Yale

InquilineKea

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll be heading up for the fall as well (MA European/Russian Studies)! I'm pretty set on living on campus for the first year, just because I don't know New Haven that well and don't really want to arrange housing remotely. So excited!

I'm headed to Yale for a PhD.

I am also likely going to look mainly in East Rock. I am also wondering though, does anyone know if many grad students live a little further out and commute in? It seems like you can find some nice, relatively inexpensive places in surrounding areas - some even on the beach!

I'm also on my way to New Haven for my PhD. Really excited! After all... Yale!

I'm headed to Yale for a PhD.

I am also likely going to look mainly in East Rock. I am also wondering though, does anyone know if many grad students live a little further out and commute in? It seems like you can find some nice, relatively inexpensive places in surrounding areas - some even on the beach!

I wondered about this too. My plan is to live on campus in my first year, East Rock in my second year, and then consider moving out to the "suburbs" once I have completed course work. I will by coming in with a car and I noticed that there are some 2-BR townhouse type apartments for rent in surrounding areas for less than 1000$ a month!

I will be attending Yale this Fall as well! (Supremum: I will also be attending the PhD in statistics program...we will definitely get to know one-another!)

I am thinking of applying for on-campus housing for my first year, depending on my ability to get to New Haven to apartment shop....we'll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I will be heading to New Haven this fall to start PhD in Electrical Engineering.

I am a male student who is looking for a roommate(s) to share an apartment or house. If somebody is in the same boat please PM.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did my undergrad there, but had a few graduate friends.

From what I hear, on-campus housing at Hall of Graduate Studies (HGS) has decent rooms, but they force you to buy the meal plan, which is expensive and cumbersome, from what I hear. (Undergrads on campus were forced on meal plans as well.)

Helen Hadley Hall (HHH), another on-campus site, does not require meal plans, as far as I know. But it's also got the reputation of being Chinatown, because its high concentration of Asian students, for better or worse.

East Rock is where many science grad students live, because it's cheaper than downtown new haven, but also because most of the science labs are up on the north side of campus "Science Hill". The humanities are closer to central campus

Hi all!

I've been nominated for acceptance to the joint History of Art and Film Studies PhD program at Yale. I haven't yet received any information about visit days or anything (it was an unofficial heads up from my POI), so I don't know when I (and my wife) will be visiting. On that note--would it be any kind of faux pas to bring her along? I've heard of such things as a no-no during your first interview for a job, but I hope they won't mind me bringing my wife along to visit the place! Obviously, I don't expect her to be funded, etc. 

Eagerly awaiting new information, but in the meanwhile, it'd be lovely to meet others here.

Yale has an MA program in history? Interesting. We will probably try for East Rock or the downtown area, as that's where most of the graduate students seem to congregate.

There's a pretty good chance i will attend Yale.

Question: the orientation event is about two weeks before the term starts. Does this mean that we must have our housing found and moved into before orientation?

I assume you mean Aug. 19-28? It looks like that's going to be universal for all graduate students. My SO and I are definitely aiming to move to New Haven by the end of July. I don't want to show up a day or two before Orientation, and we think being there for a few weeks before will ease the transition. 

Hey guys. Question for everyone regarding moving in before orientation (August 19-28). If you are coming from out of state, how do you plan to do it? Come with all your stuff and hitch up in a hotel for a few days while you find an apartment? If so, when are you planning to get there? Also: what about all your stuff?! Halp.

We live in NYC, and we're doing our research now via the Web. Padmapper, Craigslist, and talking to past/current students are all very helpful. We've identified some good spots (East Rock, Downtown for humanities folks, but I believe the science facilities are somewhere else so you may find it more convenient to be elsewhere), and during our visit during the last week of March, will try to scope out some spots. 

Ideally we'll pick out our apartment and have it ready to move into by late July/early August, and will then move. I've lived out of a few suitcases since 2005 (when I first came to the U.S. as an international student) so I actually don't have that much; my SO has way more, but her folks are willing to drive us up there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! I have just recieved green lights to accept the offer form Yale! Quite Exited! I'll be there just for a year for the Environmental Management Master Program, so I am looking for a year housing. Based on posts I read I understand East Rock is the best place to look arround for a place. However, I wont be able to arrive unitl August. Can anyone indicate places to look for appartments from abroad?

Thanks!

Hi all, going to Yale for my PhD in the fall. I'm currently thinking about accommodation -- I want to live off-campus in a shared house with other students and/or professionals (no grad dorm). I'm overseas but do know New Haven fairly well, so that's good. Any good ideas where to look for postings, besides craigslist and padmapper? Ideally, I would like to "join" a house, rather than starting a new one with other incoming students.