Helpful Interview tips for MFA 2012

LovelyPainter

I've found a few helpful interview threads on here but would fancy any other tidbits you all could offer! Any advice from those who have been through the ringer or know of candidates who have? Questions they were asked, criticism or praise they received? How are you preparing? Random tips! Any help is help as I think we are all preparing and prepping :) Cheers!

Edited by LovelyPainter

I'm also interested in the typical scenario in which these interviews occur. Do we have to buy our own plane ticket for each of the schools that want an interview, or do schools offer assistance in some way? Or skype?

I'm also interested in the typical scenario in which these interviews occur. Do we have to buy our own plane ticket for each of the schools that want an interview, or do schools offer assistance in some way? Or skype?

I was offered to either Skype or do an in person interview. I am choosing to go ahead and fly in. I hope that my effort will be perhaps the slightest push should it come down to me and another candidate. +I'd like a better feel for the program, studios ect. should I have to make a tough decision between top choices. They are hosting lunch, dinner and linking us in with students who have a couch to spare type deal….Hope that's a bit helpful.

Edited by LovelyPainter

last year someone compiled and shared a list of possible interview questions, which I copied and edited a little, basically most of these are or are similar to questions I was asked in both of the interviews i went through.

I've never heard of schools financing your journey to interview with them, but some schools do accept skype interviews when you can't afford to go. Others, such as Slade, simply review the work without you during the second phase.

How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

Why do you want to go to XXXXX?

Why do you want to go to grad school? Why now?

What resources of this program will be the biggest benefit to your development as an artist?

What is your work about?

What are your influences?

What for you constitutes a good work of art?

What draws you to a piece of work?

What motivates your work?

Who are your main influences?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

What do you think is a good critique of your work/bad critique?

Why/how did you choose the people who wrote letters for you?

How will you contribute to this program?

What do you do for fun?

What artists who are no longer living influence you?

What book are you reading right now? What do you think about it?

What are you working on right now?

Please explain this work (xxxx03.jpg)

What is your favorite piece of art? Why? (Title, artist,year)

Can you describe yourself, such as personal habit, etc.

Do you get along well with others ?

What would you bring to a group dynamic ?

What do you think is a good way of criting ? a bad way?

What other aspects of culture influence your work besidesart/art history?

How do you see yourself taking advantage of this school’s enviroment/program?

What exhibition have you been to in the last year?

What have you done since you’ve graduated?

What contemporary artists are you into, and why?

Tell us about the conceptual underpinnings of your work?

Talk about your process.

What do you think about *this essay*? (related to your work)

How is your work related to *this movement*?

Do you have any question for us?

Hope this helps!

@ kazoo

Wow! Thank you so much! I've been trying to think of questions they would ask, but there are a few on here that I would've choked on. I've already had a skype "interview" for a school, but it was very informal and done before the application materials were due. He basically told me about the school, and only asked me two questions: why am I interested in the school, and do I plan on teaching. If the interview were more in depth like these questions, I wouldn't have been prepared!

So, thanks again!

Definitely go to do the in-person interview if you really want to go to the school. Your acceptance rate it way higher for those that trek to the schools rather than skype or call (at least if your on the same continent as the school).

• 2 weeks later...

Some other questions that may help:

What do you think about (artist, movement, subject/topic)

What can't you stand? Why?

What do you think about your own work?

How do you want your work to develop?

Why are you making the work you're making, and why do you want to keep doing it?

Meaning behind your subject matter?

influences

why grad school, why now?

I think it's best to be conversational and try to get the most out of the experience. Hope these help.

Thanks for all the input here. It really helps. This will be my second time attempting to get into an MFA program. After the first batch of rejections, I decided to get my MA first. The reason being is that I thought it would allow me to build a stronger portfolio before applying to an MFA program.

When I interviewed for my MA, it wasn't really an interview. The advisor asked me why I was there and then berated my work for 45 minutes. It really wasn't accomplishing much, he just wanted to see how I would defend my work. I'm assuming this may be the case when I interview for some MFA programs, that they'll want to see how you defend your work.

When I interviewed for my MA, it wasn't really an interview. The advisor asked me why I was there and then berated my work for 45 minutes. It really wasn't accomplishing much, he just wanted to see how I would defend my work. I'm assuming this may be the case when I interview for some MFA programs, that they'll want to see how you defend your work.

Of the four interviews I did, I did not really have to "defend" my work. I can imagine some programs may be that way, but mostly it seems they want to keep your interest in their program too, not just shoot you down. I think the most important questions, because they are too often overlooked, it to have good reasons for going to grad school, and specifically their grad school. If your personable and exciting regardless of how cold the interview is (and none of my interviews were cold) then you'll be fine.

I've been browsing the forums and seeing conflicting info--are there any statistics about how many people a school interviews vs. how many they're planning to accept?

I'm flying to Baltimore in two weeks to interview at MICA Hoffberger, and I want to know how much I should get my hopes up, essentially. I mean, are they interviewing 100 people for the 10 spots (or however many? I tried to look it up just now and couldn't find an exact number)? 50? 30?

Edited by canarybones

I've been browsing the forums and seeing conflicting info--are there any statistics about how many people a school interviews vs. how many they're planning to accept?

I'm flying to Baltimore in two weeks to interview at MICA Hoffberger, and I want to know how much I should get my hopes up, essentially. I mean, are they interviewing 100 people for the 10 spots (or however many? I tried to look it up just now and couldn't find an exact number)? 50? 30?

The only two schools I know for sure from my interviews is 40 for 10 spots, or 25% acceptance after interview.

Thanks, that helps! Not as bad odds as I thought. Here's to hoping and practicing and preparing.

I was interviewed at Hoffberger last year. They interviewed around 30 people for 10 spots. Good luck Canarybones!

last year someone compiled and shared a list of possible interview questions, which I copied and edited a little, basically most of these are or are similar to questions I was asked in both of the interviews i went through.

I've never heard of schools financing your journey to interview with them, but some schools do accept skype interviews when you can't afford to go. Others, such as Slade, simply review the work without you during the second phase.

What resources of this program will be the biggest benefit to your development as an artist?

What is your work about?

What do you do for fun?

Talk about your process.

Hope this helps!

You are a m a z i n g

What is your work about?

What do you do for fun?

Talk about your process.

Hope this helps!

You are a m a z i n g

Can anyone describe the scene of the the in-person interviews? Where you sitting in front of a panel or standing around a table, who was there, did you start by going through your portfolio or just answering questions?

All of the above. Depends on the program.

Anyone know what the interviews are like at CalArts? Anyone going March 8th to interview for Graphic Design?

Hi Rachel,

I'm going to go to the calarts graphic interview, although it's now March 2nd. From what I hear, it's not meant to be a super stressful thing. One of the posts said it was fairly short about, 20 min. One person told me it's more to see if the school seems to be a good fit for you.

Feel free to message me, and I'll probably see you there!