MA decisions

PhDreams

yesterday I received a phone call from a University that I was rejected for the Phd program. They were calling to tell me that my application file was currently being reviewed for the masters program.

Does that mean that I am in? or I have high chances to be rejected?

It was really difficult to received one rejection from the Phd program and I am trying not to created any expectation, but I always ask myself if they could be mean enough to call me saying that I was considered for the master and then reject me.

please, please someone call give any information about a similar situation.

You should check out the Waiting it out thread. There have been quite a few people who have applied to Stanford's PhD that were rejected and then referred to the POLS program.

Does anyone know why Higher Ed programs make their decisions first? Do they get less apps? Do they have their deadlines sooner than other depts?

I don't think it has anything to do with popularity, but more to do with how there is an assistantship selection process that usually follows the first round of admission decisions. Therefore, you need some time to get both in by April 15th and account for your applicants applying to other places. Therefore higher programs who offered this model tend to notify early so they can set up campus visit days where finalist or admitted students can interview for specific assistantship opportunities. From other education master's programs, I don't get the sense that they have this dual process so perhaps that is why they notify later than the higher ed programs.

I don't think it has anything to do with popularity, but more to do with how there is an assistantship selection process that usually follows the first round of admission decisions. Therefore, you need some time to get both in by April 15th and account for your applicants applying to other places. Therefore higher programs who offered this model tend to notify early so they can set up campus visit days where finalist or admitted students can interview for specific assistantship opportunities. From other education master's programs, I don't get the sense that they have this dual process so perhaps that is why they notify later than the higher ed programs.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

I'm still waiting to hear back from Vandy's HDC program and HGSE's PSP. It's surprisingly not been a problem keeping my mind off the wait. I guess that's the good thing about feeling swamped all the time, lol! In the beginning, I also figured, if I didn't get in anywhere with reasonably affordable offers, I have my current job to keep me going, so it's not the end of the world. :P That's not to say I don't worry about it from time to time, out of the blue. :)

Edited by hello3angel

So, I have been procrastinating on my application to Penn. I should probably send this thing out.... haha

Haahahaha. Yeah, I still have recommenders to harass. lol

AND....

I finally got a decision! Yay, Michigan said yes!

Heard from Stanford POLS today!!!! It sounds like they're making calls once they make decisions and then the emails will come in a few weeks! Holy smokes. Here we go.

Congrats!

Heard from Stanford POLS today!!!! It sounds like they're making calls once they make decisions and then the emails will come in a few weeks! Holy smokes. Here we go.

Congrats to the both of you!!!! Now I'm going to be on pins and needles all afternoon. OMG!