The Silence is Killing Me!

abrayto1

OMG me too! I had a dream last night that I was accepted into every school I applied to. Best part was they all offered funding. I was so disappointed when I finally realized I had been dreaming...

or were incepted?

OMG me too! I had a dream last night that I was accepted into every school I applied to. Best part was they all offered funding. I was so disappointed when I finally realized I had been dreaming...

It's been messing with my dreams, too. However, I've had nightmares the past several nights. I woke up three times from nightmares last night of which the worst one was about my brother dying and found a (polite) rejection in my inbox this morning. Ironically, I've already been accepted to one program with funding, so you would think my unconscious mind would relax a bit. :/

I've been having a reccuring nightmare that I was rejected from all three schools I applied to. Oh wait, that wasn't a dream... eeek! :o

Oh gods, how terrible! I take it you're already planning for applying next year? That's some serious stamina. I don't know if I'll be able to get back on that horse right away if I get a full round of rejections. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

It's been messing with my dreams, too. However, I've had nightmares the past several nights. I woke up three times from nightmares last night of which the worst one was about my brother dying and found a (polite) rejection in my inbox this morning. Ironically, I've already been accepted to one program with funding, so you would think my unconscious mind would relax a bit. :/

Wow I'm glad I'm not having nightmares...yet. If this process continues at this rate I'm sure the nightmares will start pouring in...

Oh gods, how terrible! I take it you're already planning for applying next year? That's some serious stamina. I don't know if I'll be able to get back on that horse right away if I get a full round of rejections. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Actually, only the first rejection stung. Immediately after, I didn't think I would have the mental strength to go through this again. But really, much of the work has been done. I have a SOP(...it is much easier to edit than to write one from scratch). I have my references who would be happy to provide another letter next year, and I am going to enroll in classes to pull up my Gpa...etc etc. After I put things in perspective, I relaxed and started thinking about next year. Also, it is a bit easier to digest knowing that many highly qualified people end up applying a second time.

Good luck to you! Really, it is not the end of the world to get rejected. Life goes on. If you are not successful this year, your application will only get stronger next year. But hang in there--still lots of time to hear good news :)

I don't have any problems about building up my resume and applying for next year. In fact I look forward to it. I have one study that I will be submitting to publish this fall and another abstract for my senior thesis. If I get an RA position in the interim I may have another abstract to include as well. This year I had zero finished research to go on my cv.

The only thing really keeping me depressed is that my top choice school this year actually invited me to interview and I didn't get in. My other backup in Philly did the same. That means next time I apply, it looks like I'm going to have to move to get my PhD. I will certainly do it, but it was sort of my dream to get to stay and go to school in my favorite city.

I don't have any problems about building up my resume and applying for next year. In fact I look forward to it. I have one study that I will be submitting to publish this fall and another abstract for my senior thesis. If I get an RA position in the interim I may have another abstract to include as well. This year I had zero finished research to go on my cv.

The only thing really keeping me depressed is that my top choice school this year actually invited me to interview and I didn't get in. My other backup in Philly did the same. That means next time I apply, it looks like I'm going to have to move to get my PhD. I will certainly do it, but it was sort of my dream to get to stay and go to school in my favorite city.

It sounds like you will have a very strong application next year! That is very promising :)

You know, many people (around the 25% range, I think I read somewhere) dont get admitted after the interview stage. Sorry if this is a naive question, but knowing how much your application will improve by next year, why would you not re-apply to your top choices? With your completed research/publications etc, I assume that you could highlight a better fit with your top choices next time around, no??

It sounds like you will have a very strong application next year! That is very promising :)

You know, many people (around the 25% range, I think I read somewhere) dont get admitted after the interview stage. Sorry if this is a naive question, but knowing how much your application will improve by next year, why would you not re-apply to your top choices? With your completed research/publications etc, I assume that you could highlight a better fit with your top choices next time around, no??

I've been told by a lot of people in the field that nobody reapplies to schools they were not admitted to after the interview stage. Not sure of the reason, I was just told that it simply isn't done. In any case, it'd be a bit awkward don't you think?

