Wait listing is NOT the end!

I just wish that I could throw up all of my bad emotions right now.

I have one acceptance, and I'm extremely grateful for it, as last year's season resulted in nothing but a waitlist that turned into a rejection (yes, waitlisting can be the end, too). However, taking that offer would mean living 2.5 hours away from my husband while he works on his M.F.A.

My waitlist is on a campus where he has already been accepted, so we could live together (gasp!). Both of us have pressure for responses from the programs that have admitted us. I emailed my waitlist school, and they didn't even bother to write me back with a "sorry, no news yet." I know everyone's busy right now, but that doesn't mean that we can throw out common courtesy.

I don't want a medium-distance marriage. I just want to live with my husband, and I want to know if that's going to be a possibility for us. Preferably before April 15 so we don't have to be "those people."

Thanks for letting me rant. I needed it.

I just wish that I could throw up all of my bad emotions right now.

I have one acceptance, and I'm extremely grateful for it, as last year's season resulted in nothing but a waitlist that turned into a rejection (yes, waitlisting can be the end, too). However, taking that offer would mean living 2.5 hours away from my husband while he works on his M.F.A.

My waitlist is on a campus where he has already been accepted, so we could live together (gasp!). Both of us have pressure for responses from the programs that have admitted us. I emailed my waitlist school, and they didn't even bother to write me back with a "sorry, no news yet." I know everyone's busy right now, but that doesn't mean that we can throw out common courtesy.

I don't want a medium-distance marriage. I just want to live with my husband, and I want to know if that's going to be a possibility for us. Preferably before April 15 so we don't have to be "those people."

Thanks for letting me rant. I needed it.

Cread, I feel for you, this is a really tough spot to be in! As a married person myself with a partner also pursuing the world of academia/medicine, it is so incredibly difficult to navigate your higher degrees together and to align yourselves geographically. Here's one more person hoping the wait-list pulls through for you---but if not, perhaps you two could live together somewhere in the middle and both commute about an hour or so to your programs? I know that doesn't sound like much fun commute-wise, but at least you'll be coming home to one another at the end of the day....

Just got word that things are "starting to loosen up," and if I am made an offer, it will probably be after April 10th.

Well, at least I can stop thinking about it until next week. :) However, it doesn't sound super-promising. But, eh... I'll just wait.

Good luck, Trip. It doesn't seem like many people are getting off waitlists as of yet. Except at Maryland where my BF says that a lot of people aren't accepting.

It's funny you say that about Maryland; that was my impression, too. I didn't accept their offer because I frankly was offended by their mode of offering it. I applied for the PhD and got accepted to the MA but it was basically a "you can come here, I guess" kind of acceptance. Maybe making life decisions based off of gut reactions isn't the best, but there you go. Plus the letter was completely riddled with spelling errors!

Trip-- I'm jealous you at least don't have to start worrying again until the 10th! (Also, the 10th seems like a strangely arbitrary date but whatever Rutgers.) UTA's visiting weekend is tomorrow, and I know from this weekend onward I'll be in total freakout mode until the 15th. Which isn't that long, but still...

Cread--I really hope everything works out for for you and your husband. I admire people who go through this with serious partners, I don't think I could make it work...

On a totally unrelated note, if I get into grad school, what sort of tattoo should I get to commemorate the experience? My friend suggested I get 'waitlisting in NOT the end' done, but somehow I disagree.

On a totally unrelated note, if I get into grad school, what sort of tattoo should I get to commemorate the experience? My friend suggested I get 'waitlisting in NOT the end' done, but somehow I disagree.

YES, get a tattoo! I have been putting mine off for a while and AM GETTING ONE once I decide where I'm going! (I'll likely get a Whitman quote or a crow.)

YES, get a tattoo! I have been putting mine off for a while and AM GETTING ONE once I decide where I'm going! (I'll likely get a Whitman quote or a crow.)

I like your ideas! I have been seriously considering getting one should I get in. (Hell, even if I don't.) I imagine Whitman has a lot of personal meaning for you based on your profile picture, but what about the crow? I've never gotten a tattoo before so I'm interested in how people reached/are reaching their decision for what to get.

I like your ideas! I have been seriously considering getting one should I get in. (Hell, even if I don't.) I imagine Whitman has a lot of personal meaning for you based on your profile picture, but what about the crow? I've never gotten a tattoo before so I'm interested in how people reached/are reaching their decision for what to get.

Yeah, the crow confuses most people. I guess I just like them. They're very intelligent (see here). If I don't get a crow it'd be "and your very flesh shall be a great poem," which I think would rule as a tattoo. One of my friends was considering a Shakespeare quote (don't know if that ever panned out); knew someone else who got "riverrun," from Joyce. Literary tattoos, FTW!

Thinking of tattoos takes my mind off of waiting, yay.

Yeah, the crow confuses most people. I guess I just like them. They're very intelligent (see here). If I don't get a crow it'd be "and your very flesh shall be a great poem," which I think would rule as a tattoo. One of my friends was considering a Shakespeare quote (don't know if that ever panned out); knew someone else who got "riverrun," from Joyce. Literary tattoos, FTW!

