Profiles and Results, SOPs, and Advice (Fall 2012)

RWBG

I think for a lot of schools, the posted word count is not a hard ceiling. I contacted one school about the limit, and they indicated it was more of a general guideline. In any case, I went significantly over the 500 word limit and was accepted.

Damn. I was advised against going over it by too much by my professors. Wish I had ignored their advice. Like I keep saying lately, "Next time."

I think for a lot of schools, the posted word count is not a hard ceiling. I contacted one school about the limit, and they indicated it was more of a general guideline. In any case, I went significantly over the 500 word limit and was accepted.

I didn't listen to the limit. I know Georgetown's was 500 and I know I doubled it.

I didn't listen to the limit. I know Georgetown's was 500 and I know I doubled it.

Again, wish I would have disregarded the advice given to me. If only I had joined GradCafe sooner and asked all of these questions BEFORE making mistakes. =P

I think this chain is great. In my opinion, the PhD admissions competition is far too heavily skewed towards those with prior knowledge of the "inside baseball" aspects of academia. I don't believe that inside knowledge is necessarily correlated with other attributes that would make one a promising scholar.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad Institution: large public state school

Major(s)/Minor(s): International Affairs

Undergrad GPA: 3.98

Type of Grad: International Policy MA, top 5 University

Grad GPA: 3.95

GRE: 168V 169Q 5.5AW

Any Special Courses: Standard MA courses in methods and IR

Letters of Recommendation: Undergrad mentor (Honors Program Director), well known senior professor from MA program, tenured professor from MA program

Research Experience: A few RAships

Teaching Experience: 2 TAships in undergrad and MA program

Work experience: 2 years in USG

Subfield/Research Interests: IR, conflict/security

RESULTS:

Acceptances($$ or no $$): UCSD, Duke, Princeton, Georgetown, George Washington (all $$)

Rejections: Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Berkeley

Going to: undecided

My advice: Take the time to research what schools expect in an SOP, particularly in regards to describing a specific program of research you could undertake. In my opinion, this is almost always a farce - if your interests and research plans don't evolve significantly during grad school, you're probably not getting much benefit out of a grad program - but it's necessary nonetheless, and you won't be expected to stick to what you write. The one significant change I would make if I could go back would be to be more specific in this area, rather than listing my general research interests and the types of research questions I want to pursue. I'm in the camp that thinks "fit" is relatively overrated as an admissions component, partly for the evolution in interests described above and partly because I think top programs simply want to target the most promising scholars rather than students whose specific micro-interests align with existing professors. I do acknolwedge there is a minimum "fit" requirement, but I suspect it's lower than is commonly claimed in this forum. Fit is probably more important if you are not among the strongest applicants.

My SOP:

I want to study at University X’s Department of Political Science to prepare for a career as a political science professor at a research university. If admitted, I plan to pursue International Relations my primary sub-field and focus specifically on the strategic logic that drives state behavior in conflict situations. As someone who has been a researcher and practitioner of international security politics, my professional and academic background provides an excellent foundation for further growth at University X and future success as a political scientist.

My academic interest in international security started as an undergraduate, when I began learning the basic tools of political science. Like other students, my initial conception of political science “research” was more akin to basic policy advocacy: selectively piecing together various sources in support of a predetermined argument. As my coursework progressed, I employed increasingly advanced methods in course papers and independent research projects. As a junior, I [description of research and data collection method], identified key patterns, and received an undergraduate research award for my paper on XXXXXX. After college I entered a graduate program to expand my quantitative skills and gain access to a wider range of scholarship. For my graduate program’s capstone research project, I [lengthy description of research method, supporting theory, hypothesis, and conclusions]. University X’s extensive methodological expertise and commitment to interdisciplinary research make it an ideal place to further hone my research skills.

In addition to my academic background, I’ve gained work experience over the last two years – including in the [uSG office relevant to my research interests] – that has prepared me for University X’s doctoral program in two ways. First, having been a direct practitioner of international relations, I will be able to ground many subjects I plan to study in personal experience. Covering XXXXX issues at the [uSG office], I observe [several examples of how my work experience is related to core IR scholarly debates]. My work provides a unique vantage point for evaluating theories I hope to further examine at University X – not only major international relations paradigms of state behavior, but also theoretical frameworks related to XXXXX and XXXXX. By understanding how international politics functions in practice, I can give concrete meaning to abstract theories, generate interesting research ideas, and dismiss naïve assumptions about the foreign policy process. These skills will make me a more effective researcher and scholar.