Edited by Marius

I've been told by a lot of people in the field that nobody reapplies to schools they were not admitted to after the interview stage. Not sure of the reason, I was just told that it simply isn't done. In any case, it'd be a bit awkward don't you think?

I guess it depends on how much you want to go to those schools. If there is nothing indicated by the school which would discourage reapplying, I dont see what the problem would be. Sure, it would be awkward--for you, not them. I think they would see it as a sign of perserverence and determination. Good qualities in a candidate, no? Again, I want to stress that this is my personal opinion. I'm sure there are many others reading this thread who are much more informed in this area than me.

Personally, if I had my heart set on going to a specific school, I would reapply. However, I would make sure that I took a thorough look at what I missed this time around. For instance, was it an issue of 'fit'? Did I not have enough research experience? Or was it simply a case of the school not having enough slots? Whatever the reason, I would work on that aspect and highlight it on my next application. Really, what is the worst thing that could happen? You dont get an interview again? For me, I could live with that easier than missing a chance to study at my top school.

The silence is so deafening I need a hearing aid at age 29 :-(

Only 29??! You're a baby! Hang in there Oseirus, it's only March 9th! All will be revealed in time, young grasshopper. :P

Only 29??! You're a baby! Hang in there Oseirus, it's only March 9th! All will be revealed in time, young grasshopper. :P

Haha! Read this as I was thinking about how old I feel (23). I really want to be a young grasshopper annnd for all to be revealed.

The silence was broken with an acceptance!

I was seriously done with this season. I didn't think I had a chance but there you go!

To everyone second guessing and doubting themselves: do not give up yet!

I was seriously done with this season. I didn't think I had a chance but there you go!

Congratulations!!! That's awesome!!

Note to self: it's not over yet...

Congratulations! That's so great to get good news right when you've thrown in the towel :D

My bombardment of 3 rejections was followed by an unfunded acceptance. The financial aspect of it stinks, but at least it's an acceptance and an affirmation that my application didn't completely suck.

Congratulations!!!!

My bombardment of 3 rejections was followed by an unfunded acceptance. The financial aspect of it stinks, but at least it's an acceptance and an affirmation that my application didn't completely suck.

Congrats on the acceptance!! Do you still have decisions pending?

I'm becoming increasingly bitter as the days drag on with no word. I'd honestly rather get rejected from every remaining school tomorrow than get an acceptance a week from today with full funding. I've not had a good night's sleep in almost a month, I barely have any appetite, and I can actively feel my blood pressure rising. No school is worth this.

O for those moments when I let doubt creep in words of hope and encouragement spring up!

Congrats marius! My point exactly :)

I'm becoming increasingly bitter as the days drag on with no word. I'd honestly rather get rejected from every remaining school tomorrow than get an acceptance a week from today with full funding. I've not had a good night's sleep in almost a month, I barely have any appetite, and I can actively feel my blood pressure rising. No school is worth this.

Self care is so very important under stressful conditions. Sometimes it is important to take a step back from the situation and gain some important perspective. You may get in, you may not. You may have to make some tough decisions in the next few weeks or you may not. But no matter what, there will not be a scenario that you CANT handle.

In the larger scheme of things, this is just one hurdle in your life and believe it or not, it will not be your biggest. It just feels like it because you are in the 'here and now'. If you look back at your life, consider all of your accomplishments. I'm willing to bet that you can think of several examples where you had to do something at least twice to get it right--whether it was learning to ride a bike or perfecting an academic achievement, it took time and patience to get it right.

You still have plenty of time to hear back from your schools. If you get in, that is wonderful. If you dont, it is not the end of the world.

If it helps, think about your plan 'B'. Although it sucks to get rejected, knowing that you can do something about it is empowering and motivating.

Most importantly, remember that getting into the perfect grad school does not define you as a person nor should it measure your sense of self worth. It is just one aspect of 'you'. If you get in, be proud because you have every right to be. If you dont get in, be persistent and know that you can and should reapply. And, be proud. This process is not for the faint of heart and getting this far says a lot about you as a person, regardless of the result.

Good luck! Please eat something and get a good night's sleep!

Edited by MSW12 hopeful