Schools with a funded M.A. only

My Ph.D applications have not been going well (presumed rejection from 3 schools, 2 of which are lower tier). I have turned my attention to looking for schools that offer an M.A. program in political science (Comparative and IR) with at minimum a tuition waiver. Its not a requirement for me, but if I end up attending a Masters only program I would like the school to not have a Ph.D. program. The schools would also have to have a late deadline. So far the list I compiled is pretty short: Ohio U, Louisville, and Portland St. If anyone out there has more schools for me to look into it would be greatly appreciated.

Do you also consider going abroad for an MA? ETH Zurich (Switzerland) offers an excellent program:

http://www.cis.ethz.ch/education/macis

http://www.cis.ethz.ch/education/macis/admission

(application deadline 15th of April)

- 1.5 years

- Tuition is only $700 per semester

- they offer many RA positions

Oh by the way, a question: OP, you're looking for terminal MAs because otherwise there will be no funding?

While there does appear to be some exceptions (both schools that have a Ph.D program and M.A. funding, and schools with only the M.A. program that do not fund) generally I've found schools with a terminal masters are more likely to offer funding. Also, it is probably a mental aspect, but I feel I am more likely to be accepted to schools that offer terminal masters.

Do you also consider going abroad for an MA? ETH Zurich (Switzerland) offers an excellent program:

http://www.cis.ethz.ch/education/macis

http://www.cis.ethz....macis/admission

(application deadline 15th of April)

- 1.5 years

- Tuition is only $700 per semester

- they offer many RA positions

That program looks interesting and I would be willing to go abroad for a Masters. That specific program requires students that would need a visa (which I would) to apply by an early deadline that has already passed. Thank you for the information though, it is defiantly a program I will look at if I decide to sit out a year and reapply.

Oh, there was a visa issue... I briefly considered ETH but ended up not applying there; I wish I had.

Re Op, thank you for your answer! I am a bit worried though that terminal polisci MA programs do not look like particularly strong programs, though where you get your phd will matter much more in the end. Oh well... Hopefully we'll end up going somewhere this season (provided that not all schools have sent out admissions yet).

Edited by justanotherperson

That program looks interesting and I would be willing to go abroad for a Masters. That specific program requires students that would need a visa (which I would) to apply by an early deadline that has already passed. Thank you for the information though, it is defiantly a program I will look at if I decide to sit out a year and reapply.

I believe that you would get a visa (if you are American) even though you're applying during the second application period. If you are really interested in the program I would call/mail Diana Bruni. She is the student coordinator and responsible for the admission administration. I'd ask her whether an "early decision" would be possible (so you could apply for a visa). I guess that you have good chances to be accepted since fewer people (compared to previous years) applied during the first period because of the new GRE/TOEFL requirements.

I am a third semester student (just about to hand in my Master thesis). It is a very demanding and competitive program - especially during the first year. But the courses are excellent and we have a great faculty. In the research seminars you have 2 professors teaching 6 students. If you have any questions concerning the program, just send me a PM.