MA decisions

PhDreams

Ahhh! Now I know! Congrats on Harvard! Guess this makes your decision even more difficult! :P

Thank you! Congrats to you as well! I am sure you will make a waitlisted student very happy! Yeah I feel like the money decisions/visits will help make it easier!

Thank you! Congrats to you as well! I am sure you will make a waitlisted student very happy! Yeah I feel like the money decisions/visits will help make it easier!

Well good luck! Let me know if you decide on Penn. You know where to find me off course! :P

Struggling to decide between Michigan and Penn. Vandy has been pushed out of my line of view, mostly because I just found their system of doing things to be less organized and streamlined than the other two, which turned me off a bit. Michigan and Penn are two completely different schools, so this decision is kind of rough.

Edited by TexanLex

Struggling to decide between Michigan and Penn. Vandy has been pushed out of my line of view, mostly because I just found their system of doing things to be less organized and streamlined than the other two, which turned me off a bit. Michigan and Penn are two completely different schools, so this decision is kind of rough.

I know Penn matches you to a graduate assistantship around April 1 before you commit to enroll; does Michigan do something similar? That might help sway your decision depending on your interest and fit.

Besides that, I see the following comparisons:

Michigan - higher ranked in specialty (may help if you decide to apply for a PhD in the future - lots of Higher Ed faculty got their PhDs there), 1.5-year program (more internship experience helps if you're a fresh grad), 3 classes at a time, college town

Penn - Ivy prestige, 1-year program (lower tuition), 5 classes at a time, urban setting

All three schools are great programs and well respected in the field but as you said are fairly different. What do you hope to get out of your master's and what do you hope to study?

Personally, in a master's program I would want to attend a place that has a decent number of faculty members pursuing various research interests so I would be exposed to different types of scholarship and topics.

I know Penn matches you to a graduate assistantship around April 1 before you commit to enroll; does Michigan do something similar? That might help sway your decision depending on your interest and fit.

Besides that, I see the following comparisons:

Michigan - higher ranked in specialty (may help if you decide to apply for a PhD in the future - lots of Higher Ed faculty got their PhDs there), 1.5-year program (more internship experience helps if you're a fresh grad), 3 classes at a time, college town

Penn - Ivy prestige, 1-year program (lower tuition), 5 classes at a time, urban setting

For Michigan, GA offers should go out before the acceptance deadline.

I just went to Michigan and they were saying that Higher Ed was interviewing for positions soon. I also heard that they suck up most of the jobs in the program since they get priority. That's def a good sign for you if you choose Michigan.

I just went to Michigan and they were saying that Higher Ed was interviewing for positions soon. I also heard that they suck up most of the jobs in the program since they get priority. That's def a good sign for you if you choose Michigan.

Interviews for GA positions at Michigan and a couple other local organizations are being held on March 23 for higher ed students. They say that most people get one by the time they start the program.