Wait listing is NOT the end!

Congrats to everyone who's had good luck with the wait-lists thus far! You've all given me a little bit of hope. I too am playing the game for the first time: wait-listed for Georgetown's MA. Trying not to get my hopes up too high but I can't stop imagining moving to DC in August!

On another note, I also applied to Columbia's MA and have yet to hear anything--and according to the forum they've both accepted and rejected people. What does that mean for me? I figure it's probably not great news, but I wish they'd just hurry up and tell me already! Can anyone offer any insight as to what the heck is taking them so long?

I'm also still waiting on Iowa, but for English/Lit studies. I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this one, but I'm going to email about my status tomorrow. My hair will probably be completely gray if I have to wait until the 15th, esp. since they were encouraging that they'd find aid before then.

Are you on the waitlist for that department? Or are you just waiting on any news, period? Also, forgive the impertinence, but my general impression is that UIowa isn't among the most prominent programs for English--feel free to correct me though. I know their Comp Lit + Cinema department is amazing, though.

I have to say I'm loving my waitlist school for keeping me updated. BUT now I know that they're waiting to hear from 7 people. It's a big enough number to hope...small enough to be seriously worried...If I'm 6 or 7 on the waitlist, things are probably a no-go...If I'm higher....dear god, these thoughts are so debilitating. At least they're serving sundaes at lunch today.

Are you on the waitlist for that department? Or are you just waiting on any news, period? Also, forgive the impertinence, but my general impression is that UIowa isn't among the most prominent programs for English--feel free to correct me though. I know their Comp Lit + Cinema department is amazing, though.

Er, yeah, I am on Iowa's waitlist. And I'm not sure what you mean by "most prominent," but Iowa is a very well-regarded program and ranks in the top 50 and top 30 in different systems, if rankings are what you mean. It's also very strong in my subfield.

I have to say I'm loving my waitlist school for keeping me updated. BUT now I know that they're waiting to hear from 7 people. It's a big enough number to hope...small enough to be seriously worried...If I'm 6 or 7 on the waitlist, things are probably a no-go...If I'm higher....dear god, these thoughts are so debilitating. At least they're serving sundaes at lunch today.

I know what you mean. I think I'm going to be turning around the hypotheticals in my stomach for the next three days. Blurgh.

I read that "serving students at lunch today."

Is that a mark of mental state or what?

Ugh, yes, my school will tell me nothing either. If it were not for the lovely GFers, I wouldn't know a thing and would be losing my marbles. But no one has gotten in off the waitlist according to the results survey either. I just going to assume I'm still in the running until I hear one way or another.

I kind of hope we all hear by today or tomorrow, but my one professor seemed to think it could likely go into next week as well. Looking at last year's results, the 16th was a popular day as well. I don't know how much longer I can last.

Interesting. I thought it was more or less normal for waitlisting departments to at least give an inquiring waitlistee some sense of their position? Or at the very least, some information about the waitlist situation (size, expected cohort, etc.)?

UTA has an unranked waitlist, and maybe some of Adam's schools have a similar setup. It makes sense for UTA since they encourage interdisciplinary research among their cohort. Unfortunately, UTA also has a closed-lips policy when it comes to responding to queries from both waitlisted people and their acceptees. I guess it made sense to a point, but this late in the game, it does seem weird. If I had other offers I'd need to know how likely my chances of admission were! I emailed them almost a week ago asking when I might hear back, but there was no reply. I'm assuming it's because they're making a fellowship just for me. It's called "Thunderpaws--the Coolest Cat on Campus" and it's a one shot deal. Yep. That's what they're doing all right.

I just called LSU to see if I can get any clarity because me email is not being responded to. Shockingly, I got transferred to vmail. I'm sure I'll be called back as the message says <insert sarcasm>. I just want to know because I have considered myself not accepted, but I need an answer for real because this ridiculous sense of hope keeps pinging me in the back of the head.

They are both being super mysterious. The grad director at one of them only said she couldn't say anything until they'd heard back from more people (even very general info), and the other... well... the grad director never responded to me, and the grad assistant said that all she could tell me was that I was wait-listed, and that even she didn't know anything else. At this rate, I am just going to assume I have actually been wait-listed at two competing international spy schools, and that they are literally so clandestine that no-one really knows anything. ;P All in all, I am not full of hope (but I got plenty of stress, if anyone's lookin' for some).