University of Chicago

InquilineKea

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was shortlisted for a PhD in the Department of Comparative Human Development, and I'm going insane watching the deadline for a decision steadily approaching for the other school I got in to. Anybody else involved with this program?

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! I'm currently trying to navigate housing. I'll probably do University-owned housing for at least the first year, since I'm unfamiliar with the area. I haven't gotten any materials through mail or email yet and so I keep doubting I actually clicked "yes"!

• 1 month later...

Congrats, everyone! Divinity A.M. in History of Religions here. Just received my housing offer this morning. Anyone else hear back who's renting through UChicago? I'm on E Madison Park, which I wished I'd made time to see while I was visiting in late March. God, it was cold, and everyone seemed to neglect to tell me about how the winds howl through negligible cracks in the windowsills at night. Chilling, but even more endearing than I anticipated.

Congrats, everyone! Divinity A.M. in History of Religions here. Just received my housing offer this morning. Anyone else hear back who's renting through UChicago? I'm on E Madison Park, which I wished I'd made time to see while I was visiting in late March. God, it was cold, and everyone seemed to neglect to tell me about how the winds howl through negligible cracks in the windowsills at night. Chilling, but even more endearing than I anticipated.

I haven't heard back yet, although I waited quite long (end of April) to apply for UC apartments. I've been fretting because I don't even have a student ID yet, but they just had commencement so I'm waiting until tomorrow to bug them. I haven't heard a single thing from them, actually, since I accepted their offer. *nervous laughter*

I visited the area in February when they were in a warm spell and in April when they were in a warm spell so when real Chicago winter comes, I will die. I've started to watch Game of Thrones recently and hyperbolizing my fear of winter has come easily.

I heard from graduate housing this past Thursday. I think it depends on when you will move in. (I applied for an Aug 1 move in date.) The place didn't end up working for my husband & I so I turned it down -- going to try to find non-university housing. Hope that opens up an apartment for someone else who really wants grad housing.

I haven't heard back yet, although I waited quite long (end of April) to apply for UC apartments. I've been fretting because I don't even have a student ID yet, but they just had commencement so I'm waiting until tomorrow to bug them. I haven't heard a single thing from them, actually, since I accepted their offer. *nervous laughter*

I visited the area in February when they were in a warm spell and in April when they were in a warm spell so when real Chicago winter comes, I will die. I've started to watch Game of Thrones recently and hyperbolizing my fear of winter has come easily.

I'm sure that it varies by school, but the Divinity School sent ID info out in late May which has really only been useful to create my UChicago email. Still waiting for the class schedule to be published, and the registration site won't even allow me to log on yet anyway. The CNET (ID) emails were actually attachments and were somewhat intricate, so I'm guessing your school also has to create individual attachments for each matriculating student.

And I applied for grad housing in mid-April, so maybe you'll hear back soon. ;) It's nice that the email also comes with pics of your specific apartment attached, so you know what you're getting yourself into.

I heard from graduate housing this past Thursday. I think it depends on when you will move in. (I applied for an Aug 1 move in date.) The place didn't end up working for my husband & I so I turned it down -- going to try to find non-university housing. Hope that opens up an apartment for someone else who really wants grad housing.

AAH okay, I applied for second week of Sept. Good luck!

I'm sure that it varies by school, but the Divinity School sent ID info out in late May which has really only been useful to create my UChicago email. Still waiting for the class schedule to be published, and the registration site won't even allow me to log on yet anyway. The CNET (ID) emails were actually attachments and were somewhat intricate, so I'm guessing your school also has to create individual attachments for each matriculating student.

And I applied for grad housing in mid-April, so maybe you'll hear back soon. ;) It's nice that the email also comes with pics of your specific apartment attached, so you know what you're getting yourself into.

Humanities Division was all like "You'll get your ID in late May!" too but maybe they're still working through the pile. I emailed today anyway, but I wonder if anyone works the week after commencement.

I'm starting to get the same nervous/excited feeling I used to get from January - April when I'd see "Inbox (1)"!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For anyone left in housing limbo: if it helps you to know, after waiting since April or May, I got a housing offer today. It's pricey but looks relatively nice, about 1 mile north of campus, and I have to accept the offer by August 3rd (trying to plan emergency visit before then). The lease would not begin until September 4th, though. I think I applied for a September 1st move-in date.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bump. Can anyone advise what the campus housing is like?

^ Seconded... Also, does anyone have specific advice relevant to bringing a canine companion along to the windy city (e.g. dog-friendly housing options near campus)? 

^ Seconded... Also, does anyone have specific advice relevant to bringing a canine companion along to the windy city (e.g. dog-friendly housing options near campus)? 

They have pet friend graduate housing. It was the first thing I checked for!