Second, my work experience has underscored the difference between policy work and political science as an academic discipline. In the U.S. government, foreign policy is often dominated by external constraints – namely, the need to react quickly to international crises and the challenge of coordinating a complex interagency process. Deep reflection and long-term thinking are rare luxuries. As a result, the practice of foreign policy is often completely bereft of fundamental elements of political science scholarship: consciously identifying gaps in current knowledge, searching across disciplines for relevant analytical frameworks, developing new models and hypotheses, and submitting them to empirical scrutiny. After recognizing these core differences, I realized that my interests and abilities are best suited to an academic career in political science.

If admitted to University X, I plan to build on my previous experience by concentrating in IR, with Methodology as a second field. In broad terms, I plan to investigate the strategic logic that drives the behavior of states and other actors in conflict situations. I also want to examine how that logic can be altered by the introduction of third parties and by variation in the institutional environment. Political scientists have already made important advances in this area of inquiry. Scholars have extensively studied the strategic calculus that can lead states to war, for example; they have also examined variables that influence that calculus, like the structure of a state’s political system or the global balance of power. However, scholars have paid comparatively less attention to [general area of research]. For example, I have long been interested in [specific area of research]. [List of research questions I would like to examine].

These questions deserve closer scrutiny. Scholars like XXXXXX and XXXXXX have investigated the [scholarly contributions to specific research area], and XXXXX has proposed models of [related research]. However, few lines of research [proposed focus of my research]. I plan to contribute to this body of work using the research, modeling, and data analysis skills I hope to learn at University X.

Considering these goals, University X is an ideal fit for my research agenda and educational objectives. The Department of Political Science houses world-class political scientists in the field of international conflict and security, including XXXXX, XXXXX, and XXXXX. XXXX in particular has recently conducted interesting research on [link to my proposed area of research]. I would hope to study under and receive guidance from each of these scholars during my time at University X. Since I want to leverage my time in graduate school to learn the broadest possible range of methodological tools, I also appreciate University X’s expertise in formal and quantitative methods. Within the Department, XXXXX has significant experience applying [relevant methodology] to political science problems, and XXXXX has used [other methodology] to examine rational explanations of conflict. More broadly, the [relevant course sequences and certifications at University X] are ideal resources to gain experience and expertise in quantitative research methods.

Beyond these factors, I am attracted to the Department’s emphasis on student-faculty collaboration, the flexibility to take courses in a range of disciplines, and the ability to attend and participate in the [research colloquium program]. I also hope to leverage University X’s research institutes and consortiums, like the XXXXX, to gain exposure to a broad range of fields and research projects. For all of these reasons, University X is at the top of my list for graduate study. I believe my experience and academic preparation have prepared me well for the Ph.D. program, and I would value the opportunity to study at the Department of Political Science.

If anyone has an example of a POS that had a length requirement (such as Georgetown's 500 word limit or Washington Seattle's 350-500 word limit), could you please post is as a sample? Several of my programs required such short statements, and I found it very difficult to utilize such little space wisely. I think I ended up cutting out a lot of useful information and fear that it's the reason I probably seem like I lack any sort of focus on what I want to do in grad school. The samples posted so far are all so very long.

I actually did adhere to the 500 word limit for the one school that requested it, and I got in, so it can be done. Mine looked like this:

I wish to pursue an academic career researching public opinion and mass political behavior in American Politics. My current research interests include identifying which characteristics lead individuals to behave in ways that better correspond to elite behavior. I have been able to do research in this area in the context of a senior thesis under the direction of Professor X. In this paper, I show that issue public membership has become a strong and statistically significant predictor of ideological extremity, which indicates that members of issue publics have better mirrored elite trends in ideological polarization than the rest of the mass public.

I am also interested in how interactions between elites and the electorate have compounded polarization over time. I recently explored this interest in a paper for a course on the American Congress, in which I found that while mean ideological position of the electorate is predictive of a Senator’s ideological position on the DW-Nominate scale, electoral polarization also has a positive and statistically significant effect on the extremity on the Senator’s DW-Nominate score.

In addition to developing my research interests, my undergraduate education has afforded me the opportunity to acquire skills and experience which will assist in my pursuit of graduate study. For instance, my thesis has been a useful exercise in framing a research question, independently seeking out and reading the relevant existing literature, formulating hypotheses, and testing these hypotheses using quantitative analysis. I am also currently working as a research assistant for Professors X and X. This project has primarily fostered content analysis skills, but upcoming assignments will consist of collaborating with other research assistants on an essay and annotated bibliography. Finally, several courses I have taken, such as Applied Quantitative Methods, have allowed me to acquire skills in quantitative analysis and become comfortable using Stata software.

I would like to attend University X to obtain my Ph.D. for several reasons. Perhaps most importantly, I feel my research interests fit well with those of a number of faculty members. Specifically, I believe I would benefit from the tutelage of both Dr. X and Dr. X, given their extensive work on public opinion. The presence of these faculty members, in addition to others, makes me confident that I could build a dissertation committee to help me become a well-rounded scholar on the study of public opinion and mass behavior. Furthermore, I feel the department’s emphasis on developing teaching as well as research skills will help me become a professor who succeeds both in research and in the classroom.

