I'm really hoping they start letting people know soon. I'm at the edge of my seat because around now is the early end of when they have begun to notify people in the past.

Also I'm pretty sure I made a lot of people's hearts skip a beat when they saw this topic.

Edited by dokkeynot

One is enough to burst that teeny tiny bubble of hope for me.

I'd put money on trolling. The timing was just too perfect, it was within half an hour after I made this topic (yeah, I'm checking that often), and it's listed as website. If you look at the results survey it's phone or email.

it's not fake! it's mine. I received an email that said "decision notification from UC-Berkeley" and it took me to the application website where it said I was admitted w/ a letter from the graduate division. I am obviously quite happy--but also weirded out that no one has heard yet, and I've heard nothing from the department. good luck to everyone else!

it's not fake! it's mine. I received an email that said "decision notification from UC-Berkeley" and it took me to the application website where it said I was admitted w/ a letter from the graduate division. I am obviously quite happy--but also weirded out that no one has heard yet, and I've heard nothing from the department. good luck to everyone else!

Awesome! Congratulations--I knew there wasn't any way someone would consciously choose to cause a fake ruckus.

Congratulations!!

royo, any word on funding?

Yep, that was me. Excited and surprised!

Wait, does this mean they're still notifying? Joega1111, did they mention number of admits in your email?

Would love for my my California dreamin' to not TOTALLY be obliterated by UCLA and Stanford this week. : )

Bespeckled: They didn't mention anything about number of admits or even applicants. However, looking at their admission results from last year, 2 or 3 people were accepted a few scattered days before bunch of acceptances went out on one day - then the rejections a few days after that. Since there's only been like 3 acceptances posted (including mine), my guess would be they are definitely not done notifying. I don't want to falsely get anyone's hopes up, so let me reiterate that this is just my conjecture from looking at the board results from last year. But, I wouldn't give up hope! Good luck!

Edited by joega1111

I agree with @joega1111, I don't think they are done notifying--but it's just conjecture. @wassermelone, yes, they offered me $23,000/year stipend, tuition, health insurance, etc., I think it's their standard package.

also, @joega1111, we applied to a lot of the same schools! what are you thinking about UC-Berkeley?

Its usually a guaranteed 2-2-1 (2 yrs fellowship, 2 teaching, and one dissertation year fellowship); although now UCB has students sign a contract stating that if students want the dissertation year fellowship, they will not be eligible for university funding (including TAships) after the 8th year. Probably not a tipping factor, but an important consideration to keep in mind given the state of the academic job market and the tendency for PhD periods to last longer due to lacks of TT jobs, decreased funding, etc.

Its usually a guaranteed 2-2-1 (2 yrs fellowship, 2 teaching, and one dissertation year fellowship); although now UCB has students sign a contract stating that if students want the dissertation year fellowship, they will not be eligible for university funding (including TAships) after the 8th year. Probably not a tipping factor, but an important consideration to keep in mind given the state of the academic job market and the tendency for PhD periods to last longer due to lacks of TT jobs, decreased funding, etc.

Do you know if 8 years is out of the ordinary for Berkeley?

I agree with @joega1111, I don't think they are done notifying--but it's just conjecture. @wassermelone, yes, they offered me $23,000/year stipend, tuition, health insurance, etc., I think it's their standard package.

also, @joega1111, we applied to a lot of the same schools! what are you thinking about UC-Berkeley?

Yeah we really did apply to a lot of the same places! What's your field? I like Berkeley a lot, although it's not my first or second choice. You? I'm looking forward to visiting in March and who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with it. Congrats on the acceptance and the funding offer....interestingly, they didn't give me a figure for funding, but only said I was nominated for a competitive

"university fellowship" and they would let me know the results in the coming weeks. The whole fellowship/funding mechanism with grad schools is still quite mysterious to me...does this mean I'll have no funding if I don't get that fellowship?

Edited by joega1111

Yeah we really did apply to a lot of the same places! What's your field? I like Berkeley a lot, although it's not my first or second choice. You? I'm looking forward to visiting in March and who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with it. Congrats on the acceptance and the funding offer....interestingly, they didn't give me a figure for funding, but only said I was nominated for a competitive

"university fellowship" and they would let me know the results in the coming weeks. The whole fellowship/funding mechanism with grad schools is still quite mysterious to me...does this mean I'll have no funding if I don't get that fellowship?

I got the same offer. Not sure what it means either.

Bespeckled: They didn't mention anything about number of admits or even applicants. However, looking at their admission results from last year, 2 or 3 people were accepted a few scattered days before bunch of acceptances went out on one day - then the rejections a few days after that. Since there's only been like 3 acceptances posted (including mine), my guess would be they are definitely not done notifying. I don't want to falsely get anyone's hopes up, so let me reiterate that this is just my conjecture from looking at the board results from last year. But, I wouldn't give up hope! Good luck!

Bless you for your results board research and optimism, joega. : ) Trying to not to let myself cling to a sliver of hope and just let this one go as a wash. We'll see.

Congrats again to you and the others accepted. I hope the funding situation works out for you all. I know that was one of the things I was worried about re: Berkeley.