What to wear for visit to Midwest school?

txelizabeth

I'm planning to visit Illinois next month to check out UIUC, but I've only lived in Texas and Arizona so I have no idea what to wear. Any suggestions? Here in AZ, I wore a tank, shorts, and flip-flops yesterday, so I'll be really out of my element. I've already been accepted, so I don't need to dress up or anything. I appreciate any advice or ideas you have. Thanks!

I am also visiting UIUC next month (coming from South Texas), and had the same questin. I actually bought a jacket yesterday for the visit.

What dates will you be visiting txelizabeth? I should be there March 8-13.

It's gonna be super cold. Check accuweather to gain a sense of what I mean. Layers will help a lottt. Chicago does not mess around.. Google "chicago lake effect" Even late march, while there may be no more snow, everything may still be frozen bc of the windchill...

I went to loyola Chicago for my MA and I'm from Cali. If I was going back for a visit, i would be sure to pack my wool pea coat, a full suit, nice blouse, leather gloves, fleece beanie, high quality/dense scarf, and (depending on conditions) leather or snow/slush boots.

I hope this helps! And good luck with your vist! I loved Chicago.

Edited by put a bird on it

Bring a coat and possibly boots. Snow is not uncommon in Illinois during March. If you're just bringing a jacket you may end up freezing your tail off. And based off the colleges you have listed (aside from UT Austin), a coat would be a very good investment.

UIUC is not near Chicago, so you won't have the lake effect issue, but it can still get really cold! I'm living about 60 miles away from Urbana-Champaign for undergrad. This winter has been really strange for us, with lots of ups and downs, but if you're coming from Arizona, you're going to think it's very cold regardless of the weather. :) At the very least, you'll need a reasonably warm coat and gloves. I would also recommend a sweater, scarf, and boots if you have them. You don't have to look ridiculous or anything, but try to wear some layers so you won't be miserable when you're outside! The campus is pretty large. If you're going to different buildings, you may be doing a lot of walking.

Thanks for the help. And I'm not sure when I'm visiting just yet, to the person who asked.

So, if I have a pair of leather boots that I've sprayed 2 coats of weatherproofing stuff on, will that be okay for walking through snowy/rainy weather? Hmm, and I don't really have a coat, just a variety of light and medium-ish thickness jackets and sweaters and a hoodie. Will layering a few of those over a long sleeve shirt help? I only even have two thin long sleeve tops.

I did my undergrad in Minnesota, and while Illinois will not be AS cold (most likely), you will probably not be warm enough with just jackets and hoodies over long sleeves. Additionally, there could be snow still in March (hard to predict). You are probably going to need to buy a warm coat. The ideal is something like this: coat, scarf, hat, on top of a sweater, on top of a long-sleeved top, with boots that have traction enough that if there is ice you are not going to wind up on your butt. Some of this may wind up being unnecessary, but then you are prepared for all temperatures. The weather in the midwest can be unpredictable. You could show up and it would feel like spring, or it could well still be below freezing, or it might be fine during the day but absolutely unbearable at night. Also, for the long term, I grew up in the south, and I can assure you that you DO get used to the weather. By the end of undergrad I actually rather liked having real winters.

I did my undergrad in Minnesota, and while Illinois will not be AS cold (most likely), you will probably not be warm enough with just jackets and hoodies over long sleeves. Additionally, there could be snow still in March (hard to predict). You are probably going to need to buy a warm coat. The ideal is something like this: coat, scarf, hat, on top of a sweater, on top of a long-sleeved top, with boots that have traction enough that if

there is ice you are not going to wind up on your butt. Some of this may wind up being unnecessary, but then you are prepared for all temperatures. The weather in the midwest can be unpredictable. You could show up and it would feel like spring, or it could well still be below freezing, or it might be fine during the day but absolutely unbearable at night. Also, for the long term, I grew up in the south, and I can assure you that you DO get used to the weather. By the end of undergrad I actually rather liked having real winters.

This advice is right on. Layers, warm gloves, hat, scarf, and toasty boots. You WILL need a warm coat. Also, I would suggest that the items you purchase are for utility and not fashion. Nice looking thin gloves or scarves are not helpful at all. You will want to buy a scarf that is warm enough to use to cover your face if you end up walking around for a long time.

Have a great time while you are here!