Part time PhD?

comm1980

As a full time employee of the University System of Georgia, I'm eligible for tuition assistance at any University System of Georgia institution. I've been accepted into a PhD program, but I'm going to maintain full time employment (in administration, not faculty). I'm wondering if anyone else has pursued their PhD while also working a full time "real" job?

Some things to consider: I'm not required (or permitted, actually) to take an assistantship position, I already teach as an adjunct at the school where I work, and I was accepted with this all out in the open.

The PhD is in Communication, and I have an MA in a related field and an MBA already. I'm just starting to wonder how many people have taken this route before, and what the challenges specific to this situation might be. I'm planning to take about 7 hours of course work (two classes and a proseminar) per semester. The program requires 47 hours (yikes!) of coursework before starting the dissertation. I know I'm looking at many years ahead of part time study, but that's not what concerns me.

My challenge will be that I'm not looking for an academic career (although, I will stay in higher education administration), so I'm less concerned about publishing/research than others might be. I'd love feedback of any kind on my situation!

Thanks.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're trying to ask.

Despite the rambling, there's only one question mark. I'm asking if anyone else has pursued their PhD on a part time basis while working a full time "regular" (aka, nonacademic) job. I'd like to hear others' responses about the challenges involved and perhaps how it changes the pursuit of the PhD.

You might want to check what the department has to say about it. Many programs/departments won't allow for outside employment.

They know that I work for the System and that I plan to continue my employment while in the program.

I know quite a few people who are doing this. It really just depends on the program and what the requirements are. My program (has both MS and PhD) has most classes in the late afternoon/evening for this very reason. Some people take a class or two a semester, while working at their regular job. Most don't work for the university either. They seem to be handling it okay.

Edited by robot_hamster

My department limits the amount of coursework that can be taken based on how much you're working. That's the official stance at least. I'm sure they'd prefer that you dedicate all of your time to your research, but they can't do much about it if you need to work. They do only allow for six years of post-masters work, you have to petition the school to continue working after that.

Is the 47 credit hour requirement a post-bachelors or post-masters requirement? It seems really high to me; my department requires a minimum of 21 credit to reach candidacy past the masters level. This is in engineering though, so the requirements could be very different for Com.

@Chasely, yeah it is a really high amount of coursework, especially considering you have to come into the program with an MA! This program requires 6 hours per semester of coursework, but I believe they do allow for 10 years (dear god I hope it doesn't take 10 years!), so I think they know their coursework requirements are astronomical.

@robot_hamster, thanks - the classes are in the late afternoon and my work situation is very flexible, so I'm less worried about that side of things.

Are you sure that 47 hours doesn't include some of your master's coursework? I ask because my PhD department requires about that many hours before beginning the dissertation but you can transfer in coursework from related MA/MS programs. I transferred in 21 credit hours, which actually didn't include all of my MA coursework.

Are you sure that 47 hours doesn't include some of your master's coursework? I ask because my PhD department requires about that many hours before beginning the dissertation but you can transfer in coursework from related MA/MS programs. I transferred in 21 credit hours, which actually didn't include all of my MA coursework.

Oh! That's possible. It hasn't really been clear, but that'd be great!

In Education, this is fairly common (part-time PhDs). Your course load seems high to me (2 classes and a proseminar), is that the typical load of part-time PhD students in your program? Are there many part-time students in your program?

From friends that I have seen doing this, it can be a real drain on the personal life aspect. They are either working or doing schoolwork and there isn't much time for anything else. This can be hard to sustain if it ends up taking 8-10 years to complete the degree. Also as your cohort will be completing the program faster than you are, you might feel like you don't have quite the same support system as the full-time students.

My understanding is there are just trade offs that part-time students have to face. Some weeks, the job is the priority and other weeks, school is the priority. If you have a supportive office, it seems like it all works out.

The good news is you are working in the place that you are doing your PhD so you won't be losing time to travel. And since you don't plan on being an academic, you don't have to be concerned about publishing constantly which is good as well.

I'm curious to know why you want to get the PhD in communications if you don't plan on an academic career? Do you need it in your career in higher education administration, or do you plan to do research in the field in a nonacademic setting?

I'm in higher ed fundraising/advancement/development. I plan to study the use of visual rhetoric and persuasive writing in philanthropic fundraising campaigns. And yes, most people in administration in higher education have a terminal degree.

I should add that I teach now, and when I say that I'm not interested in pursuing an academic career, I mean a full-time academic career. I enjoy teaching and fully intend to continue as an adjunct when possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

I have limited knowledge on this.. I started a PhD with the intent of doing the PhD Full time and working Part Time (I know this is the reverse) externally from the department, approx 20-30 hrs a week - prior to this I did an MA fulltime and worked 23 hours a week (graduated with hons so I thought I could pull it off again). This is partly due to England's funding drought, and partly because, in my head I had this idea that while I was working I would be able to gain all this additional experience that would be applicable (same field of work - media job) to the subject I was studying and would therefore come out of my PhD the most well-rounded person in the whole world (or something like that). As it happens, I have found it very hard to focus on a PhD whilst working that much - because I can't get my teeth into it - and it feels like I am drifting - If I were doing the PhD part time it would feel even worse. People say working and doing a PhD part time is hard due to lack of focus or just the 'foreverness' of the course - I can certainly say, as someone who now feels her fulltime PhD has drifted into the realm of Parttime - working this way is VERY difficult. Like I mentioned, I did my MA in the same manner and coped. I can't do it for this. I have lucked out as I have now been offered fulltime funding in Canada and will be going there, but if I hadn't I can honestly say I'd have struggled to finish.

Thanks Frozenroses! I did an MA and an MBA while working fulltime (40 hours/week at least) - combined, I've already been in grad school for the last 5 consecutive years, with a one-year break between my MBA and starting the PhD this fall. It might be a little different because I am working in my career field and it is a part of academia, so it's super flexible with regards to my work schedule (and considering my vice president/boss wrote one of my LORs). I can see what you mean though about it seeming to take forever. I am trying to psychologically prepare myself for at least 6-7 years (almost definitely more) of coursework and dissertation. I'm hoping that having a main research focus/interest that is related to my current job will help blend the two together. Thanks for the feedback!

It depends on the type of program- there are plenty of grad programs designed for people that are also working. I know someone with 2 children, working full-time (I think), who was working on a PhD long-distance. This was in math education. If the program is OK with you working, and other students inthe program are working too, it's probably the type of program where it will work out, if you are willing to put a lot of effort into it.

Thanks eco_env, yes, I think it's probably going to work out. I am pretty sure there are other people currently in the program who are working full time as well. I guess my experience will be a little less traditional than other people who have an assistantship/stipend and are TAing. Luckily (hopefully) I won't have to TA since I'm already adjunct faculty at another state system school. Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I'm semi-nontraditional in how my education has progressed (I'm 31 now), and really, while I was in undergrad, graduate studies were not even on my radar. I guess the PhD has always just been kind of a mystery to me even though I've been in school for so long and have mostly worked in academe!