Wait listing is NOT the end!

At one of my visit weekends, a bunch of us were talking about tattoos in general. Then one kid said he once contemplated getting a full sleeve of author portraits. I think I responded snarkily, but really. That is kind of amazingly awesome.

Hope is the thing with feathers, lolo. Clutch it for dear life - at least, that's what I'm doing.

I also love this whole tattoo conversation, though I've only been an observer - I've been considering a literary tattoo, but I tend to like long, drawn out, wordy passages, and I want something short and to the point for aesthetic purposes. I will (perhaps forever) continue my hunt for the perfect line. I knew a girl who had the Shel Silverstein "Hug O' War" illustration, which first got me thinking that I need something from a book memorialized on my body.

...Also I have a really low threshold for pain. Maybe I haven't found the perfect one because I'm chicken.

Got my Mississippi rejection yesterday and Purdue rejection this morning. Is there any point on holding on to the hope that LSU will pull me off the waitlist?

So sorry lolo. I was really hoping you'd be joining me in West Lafayette next fall :(

Got my Mississippi rejection yesterday and Purdue rejection this morning. Is there any point on holding on to the hope that LSU will pull me off the waitlist?

Aaaah Lolo! It ain't over til it's over. I wish I could give you a big hug. Stay strong.

I am getting a "Timshel" tattoo someday. I've wanted it for a long time. It's from Steinbeck's East of Eden.

I did a hilarious seminar presentation/paper on East of Eden and Timshel once. The seminar was "Mysticism and the Literary Epiphany" but the prof was one term away from retirement and couldn't care less about what we actually wrote about, so I managed to tie it all in somehow. It was kinda fun!

I am currently waitlisted at Western Michigan and Southern Illinois. Does anyone know how often they go to their waitlist, people they accept each year with funding, or anything like that..... I am freaking out.

Thanks! I feel a lot like this:

I kind of wish my acceptance at Duke released spots for everyone but it's my only offer in the CompLit/English field. I might draft fake emails to those programs that rejected me declining their "offers" anyway. B) Congratulations to those others who've been pulled off waitlists and good luck to all those still waiting. There's still time!

Edited by Enzian

I just sent an email to the DGS asking if he knew when waitlisted people might hear back. The email was two sentences long, but it took me ten minutes to send it. :wacko: I think this application process has clipped a few years off my lifespan due to the sheer stress.

I just sent an email to the DGS asking if he knew when waitlisted people might hear back. The email was two sentences long, but it took me ten minutes to send it. :wacko: I think this application process has clipped a few years off my lifespan due to the sheer stress.

Hugs! I'm pulling for you so hard Thunderpaws! When you finally get in I'm definitely having a shot to celebrate.

Fiona Thunderpaws, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I feel like when I'm writing emails to the coordinators at my waitlisted program, my Modern English suddenly appears to me as Middle English.

When might I knoweth mine statous?

Hugs! I'm pulling for you so hard Thunderpaws! When you finally get in I'm definitely having a shot to celebrate.

Thanks! Today's been one of those 'I have no original thoughts and will never be a grad student!' sort of days, so this makes me feel a lot better! :) (Also, confession time--in my dreamland when you return from the Highlands you get into UTA and we are excellent friends, and I really don;t want this dream to vanish!)

Fiona Thunderpaws, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I feel like when I'm writing emails to the coordinators at my waitlisted program, my Modern English suddenly appears to me as Middle English.

When might I knoweth mine statous?

I just laughed for about five minutes straight. Middle English is a good word for it. Everything I send to this department makes me feel like a crazy person. If they reject because I'm crazy, I would believe it. "Well, she seemed like a good candidate, but then she camped out on our lawn and now we're reconsidering..."

Edited by Fiona Thunderpaws

Thanks! Today's been one of those 'I have no original thoughts and will never be a grad student!' sort of days, so this makes me feel a lot better! :) (Also, confession time--in my dreamland when you return from the Highlands you get into UTA and we are excellent friends, and I really don;t want this dream to vanish!)

I have that same dreamland scenario :P When we both get in, we can have a shot (or several) together to celebrate!

I'm sure this weekend has been brutal for everyone on the UT-Austin waitlist. Just hang in there guys!

The 15th is only 8 days away! It seemed like that day would never come but it's almost here! I hope all of us waitlisters hear good news. I'm rooting for all of you!

Edited by GuateAmfeminist

I suspect because of Good Friday we may not hear anything this weekend. I stupidly called and left a message with the graduate secretary at LSU yesterday, then had a facepalm moment when I realized she probably wasn't even coming into the campus.

"Well, she seemed like a good candidate, but then she camped out on our lawn and now we're reconsidering..."

F. Thunderpaws, what a great idea!--I hadn't yet considered that option! ha ha! :D

Antecedant--Yes! That's what will happen.

Anxious--I don't know how the 15th being a Sunday will work, but I have seem schools make offers after the 15th. With the last two days of this whole thing being on a weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few last minute things happening after the weekend.

At this point in the game, I kind of just want to know one way or the other. Easter Dinner's going to super fun tonight. I've been avoiding my extended family for a few months to spare myself the anxiety of answering their questions. But now there is no escape!