Wait listing is NOT the end!

Hey guys, just another story for this thread. My situation (a week ago!) was that I had gotten two acceptances, one funded and the other more unclear, and waitlisted at a really good match for me. I was really discouraged, because although my funded offer would have been all right (on paper it looks like a fine match), I really disliked it when I visited and my heart just wasn't in it. As soon as I got the notification that I was on the waitlist at the match school, I emailed back immediately expressing that I was still incredibly interested in the school. About a week later, I visited the school with dubious funding, and had a meeting with the DGS in which she basically said it was very unlikely for me to get funding. I left the meeting feeling really down and I happened to check my email. I had gotten in off the waitlist! I think emailing them reiterating my interest really helped. Within a few minutes, I had gotten further emails from my POI and a current graduate student and they were all very enthusiastic about my attending. So, keep your chins up! It can happen!

Yay! I emailed the Director of Grad Finances who signed the letter about chances of getting in and timeframe, and I haven't gotten a response back yet :unsure: The Iowa thread seems a little dead, too. Kinda weird that only one acceptee has claimed getting one, and no one made comments in the acceptance posts. Maybe these other people aren't excited about the offers and WEWILLGETIN! :lol:

I was thinking of emailing too but I'm still trying to piece things together mentally. I'm just more confused than ever. Is Iowa your top choice? [Feel free to PM if you'd rather!]

UGH, are there really 3 potential weeks of this left? I'm hoping it's more like 1, 2 at the most. Really tired of this.

University of the Scary Bovine Mascot Waitlist, Day 38

The gin is gone. As is the beer, the vodka, and my sanity. The stress eating has made me grow out of my pants, adding insult to injury. Three weeks remain. I don't know if I can make it. Someone please make it end.

...or that's the point I'm at, in any event. The closer it gets to the to the 15th, the more my stress mounts too. I think I'm a certifiably crazy person, and the young'uns (read: my highschool co-workers, for further insult) think I'm a borderline alcoholic. This is why I applied to the pastry shop, so I can eat my feelings more fully.

EDIT: Trip, I don't know how helpful this is for you, but my friend who got off the waitlist you're on now was made an offer the first week of April, so it might not be three weeks!

Edited by Fiona Thunderpaws

I was thinking of emailing too but I'm still trying to piece things together mentally. I'm just more confused than ever. Is Iowa your top choice? [Feel free to PM if you'd rather!]

I actually just got a response. This waitlist has really thrown me for a loop. I'll PM you!

Aeplo-- wow, you heard before you knew you were on it? That's pretty awesome! Best of luck with your decision making! And I still can't believe UTA's visiting weekend is so late... The stress is killing me. Even if they do offer me a spot, I'll probably be too far gone in my crazy place to accept by then, and my last words on TGC will be "I liek books."

Anxious--that is super stressful. But in the end, I think your boss would understand if you left. While it might be awkward to tell him, I think it would pass. And I really wish we lived in the same place so we could grab that drink! You seem like you need it more than me today. B)

Thanks, Thunderpaws. I actually just got back from visiting IU (after my longest absence from TGC in weeks). I really,liked a lot of things and felt sort of apathetic about others. It didn't help that I'm more sleep-deprived than I can remember being since writing my UG thesis. I was sort of bummed, because 2 of their 3 major victorianists were out of town. BUT, I did get to meet a Romanticist who really liked my work, apparently really pushed for my admit, and had some really cool suggestions on how to define my interests. So that was badass. Loved the campus (except for all the damn RAIN--oh, and the 1.5-hr-long tornado watch) and liked most of the current students. Long story short, I liked it a lot but still have no certain clarity. Still waiting for the visit to Austin. I am really pulling for you and GauteFeminist. Would love to see the wait-list work out for you both, especially (but even if I don't) end up at UT.

Is it weird that I still can't let go of the idea of Pitt?

Thanks, Thunderpaws. I actually just got back from visiting IU (after my longest absence from TGC in weeks). I really,liked a lot of things and felt sort of apathetic about others. It didn't help that I'm more sleep-deprived than I can remember being since writing my UG thesis. I was sort of bummed, because 2 of their 3 major victorianists were out of town. BUT, I did get to meet a Romanticist who really liked my work, apparently really pushed for my admit, and had some really cool suggestions on how to define my interests. So that was badass. Loved the campus (except for all the damn RAIN--oh, and the 1.5-hr-long tornado watch) and liked most of the current students. Long story short, I liked it a lot but still have no certain clarity. Still waiting for the visit to Austin. I am really pulling for you and GauteFeminist. Would love to see the wait-list work out for you both, especially (but even if I don't) end up at UT.

Is it weird that I still can't let go of the idea of Pitt?

So glad to here your visit went well, even though some of your POIs were off being professor-y! Maybe it's for the best the weather was bad when you went so it can't seduce you with its promises of sunshine and warmth. Of course, I'm sure sunshine and warmth is all the rage in Austin! I hope your visit to Austin is likewise awesome, and if you, me, and GuateAmfeminist all end up getting in, we'll have to meet up! I'll be the really small, furry one.

