Wait listing is NOT the end!

Some questions for my fellow wait-listers. How are you handling getting information, asking questions, and possibly visiting the school(s) at which you're waitlisted? If my waitlist happens to become an acceptance right at the very last moment, I'd like to be able to make a decision quickly, but I still have lots of questions to ask of the waitlist before I can make an informed decision between my waitlist and my straight up acceptance. I was accepted with funding a while ago from one school and have been able to get many of my questions answered by email already and will get the remainder (non-deal-breaker q's) answered when I visit. What about the waitlist school? Should I wait another week or so before barraging them with questions? Should I even bother? I don't know what to do. :unsure: Iowa told me they are hopeful they can let me know "well before April 15," which at this point seems to be a very relative phrase. My decision is going to be very close to April 15th anyway because of my work schedule-- I had to schedule a campus visit close to the deadline (April 13th, which is a Friday!).

Also, if your acceptance from a waitlist comes on April 1/April Fool's Day, will you believe it? :)

Some questions for my fellow wait-listers. How are you handling getting information, asking questions, and possibly visiting the school(s) at which you're waitlisted? If my waitlist happens to become an acceptance right at the very last moment, I'd like to be able to make a decision quickly, but I still have lots of questions to ask of the waitlist before I can make an informed decision between my waitlist and my straight up acceptance. I was accepted with funding a while ago from one school and have been able to get many of my questions answered by email already and will get the remainder (non-deal-breaker q's) answered when I visit. What about the waitlist school? Should I wait another week or so before barraging them with questions? Should I even bother? I don't know what to do. :unsure: Iowa told me they are hopeful they can let me know "well before April 15," which at this point seems to be a very relative phrase. My decision is going to be very close to April 15th anyway because of my work schedule-- I had to schedule a campus visit close to the deadline (April 13th, which is a Friday!).

Also, if your acceptance from a waitlist comes on April 1/April Fool's Day, will you believe it? :)

I had one contact with Rutgers after the initial e-mail and I was assured that I was very high on the waitlist and likely to get in. I was also told that they'd be in regular contact. The person I spoke to said to ask if I had questions and said to send them by e-mail if I did. I sent a few questions about three weeks ago, but no response. Sent a check-in e-mail earlier this week also with no response. I'm confused as to what it all means, but I think I just have to be patient. Either they're no longer interested in me or they're waiting until they can tell me definitively that I'll get in. :mellow:

I had one contact with Rutgers after the initial e-mail and I was assured that I was very high on the waitlist and likely to get in. I was also told that they'd be in regular contact. The person I spoke to said to ask if I had questions and said to send them by e-mail if I did. I sent a few questions about three weeks ago, but no response. Sent a check-in e-mail earlier this week also with no response. I'm confused as to what it all means, but I think I just have to be patient. Either they're no longer interested in me or they're waiting until they can tell me definitively that I'll get in. :mellow:

Ugh that sucks. This lady I've been in touch with at Iowa is the Director of Finances for the dept, not DGS or a prof in my subfied, and while in the email she does sound really hopeful they can find me funding, I still want to know a lot stuff about the program. I'd be really happy with Fordham so I want to know more about Iowa and am not sure if I'd accept Iowa at the drop of the hat just yet, but it does have a lot going for it already (ha). Iowa's not saying where I am on the waitlist or anything like that, but they do sound hopeful. BUT WHO KNOWS. Agh.

Trip, that sounds frustrating. I would not at all take email silence to mean they're not interested in you. It's probably just bonkers over there right now. Which is not an excuse really.

I've emailed the DGS at the school where I'm waitlisted two times over the last month: once initially to express interest and ask about the waiting list process, and once just a couple days ago to ask if any new information was available. She replied quickly and pleasantly both times but wasn't really able to provide very much info. Understandably.

I was planning to visit their department in person, but honestly my two visits so far have drained me to the point where I doubt I'll make it out there before decision time. (I don't know what I would do with myself if I'd been put-together enough to get more than two offers.) I did have coffee with the professor I would hope to work with from that school, and we had a very nice, if brief, chat. Which makes me feel a little bit better about potentially having to make a decision sight unseen.

I'm wiped out; my girlfriend just wants to know where the hell I'm going to be next year; the thrill of being recruited has worn off. I just want to know what comes next.

Ugh that sucks. This lady I've been in touch with at Iowa is the Director of Finances for the dept, not DGS or a prof in my subfied, and while in the email she does sound really hopeful they can find me funding, I still want to know a lot stuff about the program. I'd be really happy with Fordham so I want to know more about Iowa and am not sure if I'd accept Iowa at the drop of the hat just yet, but it does have a lot going for it already (ha). Iowa's not saying where I am on the waitlist or anything like that, but they do sound hopeful. BUT WHO KNOWS. Agh.

