Illinois Acceptance

One graduate director I talked to last year (UNR) said that he likes to make calls of acceptances on Saturdays because people are home. Unfortunately, there is no day where you can relax with this process.

One graduate director I talked to last year (UNR) said that he likes to make calls of acceptances on Saturdays because people are home. Unfortunately, there is no day where you can relax with this process.

Proof that the average age of professors is increasing -- this one hasn't yet heard of cell phones!

My first American school to make it on the board. Definitely sent my heart rate up! I wonder who it is, and what their focus/specialization is. I guess we can officially start expecting to hear back any day now?

(I'm pretty new to the grad cafe boards - hello!)

Can anyone clarify whether U. Illinois U-A makes PhD and MA decisions at the same time, or whether the straight PhD decisions come first? Since my MA is in Gender Studies, I applied for the MA-PhD track, and was told they wouldn't be notifying until early March. If they're early across the board, that's great (or not hah) - just wondering...

Edited by Katy85

Another acceptance is up on the board! I applied for the MA (with the intent to pursue the PhD) so I'm not too worried yet - it looks like the PhD offers are going out first with the masters coming later? Maybe? Does anyone have any information to contradict my (shaky and unabashedly optimistic) hypothesis?

Edited by antecedant

I applied to the sequential MA/PhD program too and i was surprised to see admits already on the board. Their deadline was Dec 17, seems kind of early. I also wish they had more of a 'status' page, you can't check anything online :/

I also wish they had more of a 'status' page, you can't check anything online :/

Me too! It stresses me out logging in to check my Illinois app simply because it's not even clear where we should be looking or if there's any progress being made. I found they were super informative during the application process, emailing me with updates every step of the way. It makes the subsequent radio silence even more disconcerting.

I noticed last year on the results board that a couple of (PhD) acceptances came early (in January, actually), and then more in March with the rest of the MAs. I just wonder if all of those later PhDs are actually MA/PhDs, or if some of them are PhD only...I really hope so because that's what I applied for!

I also wish we could check our statuses.

I posted the acceptance. The email was out of the ordinary. My wife was accepted a few weeks ago, and I've been corresponding with the dept. since then. Most should receive notification via postal service. DGS said they sent the letters out last Friday, so this week sometime. My emphasis is in Writing Studies.

Congratulations, ahhjudy! :)

So, did you apply for the PhD, or MA-PhD track? I think us MA-ers are confused about whether we'll be getting our decisions this week, or whether we'll still be waiting until March. Thanks!

I posted the acceptance. The email was out of the ordinary. My wife was accepted a few weeks ago, and I've been corresponding with the dept. since then. Most should receive notification via postal service. DGS said they sent the letters out last Friday, so this week sometime. My emphasis is in Writing Studies.

Thanks for the info. And congratulations - that's really awesome that both you and your wife got accepted.

Gives me a teensy bit of hope too...I just have no idea how long to hope for, being overseas and not sure how long the post would take to reach me.

Fingers crossed, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm wondering if anyone did receive word via post? This is one of the few times I'm crossing my fingers that being in Canada is delaying the mail :P

So I'm wondering if anyone did receive word via post? This is one of the few times I'm crossing my fingers that being in Canada is delaying the mail :P

I know I haven't! I'm overseas so I still hold my breath every time I check the mail...just in case. But I am starting to lose hope at this point. It's been two weeks! (Although wow, feels like months.)

Well the have to reject me somehow if they aren't accepting or waitlisting me, so I'm expecting something in the mail, even if it is bad news.

Oh jeez, if I get rejected from UT Austin AND UIUC in one week I may just puke.