Rescinding a Decision to Enroll (cross-posted)

roxyshoe

Hi everyone,

I was admitted to U Chicago's MSW program a few weeks ago. I am super excited about this prospect, however I am still waiting to hear from 7 other schools. Problem is - they want my admission decision this Wednesday, the 15th. I heard it is very iffy to ask for an extension on your decision because while the school is not free to take away your acceptance, they are free to take away funding. And I can't have that happen.

I doubt I will find out enough by Wednesday from other schools to decide either way, so I was planning on going ahead and accepting my admission, with plans to potentially rescind it later (but perhaps not, too!).

My question is - is this an unwise thing to do? How does one go about rescinding an enrollment, anyway? Any experience with this, advice, etc. is very welcome. I am kind of freaking out right now.

Note: I am cross-posting this from the "Decisions, Decisions" forum. Hope that is okay. I know ya'll on the trusty Social Work forum are always helpful, too!

For a PhD program, it'd be heavily frowned upon and could earn you some enemies. For a Masters program, especially a large one like SSA, while it's not ideal, no one's really going to hold it against you. You just have to be okay with losing your deposit. For what it's worth, I got a response extension because I was going to visit the school after the decision was due, and admissions was fine about it.

I'm doing the same thing with Maryland. Their deposit and field application was due three weeks from the date I was accepted (so by this Tuesday), and I haven't heard back from any other school. I will lose the deposit, obviously, if I decide on another program, but I'm also waiting on financial aid information from all schools before I make a decision, since the $300 deposit isn't anything compared to thousands of dollars of potential scholarship money.

There is something called "“Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees, and Assistants".

If you regret, you should inform the university and get its permission I guess. In most situations they will let you go to another university.

However, they do have the right to ask the other university to reject you.(But I don't think it will go that far.)

I know someone who accepted the scholarships of Upenn and in April turned to UMich for a better offer. Nothing bad happened.