EDIT: I missed your comment about Pitt somehow. That's not that strange. I was flat out rejected by Rutgers, but every time I see someone post in that thread, I sigh wistfully...

I thought I had my decision made until I was waitlisted at Georgetown. Now, because I can't have it, I want nothing more than to get in. Quit playin' games with my heart, Georgetown.

Diddo. I got an email from the person sending waitlist letters that there is no chance of funding, nor are they disclosing what rank the people are on the waitlist. Of course, I have already considered how I will make it work if I do get admitted, e.g. selling one of my kidneys on the black market, investing my measly savings in the stock market, and so on. And now I can feel my sanity slipping. Glad to know I am not the only one (not saying you have had this extreme of a reaction)

Thanks for this post, OP!! I am waitlisted at my first choice for PhD and I am really hoping that it will work out in a positive way. One of my current professors got her PhD at Yale, and when I told her that I was waitlisted she said, "That's excellent." which threw me off quite a bit, because it feels like such a failure to me, but when she explained that they are only waitlisting people who they want to work with and that getting waitlisted at this level actually is an accomplishment that I should be proud about, it made me feel much better. Three more weeks+ of limbo is nervewracking---but hopefully we will all have good results from it!

Good luck, everyone!!

Reading through the thread, I am so amused that so many of us are wait listed at UMass :) I'm not in the English department, but I was an undergrad in English (and I'm a member of the Alumni advisory board for the undergrad program)---- it is really a great place, with a lot of new life and interesting new directions because of a bunch of young faculty and passionate long term faculty. Best of luck on your status.

Reading through the thread, I am so amused that so many of us are wait listed at UMass :) I'm not in the English department, but I was an undergrad in English (and I'm a member of the Alumni advisory board for the undergrad program)---- it is really a great place, with a lot of new life and interesting new directions because of a bunch of young faculty and passionate long term faculty. Best of luck on your status.

Yay! I'm really so excited about (the possibility of) UMass. They're so nice, the writing program is awesome, I've already staked out classes I wanted take in the fall... :ph34r: . Glad to hear from you and others who only have great things to say about it. From what I can tell, it would be perfect for me. If not this fall, hopefully next!

Yay! I'm really so excited about (the possibility of) UMass. They're so nice, the writing program is awesome, I've already staked out classes I wanted take in the fall... :ph34r: . Glad to hear from you and others who only have great things to say about it. From what I can tell, it would be perfect for me. If not this fall, hopefully next!

I'm visiting tomorrow. Will let you guys know what I think. B)

I too have recently declined my offers from u. wash and university of south carolina. Am currently on NYU's waitlist, however, and am eagerly awaiting. Anyone else also on this? Anyone considering rescinding their offer? ;D

Cquin--I was just talking about that phenomenon with someone else! We attributed it to the dubious magic of the waitlist, where somehow getting in off the waitlist feels more like an accomplishment than being accepted outright, despite the fact that is not the case.

Meg--it is absolutely an accomplishment! I wish you the best of luck with Yale.

We've got this, everyone!

Cquin--I was just talking about that phenomenon with someone else! We attributed it to the dubious magic of the waitlist, where somehow getting in off the waitlist feels more like an accomplishment than being accepted outright, despite the fact that is not the case.

Don't compare kinds of acceptances! An acceptance is an acceptance; it's an accomplishment whether you got it right off the bat or had to wait a little while longer for it. :)

Don't compare kinds of acceptances! An acceptance is an acceptance; it's an accomplishment whether you got it right off the bat or had to wait a little while longer for it. :)

This is also very true, my apologies! I guess I just long for the assurance of that one acceptance. I feel like I'm trying to get this school to go out with me... "Does he like me? Does me like me more than her? Why won't he call?!"

This is also very true, my apologies! I guess I just long for the assurance of that one acceptance. I feel like I'm trying to get this school to go out with me... "Does he like me? Does me like me more than her? Why won't he call?!"

He's Just Not That Into You: Graduate School Edition

Seriously though, I know what you mean. If/when you get off the list, though, don't sell yourself short because you were waitlisted (or your peers, obviously). That's all I meant. :)

Seriously though, I know what you mean. If/when you get off the list, though, don't sell yourself short because you were waitlisted (or your peers, obviously). That's all I meant. :)

I would buy this book. And keep it on my nightstand.

I think I already have that book!

And you're right, as usual. :) I'm just getting to the end of my patience/sanity, as I'm sure everyone else on this thread is. It's hard to stay positive when everything's so uncertain! I think it's time to bake some cookies... I wish I could leave them out for everyone here!

I think it's time to bake some cookies... I wish I could leave them out for everyone here!

Mmmm, cookies. I got a ... let's say sympathetic look from the checkout girl today when she she noticed that my purchase included, um, more than one kind of chocolate.