Rejection Feedback

I just sent an email to Kansas asking for feedback on my application. Of course, I am now having second thoughts about having sent this and still having decisions pending. I just want an explanation. Why do you think I suck at life and am not good enough for your program? It is just so odd to me that not one person on the board got accepted, or even waitlisted, to the program.

I will still have to wait for this response. As soon as I sent the email, there was an auto-response from the graduate secretary that she is out of office until February 1st. Which is only a few days, but I'm a typical American that wants immediate gratification.

I just received a wait-list email from KU.

Look, the email was already sent. And no, I did not say "why did you reject me?" I asked for feedback on my application and if there were any weaknesses that hindered my acceptance to the program. Even if I do get a generic response, it is better than nothing. The "decline" letter from the grad school specifically stated that if you want specific reasons for your decision, contact the department you applied to. So I did. Everyone has their opinion on what is best to do. My opinion for this program was to contact them and ask. It doesn't change any of the other applications I have out. Or my chances of getting in any other program. I understand. Bottom line - I want to know the reason. Generic or not.

I agree, especially since I did not do this during my first round of applications. If I am rejected during this round, I will email regarding improving my application strengths for the dreaded "make or break" third round of applications. If there is something detrimental that is consistent throughout my applications, I would like to know regardless of the potential awkwardness of the request. Remember, adcoms want applications to succeed as well (at least this is what I tell myself).

Edited by GodzillaGrad

• 2 weeks later...

I have emailed every grad program that rejected me, requesting feedback, and have had something back from... nearly all of them. One was just a form email, saying their policy is not to say anything, but a couple gave me some - and one said that, once things had died down, he would be more than willing to give me blow-by-blow feedback...

... so I think it's worth it. So long as you're polite, only a complete ass would hold a simple question against you (plus they probably won't remember it next year, anyway).

Again, let us know if you hear from these schools so we can follow suit if you're lucky enough to get some feedback. When I was applying for teaching jobs, this was really common; especially if you were one of the few to make the interview cut, schools were really open to talking to you about it afterward. Sometimes it can be infuriating ("I said that very clearly, weren't you listening??"), BUT it does give you a good idea of what to be SURE you emphasize, what you could have left out, etc. I remember professors giving me advice that (in the job market, at least) it gets you some points to ask, especially if you ever reapply.

You should always contact the Admissions Director and ask how you can strengthen your app. Many of the comments made thus far are spot on - you need to be a good fit for the professors, you need to have a different perspective on an area of research, and funding controls everything - not who you know. Our ad com folks work hard and are thorough; they would admit more applicants if they could, believe me. No one is happy about declining so many excellent students and everyone is interested in securing the future of their programs by admitting as many strong applicants as possible. This process is not fun for anyone - you or us.

I emailed Boston U, specifically Maurice Lee, for feedback and he said there were too many applicants to do that. I should ask my counselors/guidance people/etc for feedback on my materials. Sorry pal, but I've been out of school for a few years, TEACHING college students. Not really a line of people supporting my efforts. What a joke!

You should always contact the Admissions Director and ask how you can strengthen your app. Many of the comments made thus far are spot on - you need to be a good fit for the professors, you need to have a different perspective on an area of research, and funding controls everything - not who you know. Our ad com folks work hard and are thorough; they would admit more applicants if they could, believe me. No one is happy about declining so many excellent students and everyone is interested in securing the future of their programs by admitting as many strong applicants as possible. This process is not fun for anyone - you or us.

I'm with the new president of the MLA, Michael Berube: departments aren't taking too few candidates, they're taking too many.

Maurice Lee told me BU had about 200 applicants this year. With this number, it would be unrealistic to give every applicant feedback. BUT not every applicant writes in to request feedback! Indeed, I'd bet only a tiny percentage do.

I completely understand professors are very, very busy people. But it seems so aloof and cruel not to at least offer some kind of feedback to those who request it. Even the briefest of comments can be immensely helpful. I doubt many applicants write in to ask for insights like tjschae, and it seems such applicants should be rewarded for their resolution to improve their applications.

This could easily be done by the admissions committee. They could make small notes when rejecting an application as to why they're doing it (poor fit; non-competitive GPA; SOP needs refinement and focus). Then, when an applicant inquires, they could quickly jot them a note with their reasonings. I just don't see where this would be that big of a deal for the admissions committees. They're already doing a lot of work, and this wouldn't add much.

I emailed UCLA and asked for advice on how to strengthen my application for the future. I got a very kind response within 48 hours that the Graduate Vice Chair, Felicity Nussbaum would be happy to do a complete "application review" with me after April 15th, and asked to please resend my email asking for one at that time.

I emailed UCLA and asked for advice on how to strengthen my application for the future. I got a very kind response within 48 hours that the Graduate Vice Chair, Felicity Nussbaum would be happy to do a complete "application review" with me after April 15th, and asked to please resend my email asking for one at that time.

lkas;lkjd;flkj;lakj;lksj;ldkjf;lkja;lskjd;kflj;lakjsd;lkj;lkfj;lkajs;dldkjklj;lj;lakjs;ldkfj;lkajs;dlkjf;lkajs;lkdjf;klas;dkjf

Sorry. I just freaking love Felicity Nussbaum. I really should have applied to UCLA...