I've got a similar situation. I have major reservations about accepting a school I won't have a chance to visit, so I'd like information. However, I don't want to seem like a nag, and I also have no idea if I'm going to get as accurate an impression from emailing as I would from actually meeting people.... :unsure:

I'm waitlisted at BU, and they've been extremely helpful in answering all of my questions. I've had several conversations with the DGS, my POI, and current grad students. I also asked permission to sit in on a graduate seminar to see what it was like, and everyone involved was very nice about that, too. I would definitely encourage fellow waitlisters to reach out to anyone who might be able to answer your questions. BU actually invited waitlisters to their open house, so they might be more accommodating than other programs, but I think you certainly have the right to put your questions out there.

I've got a similar situation. I have major reservations about accepting a school I won't have a chance to visit, so I'd like information. However, I don't want to seem like a nag, and I also have no idea if I'm going to get as accurate an impression from emailing as I would from actually meeting people.... :unsure:

Yeah, I definitely think visiting is important, but since I'm working at a new job that does NOT know I have grad school in my future, it's been hard for me to secure time off for visits. I guess I'd like to know if I'm in at the waitlist before I visit. :mellow:

I'm waitlisted at BU, and they've been extremely helpful in answering all of my questions. I've had several conversations with the DGS, my POI, and current grad students. I also asked permission to sit in on a graduate seminar to see what it was like, and everyone involved was very nice about that, too. I would definitely encourage fellow waitlisters to reach out to anyone who might be able to answer your questions. BU actually invited waitlisters to their open house, so they might be more accommodating than other programs, but I think you certainly have the right to put your questions out there.

That's awesome. Maybe I will get some emails going in the next few days. My questions probably can be cleared up by email, but I think a lot of it depends on what sort of funding I might get and how many courses I'd take at one time, which leads to the time to degree question.

Yeah, I definitely think visiting is important, but since I'm working at a new job that does NOT know I have grad school in my future, it's been hard for me to secure time off for visits. I guess I'd like to know if I'm in at the waitlist before I visit. :mellow:

Yeah, I won't be flying across an ocean AGAIN, so my visits are over. Honestly, I'm wondering if it's time to throw in the towel on this wait list situation, because it's just turning into torture.

Trip, that sounds frustrating. I would not at all take email silence to mean they're not interested in you. It's probably just bonkers over there right now. Which is not an excuse really.

I've emailed the DGS at the school where I'm waitlisted two times over the last month: once initially to express interest and ask about the waiting list process, and once just a couple days ago to ask if any new information was available. She replied quickly and pleasantly both times but wasn't really able to provide very much info. Understandably.

I was planning to visit their department in person, but honestly my two visits so far have drained me to the point where I doubt I'll make it out there before decision time. (I don't know what I would do with myself if I'd been put-together enough to get more than two offers.) I did have coffee with the professor I would hope to work with from that school, and we had a very nice, if brief, chat. Which makes me feel a little bit better about potentially having to make a decision sight unseen.

I'm wiped out; my girlfriend just wants to know where the hell I'm going to be next year; the thrill of being recruited has worn off. I just want to know what comes next.

How was the Cornell visit? Are you pretty much decided at this point, are you maybe holding out for Princeton?

Cornell was lovely. It's like intellectual summer camp--for six years. The department loves its graduate students, and in turn the graduate students seemed super happy. I'm not at all decided and will try to hold out and see whether the waiting list comes through.

Good luck! You are faced with such tough and awesome choices. Envious...

I'm excited that Cornell has their summer school of theory. I wish I were going this summer (AFFECT THEORY!), but I am so going in the next couple summers. Such a cool department and school!

Summer school still exists at the graduate level? This makes me happy. :)

Summer school still exists at the graduate level? This makes me happy. :)

Now all I can think of is discussing critical theory by a campfire while roasting marshmallows. :lol:

Wait, that's summer CAMP.... Definitely some misreading on my part.

Edited by coffeeplease

I haven't gone to Cornell's School of Theory yet, but given that I'm from Montana, I plan on making campfires and roasting marshmallows. . .whether that's cool or not ;)

I don't see how that could NOT be cool. I'll bring the graham crackers!

I just declined Johns Hopkins, Cornell, and UCLA. I hope this helps someone! I declined UVA about a week ago and did see an acceptance go up on the board soon thereafter... Good luck!

I just declined Johns Hopkins, Cornell, and UCLA. I hope this helps someone! I declined UVA about a week ago and did see an acceptance go up on the board soon thereafter... Good luck!

I wish you were in History! I need more people to decline JHU. You've declined some really great programs, and must be going somewhere totally amazing next year. Congrats!