After completion of the Ph.D., I intend to pursue a career in academia. I aim to be productive in my graduate work in order to obtain a tenure-track position at a highly regarded research university, which will provide me with the opportunity to teach some of the nation’s top students as well as engage in a research agenda with access to the resources necessary for that work.

I actually did adhere to the 500 word limit for the one school that requested it, and I got in, so it can be done. Mine looked like this:

Thank you! You did a wonderful job of articulating your interests and purpose for graduate study so concisely. Much better than the vague nonsense I put together. Congratulations on all of your acceptances!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad Institution: Academy
Major(s)/Minor(s): Nuclear Engineering
Undergrad GPA: 3.17
Type of Grad: Master in Public Policy

GRE: 157V 157Q  5AW
Any Special Courses: the full MA sequence in micro & macro, full phd sequence in Econometrics + (pol.econ, voting behavior, pol psychology graduate seminars)
Letters of Recommendation: All very good - focused on some major accomplishments, but primarily on leadership. I sent my SOP to each recommender, had a phone conversation with each of them describing my SOP and what I would like them to comunicate - I took the advice of the Harvard admission blog here. Each SOP was different, but each communicated a similiar message that was a reflection of my accomplishments (verifying them via LOR) and then a very large word about my demonstrated leadership abilities and then statements about my potential.
Research Experience: none
Teaching Experience: None
Other: Military, deployments, leadership etc.

RESULTS:
Acceptances: Harvard, HKS MPP , Georgetown SSP, George Washington SSP, Naval Post Graduate School Counter Terrorism, UGA MPA
Waitlists: None
Rejections: Yale, Berkeley
Pending: None

Going to: Harvard

Advice: Experience counts more than scores - my GPA was low, my GRE was mediocre and my undergrad was unrelated. Spend months on your SOP - write, rewrite and review. Have mentors/professors/peers read your SOP. Have a plan - what are you saying in your SOP overtly and what are you communicating covertly. What feeling do you want the admission committee to have once they read your SOP - you need to connect with someone on the admissions committee/board. Do you research - most schools post on their websites who is on their committee - find their biographies, identify who will most likely emphathize with your story and write accordingly.

I told a little of my childhood story (2-3 sentences), spent a paragraph on each of my major work/adult experiences, one paragraph one what the school will do for me and what I can give to the school in terms of expereince and increasing efficacy of classroom discussion then one pargraph on the future - clearly define where you will go.

In my research, Harvard is an idealistic community - at the new admit day they talked this same language - I saw this coming and threaded this theme into my SOP for harvard specifically. I think this made a difference. Determine the particular schools vernacular and speak that language in the SOP.

I was shocked by harvards acceptance, but once I went to the new admit day I realized why they accepted me - diverse/unique experience. They want people who will make their classroom experience more vibrant, this why unique and vast experience is key in my opinion - highlight this in the SOP.

Let me know if you have questions - I would be glad to help.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Let's bump this thread once again and encourage those that got in and beginning their studies in their respective schools to share their SOPs and profiles with the applicants of this season. Also - is there a way to pin this thread? I am not very forum-savvy so if anyone can do it please go ahead. This is one of the most useful threads ever created. 

• 3 weeks later...

Let's bump this thread once again and encourage those that got in and beginning their studies in their respective schools to share their SOPs and profiles with the applicants of this season. Also - is there a way to pin this thread? I am not very forum-savvy so if anyone can do it please go ahead. This is one of the most useful threads ever created. 

I'd agree that this seems like a natural one to pin. That's up to the moderators though!

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of posts here from the 2011-12 season, but none from the 2012-13 season. So, those of you who started their PhDs in Fall 2013:

First, congrats again. I hope everything is going great for you. 

Second, if you see this post, please consider sharing your profile, SOP, and advice with the rest of us who are still struggling with that agonizing process you just went through last year. You can't believe how helpful these are for the current applicants. I know that I read every single sentence of every SOP posted here 1203918209 times before writing my own. The deadlines are approaching quickly too, so again, please consider contributing.

There are a lot of posts here from the 2011-12 season, but none from the 2012-13 season. So, those of you who started their PhDs in Fall 2013:

First, congrats again. I hope everything is going great for you. 

Second, if you see this post, please consider sharing your profile, SOP, and advice with the rest of us who are still struggling with that agonizing process you just went through last year. You can't believe how helpful these are for the current applicants. I know that I read every single sentence of every SOP posted here 1203918209 times before writing my own. The deadlines are approaching quickly too, so again, please consider contributing.

Not as helpful as the 2011-12 season.