Wait listing is NOT the end!

So what you're saying is that there isn't much realistic chance of a waitlist admission, if I understand correctly? Not only must I hope that they didn't extend admissions by too much (i.e., offering 20 spots hoping for a cohort of 5), but also that enough admitted students must decline such that they can turn to the waitlist. And on top of that I would have to be high enough on the list, or, if not ranked, then my research interest should align favourably.

Great.

Just want to say that waitlists DO sometimes turn into admits. I am currently in the PhD program at a top 10 department, and was admitted off of the waitlist. I am most certainly not the only person in my department for whom this is true. Remember that there are people admitted into multiple programs who are perhaps waiting to hear from waitlists too before they make a decision: things can shuffle drastically between now and the 15th, and even beyond the 15th. It ain't over til it's over.

Rooting for all of you to end up where you want to be.

Just want to say that waitlists DO sometimes turn into admits. I am currently in the PhD program at a top 10 department, and was admitted off of the waitlist. I am most certainly not the only person in my department for whom this is true. Remember that there are people admitted into multiple programs who are perhaps waiting to hear from waitlists too before they make a decision: things can shuffle drastically between now and the 15th, and even beyond the 15th. It ain't over til it's over.

Thanks for this, 28verses. We all needed to hear it.

So, has anyone declined or accepted any offers today/planning to in the next two days or so? Just curious. Not just speaking for myself, speaking for others too.

Also, let's say, hypothetically, I accepted CUNY's offer on Sunday and then Rutgers offered me a spot after... what does one do in that situation?

I've heard of people changing their minds. It would probably piss of the reject school pretty badly, but on the other hand, it would make the wait-listed people's day.

My goal is to decide tomorrow. IU is giving me some pressure, especially because I'm holding up a first-year fellowship spot, but I'm just not ready to commit yet. I keep flip-flopping. I feel like I need to lean toward one school for at least a solid day before I sign anything.

I've heard of people changing their minds. It would probably piss of the reject school pretty badly, but on the other hand, it would make the wait-listed people's day.

My goal is to decide tomorrow. IU is giving me some pressure, especially because I'm holding up a first-year fellowship spot, but I'm just not ready to commit yet. I keep flip-flopping. I feel like I need to lean toward one school for at least a solid day before I sign anything.

What's the teaching load and stipend after the first-year fellowship? If you don't mind sharing. Just curious.

I think year two is 1:1 with something like $15.5K and after that it goes to 2:1. I get the impression, though, that later years get increasingly more individualized as far as funding goes. They guarantee it, obviously, but it seems there are different types of things to award to different types of students. For example, I didn't know until I asked that they award a dissertation fellowship to a Victorianist each year, specifically.

I am in a similar position. I am really leaning toward one school, but I am on a wait list for a school that I would consider. To be honest, I don't know if I would even take the wait list offer if I got it, but I really don't know what I would do unless I get it, so I am nervous to go ahead and accept the offer I have been leaning towards and then end up getting in off the wait list and regretting my decision.....But at the same time, I am like 90% sure I would take the offer I have now, and I am feeling a little pressured to accept it already (they have been very nice, but all the niceness is what is making me feel bad), so a part of me just wants to accept it and move on with my life..... ugh.

is UT-Austin comparable? or is it a pretty different package you're considering?

UT-Austin is comparable, just different. No first-year fellowship (you begin as a TA right away and then move on to AI in third year), but more money overall and almost guaranteed dissertation fellowship. That's the problem with this horrible decision. They each edge each other out but in different ways.

Thanks for this. :)

An open question which anyone can respond to: The 15th is not far away. As I understand it, this is sort of a deadline for students to whom offers have been made to respond to the university making that offer. But we all know that in academia such deadlines are more of guidelines, really. Since I'm on a waiting list, U. Iowa won't turn to that list until they've heard from all their initial offers. That in itself could take upto and including the 15th, right? So I should still expect to hear things after the 15th, possibly?

I just got accepted off the wait list at UCLA. It was my only admittance this year, but was also my first choice. I feel like crying with happiness that this process is finally over! There IS hope. Hang in there, folks.

It could happen to any one of us. Congrats, chapter1!! UCLA is amazing. You'll do great.

BTW, I passed the time and distracted myself tonight by 1) drinking many beers, and 2) Re-watching the Korean film Mother. It's so amazing, especially the very last scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPcijFQ4PpU

Thanks for this. :)

An open question which anyone can respond to: The 15th is not far away. As I understand it, this is sort of a deadline for students to whom offers have been made to respond to the university making that offer. But we all know that in academia such deadlines are more of guidelines, really. Since I'm on a waiting list, U. Iowa won't turn to that list until they've heard from all their initial offers. That in itself could take upto and including the 15th, right? So I should still expect to hear things after the 15th, possibly?

I'm also still waiting on Iowa, but for English/Lit studies. I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this one, but I'm going to email about my status tomorrow. My hair will probably be completely gray if I have to wait until the 15th, esp. since they were encouraging that they'd find aid before then.

HOW AWESOME is the dancing scene on the bus?

It is awesome. That film is pain, joy, and psychosis all rolled into one. A very good estimation of what we're all going through, I'm sure.

P.S. Rooting for you transcendental, and you know it! [AND ALL 'YALL]