Wait listing is NOT the end!

Congrats, AA!!!! It is definitely true, don't let the doubts get you! I am so excited for you!!

And congrats to Germaine as well. What IS it with Friday the 13th and waitlisted people?

Now we just need ALL the schools to make offers to everyone still waiting.

Echoing the massive round of congrats! I've been following this thread semi-obsessively, mostly for the vicarious adrenaline rush but also because UT-A is near the top of the list of schools I would have applied to if geography weren't an issue. Well done all, and fingers crossed for those still waiting.

So happy for you guys.

(ps I think the best episode of television is the one where Zack finds out he has a Native American grandfather and has a vision.)

Oh, cultural (in)competence... have you ever seen the Native American episode of Roseanne? It's just as bad.

Just found out I'm 2nd on the waitlist and it doesn't look so great for me. The word "unlikely" was used in my latest email update... :(

Wow. Two people away from the dream program. What a shame.

Oh, Trip, I'm so sorry to hear that. Crazier things HAVE happened!! Internet hugz.

I have not been offered any details whatsoever regarding my waitlist status, despite explicit requests to the DGS. All I was told that I'd know more by/around the 16th.

I'M IN AT UMASS!!!!!!!

Meaning I just got a Writing Program offer via e-mail saying that "I should be hearing good news" from the DGS soon. Since it's not direct from Dr. Clingman, I am harboring this horrible fear that it's not true. BUT IT IS. I THINK.

This can only be the start of a positive trend for the next 48 hours...I hope! Keep 'em coming, GC!

Congratulations!!!!

Just found out I'm 2nd on the waitlist and it doesn't look so great for me. The word "unlikely" was used in my latest email update... :(

Sorry Trip :( But CUNY is an amazing program to have in reserve! Patricia Ticineto Clough from CUNY spoke to the English and Comp Lit theory group yesterday, and she was amazing. So many great people at CUNY!

Well, was just told by the DGS that I am "not on the waiting list for the remaining position" (odd phrasing..?). I'll take that to mean a no, which means a wipe-out for this admission cycle.

I am, however, determined to pursue this, and therefore will be around next fall. And, if required, the next, etc.

Well, was just told by the DGS that I am "not on the waiting list for the remaining position" (odd phrasing..?). I'll take that to mean a no, which means a wipe-out for this admission cycle.

I am, however, determined to pursue this, and therefore will be around next fall. And, if required, the next, etc.

Sorry to hear that Swagato. Best of luck for the next season!

Dislike! That seems quite a bit different from what they were telling you before. But CUNY is a really great school, and you get to be in NYC instead of New Jersey. Not that New Brunswick is a bad place, but it's no NYC!

Sorry to hear that, Swagato. But I bet next time around you'll get into ALL the places.

I guess what honestly rubs me the wrong way is that I pulled my arse off a sub-3.0 undergraduate GPA into UChicago, which has one of the best departments in my field, and yet couldn't leverage that straight into the PhD. I know I'm being unreasonable and hell, I've even gotten amazing feedback from many GC'ers and faculty who have been vital to making me understand what I need to reshape and fix about my SOP/writing sample...but still, it sometimes feels like I jumped across the Grand Canyon and then tripped over a rock.

But hey. We've all seen how amazing this community is, and how sincerely fucking hard we work to get where we want to. And I've seen most of us achieve it. So I'm going to get right back to work and we'll see how things go in a year. I'm saying this not just for myself, but for anyone else who reads this and may be in a similar place.

I'm done waiting. Albany filled their last funded spots yesterday, so we're moving to Pennsylvania. It's going to be a long two years living apart, but I think it will be worth it.

Sorry rainy! Best of luck next year! With those three waitlists this season, I'm sure you WILL get into ALL the schools next season!

Thanks, lyonness! Maybe we'll be classmates, yet!

Also, I'd really encourage anyone who didn't make it in this year to write to their respective schools, especially where they were waitlisted, and ask for some feedback. The feedback I have received has been extremely helpful and actually very uplifting.

Edited by rainy_day

Rainy, I am planning to do just that. Could you PM me? I'd love to discuss strategies/how to broach the issue, etc.

If anyone else wants to chime in with suggestions, please go ahead.