I'm too formal, I can take off my suit jacket along with my overcoat.

However, my advisor said a suit might be a little much and thought maybe slacks, dress shirt, and tie would be sufficient. Still not sure though.

I think when it comes to dressing down a suit, you really have two options: no jacket or no tie. I think a suit without the tie looks way better and less high school-ish. And the tie is way easier to store away if you decide to dress down when you see everyone else.

Black pants, dress shirt with a tie, and a sports jacket are what I'm wearing to the interview. Khakis with a polo or button down shirt are what I'm wearing to any dinners. And jeans and a t-shirt are what I'm wearing to any campus tours.

I'm pretty sure this is sufficient.

I decided that I have a nicely tailored suit and it can't hurt to overdress, even when interviewing at experimental programs.

If I'm dressed up more than other candidates, maybe the faculty will think it's a bonus because I'm really taking the process seriously.

i'm also planning on going with a suit. for the dinners the night before with faculty/graduate students, i am thinking khakis and a button up shirt with a tie and a sweater over top, because that is what i am most comfortable in.

personally, my hair is a little less orthodox than most males, so i always compensate by making sure i strep my clothes up a notch, and am of the opinion that it rarely hurts to over-dress.

With all clothes, but especially suits/business-wear, the cut makes the look. Make sure you get your pants hemmed, your jacket/coat arms adjusted, and your shirts tapered. An expensive suit can look cheap when everything's the wrong size, and conversely a cheap suit can be elevated when it's sized perfectly.

I think the idea of overdressing rather than underdressing is very good. I am planning to bring a few things that can change the outfit if needed (shoes, jacket). Although my clothing choices are varied by what area of the country the school is in. I am dealing with a few climate swings!

Okay we've had people weight in about attire and I'm sorry if the females on this board don't find this question useful, but what about facial hair?

I keep a very short and well groomed beard. However, if you get online and Google grad school interviews, the advice is to make sure you're clean shaven.

Thoughts?

Okay we've had people weight in about attire and I'm sorry if the females on this board don't find this question useful, but what about facial hair?

I keep a very short and well groomed beard. However, if you get online and Google grad school interviews, the advice is to make sure you're clean shaven.

Thoughts?

I like the beard in your pic.

Thoughts?

A well-groomed beard should be no problem. Facial hair is making a big comeback and academia has always been a bit more bearded than other fields. No neck or cheek scruff, though.

Thoughts?

I normally rock well-groomed facial hair, but went shaven for my interviews. It's just plain cleaner, in my opinion.

For social/experimental interviews, I'm going with a more casual version of a suit. Black dress pants, black short sleeve jacket, and a nice short sleeve shirt underneath. I think that the short sleeves make the look more casual, but still professional. My friend and I are having much more trouble figuring out what to wear to dinners/socials in the evening. Our advisor told us it was okay to email a grad student (if we've already spoken with them about travel arrangements) and ask them to give us an idea of the dress code. Then dress a step up from that.

IMO it is like a job interview. Regardless of the actual work you'll be doing most applicants show up in at least a shirt and tie and nice pants if not a suit. Just because you might not be wearing that outfit on a daily basis if you get the job, I think it shows professionalism and shows you are putting effort into what you are doing.

If I get any interviews I'll strongly consider wearing one of my suits. Although for my M.A. interview, and Masters internship I didn't wear a suit as I didn't have any but wore a nice shirt, dress pants, and a tie. (For the internship I work shirt, tie, khakis.)

so far out of two interviews, everyone i have seen has been wearing a suit. not a must, but a strong recommendation, id say. as for the informal grad student dinners, don't overdress. there was one guy wearing a suit when everyone else was dressed down, and he seemed really out of place and awkward.

its a delicate balance

Think about how much some of these programs are looking to invest in you: If its a fully funded program, we're talking about $15-20k over three to four years: That's roughly $50-80k they're looking to spend on just one person--and that doesn't even mention the time they take to help you grow as an academic/clinician/researcher, the classes, the advisement, and seeing your face for up to six or seven years...

...and you wouldn't wear a suit? If you're a guy, I think you'd have to be next to crazy to not wear a suit to the interview.

As for the grad student night-before dinners, I still plan on wearing a sports jacket--its better to look professional, and if you look really nice, more power to you. Plus, if you bring a jacket, you can always take it off; if you don't bring a jacket, you can't put it on. Many of these dinners describe themselves as "business casual." As I understand it, business casual is slacks/khakis, button-down, tie, and jacket. Also, if you're worried about being stiff, wear a fun tie! Not your uncle's Santa Claus tie, but something colorful, something that pops. I like Jerry Garcia ties, but thats just my taste.

It's usually a safe bet for girls to just wear a casual dress with a sweater/jacket for dinner. Guys usually wore slacks or jeans with a button-down, no tie/dinner jacket.

I second this. With the exception of clinical programs, it's fine for either gender to just wear nice looking pants with a button down shirt. The suit during interviews I can understand (even though it always stands out), but don't wear a suit to the party, especially if it's only grad students.