I can't blame you, crows are awesome. There's quite a few of them where I live now, and sometimes I go out just to watch them. I also think they have a sort of unassuming majesty. They're really interesting animals! I've seen them work together to drive out read tails in my yard. Though that article brings them to a new level of terrifying yet cool.

I bet he didn't know it at the time, but that Whitman quote is just destined to be a be a tattoo. My friend's a writer and has 'no day without a word' in Latin on his forearm. It's a work reminder, with the added bonus of looking awesome!

I'm tempted to get a crest of Florence (I studied abroad there and it was really moving and contributed a great deal to my desire to go on into graduate work) or a cat's paw print... But I'm worried if I do the latter I'll seem even more like the crazy cat lady I secretly kind of am.

And yeah-thinking of tattoos is way better than freaking out over waitlist things we have no control over. :wacko:

I can't blame you, crows are awesome. There's quite a few of them where I live now, and sometimes I go out just to watch them. I also think they have a sort of unassuming majesty. They're really interesting animals! I've seen them work together to drive out read tails in my yard. Though that article brings them to a new level of terrifying yet cool.

I bet he didn't know it at the time, but that Whitman quote is just destined to be a be a tattoo. My friend's a writer and has 'no day without a word' in Latin on his forearm. It's a work reminder, with the added bonus of looking awesome!

I'm tempted to get a crest of Florence (I studied abroad there and it was really moving and contributed a great deal to my desire to go on into graduate work) or a cat's paw print... But I'm worried if I do the latter I'll seem even more like the crazy cat lady I secretly kind of am.

And yeah-thinking of tattoos is way better than freaking out over waitlist things we have no control over. :wacko:

BTW -- my cat looks like the one in your pic (a tortie), except she's less furry; and yes, I live in fear of being the crazy cat lady.

Well I've sufficiently done some good derailing. Go cats and tattoos!

I have a strong, though unconfirmed, suspicion that an unparalleled number of cat ladies reside among humanitarians!

Torties are the best! The real Thunderpaws is 20 pounds of cat, plus long fur, plus a ridiculous attitude. Her favourite pastimes include attacking dogs, and eating my clothing.

I approve of derailment.

Dazed- did you go to the visiting day?

No I didn't. Like I said, I made my decision based entirely on automatic aversion. I mean, I sat on it for about a month, but I don't know that I ever seriously considered going there. Not really a technique I would recommend, but there it is :)

I have the "and your very flesh" quote tattooed on my left side ribs. :) I'm not really a Whitman person, but I had a dance career before I started this whole academia thing, and that quote so perfectly encapsulated what dance and performance was about for me that I had to have it on me permanently.

It is my favourite tattoo.

For my next one, I am torn between a certain Donne quite and a certain Milton one....I'm leaning towards Donne (since it is incredibly applicable to where I'm at right now) and saving the Milton for when I have my PhD in hand. ;)

Edited by DorindaAfterThyrsis

I have the "and your very flesh" quote tattooed on my left side ribs. :) I'm not really a Whitman person, but I had a dance career before I started this whole academia thing, and that quote so perfectly encapsulated what dance and performance was about for me that I had to have it on me permanently.

It is my favourite tattoo.

For my next one, I am torn between a certain Donne quite and a certain Milton one....I'm leaning towards Donne (since it is incredibly applicable to where I'm at right now) and saving the Milton for when I have my PhD in hand. ;)

That's awesome!

"April is the cruelest month."

Hell yes.

Also, I have a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy tattoo, which some may say is not literary but I disagree. I've also been planning my next one for May or so but I keep switching ideas so I may have to delay it.

Hell yes.

Also, I have a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy tattoo, which some may say is not literary but I disagree. I've also been planning my next one for May or so but I keep switching ideas so I may have to delay it.

Is it the number 42? Do you have the meaning of life tattooed upon your body?

Below my calf muscle, my left leg says "Don't" and my right leg says "Panic". I consider it a public service, encouraging society to be more literate: I ran a race two weeks ago, and I passed like four groups who laughed and then started talking about the books/movies. Anything that gets random strangers talking about reading is good with me!

These may be of interest to some of you!

http://www.contrariwise.org/

http://literarytattoos.livejournal.com/

I'm planning on getting a tattoo soon. I've been wanting to get at least one done for AGES, but I am so indecisive on where I'd want to put it. The one I'm positive I'll be getting in the next 1-2 years is a simple one: an aesc in woad blue in a manuscript font on the back of my neck. My given name + my areas of interest + my lifelong fascination of all things medieval/Anglo Saxon + my love of letters + a story or three with my mom and books... well, yeah. :)

Below my calf muscle, my left leg says "Don't" and my right leg says "Panic". I consider it a public service, encouraging society to be more literate: I ran a race two weeks ago, and I passed like four groups who laughed and then started talking about the books/movies. Anything that gets random strangers talking about reading is good with me!

These may be of interest to some of you!

http://www.contrariwise.org/

http://literarytatto...ivejournal.com/

I'm planning on getting a tattoo soon. I've been wanting to get at least one done for AGES, but I am so indecisive on where I'd want to put it. The one I'm positive I'll be getting in the next 1-2 years is a simple one: an aesc in woad blue in a manuscript font on the back of my neck. My given name + my areas of interest + my lifelong fascination of all things medieval/Anglo Saxon + my love of letters + a story or three with my mom and books... well, yeah. :)

Love.