Syracuse Maxwell School Admissions Notifications

walker

Is there anybody out here who has applied to Maxwell School International Relations and Diplomacy Masters program at Syracuse University? Has anybody applied for the Fall 2012 admission and been already notified of their admission status? The school said they would start reviewing applications after mid-January and notify applicants weekly afterward, but so far nothing from them. I applied to the school, submitted my application in September, but still haven't heard anything from them regarding my application status. I actually checked with the school and I was told that my application was submitted for review three weeks ago, but there is no decision yet for me. What does that mean? Am I admitted? Rejected? Is there anybody who is also in the same case or who has been alreaady notified? I am worried :'( and sad about my application.

Edited by walker

I don't know if we are applied to the same program but I applied to MAIR at Maxwell and received my acceptance email last Tuesday; I applied around January 5th. I understand that the admission committee is reviewing incoming applications last Monday. Even though, it is on a rolling basic, it's still very early. All my other programs will not hang out decisions till late Feb or Mid March. So just hang in there and give them a call after Feb. 15 to check on your status. Let me know if your have other questions.

Yes, it is the same program we applied to, the MAIR. I submitted my application on September 9th, 2011 and so far no news about it. When I check with them, they say they reviewed my application, just there is no decision yet. Do you know somebody else who applied to the school and got accepted or rejected? I want to know if they have also started notifying applicants who were not admitted.

It depends on the programs. For example, Denver's Korbel, SAIS, and Elliott don't give out decisions till early March. I have a friend who still waiting on Maxwell, dude got a better stat than me for sure. So don't lose hope yet.

• 1 month later...

This won't be particularly helpful, but I've been told by someone in the Admissions Office is that they are indeed making funding decisions this week and next. Here's to hearing back sooner rather than later!

Edited by sengpatt

• 2 weeks later...

Just received Half-Time Graduate Assistantship in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs

There are two distinct parts to this type of University award. This first is a tuition scholarship covering 12 credits of tuition and valued at $15,000. The second is a stipend that is tied to your assigned assistantship duties. The stipend, which is paid bimonthly, is valued at $6,000.

Your assistantship with the department will require 10 hours of work per week over the academic year in administrative or quasi-research positions in the various offices, centers and institutes within Maxwell. Position placements are determined after a student commits to attending Maxwell and take into account the students background, abilities and desires, as well as the needs of the various faculty and institutes overseeing projects in Maxwell. Typical placements include: working on research initiatives within the Alan K. Campbell Public Affairs Institute; the Center for Policy Research; the Program for the Advancement of Research of Conflict and Collaboration; the Moynihan Global Affairs Institute; the Center for Environmental Policy and Administration; and providing administrative and programming support to the Offices of the Dean and Career Development.

This work requirement classifies Graduate Assistants as employees of Syracuse University, and as such they are eligible for University health insurance benefits. In short, the Graduate Assistantship award covers $21,000 of the total cost of attendance for the program.

Is this what other people are seeing?

Just received Half-Time Graduate Assistantship in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs

There are two distinct parts to this type of University award. This first is a tuition scholarship covering 12 credits of tuition and valued at $15,000. The second is a stipend that is tied to your assigned assistantship duties. The stipend, which is paid bimonthly, is valued at $6,000.

Your assistantship with the department will require 10 hours of work per week over the academic year in administrative or quasi-research positions in the various offices, centers and institutes within Maxwell. Position placements are determined after a student commits to attending Maxwell and take into account the students background, abilities and desires, as well as the needs of the various faculty and institutes overseeing projects in Maxwell. Typical placements include: working on research initiatives within the Alan K. Campbell Public Affairs Institute; the Center for Policy Research; the Program for the Advancement of Research of Conflict and Collaboration; the Moynihan Global Affairs Institute; the Center for Environmental Policy and Administration; and providing administrative and programming support to the Offices of the Dean and Career Development.

This work requirement classifies Graduate Assistants as employees of Syracuse University, and as such they are eligible for University health insurance benefits. In short, the Graduate Assistantship award covers $21,000 of the total cost of attendance for the program.

Is this what other people are seeing?

This is what I got.

I'm having trouble figuring how this stacks up financially to other offers I've gotten from 2-year programs. Also, I'm a little confused as to what happens during the 3rd semester, when we're supposed to be on our "global" program. I'm assuming that since we won't be on campus, we'll lose the assistantship part of the deal, but hopefully they'll let us up keep the scholarship portion?