Contact multiple POIs, same department??

ILuvPsych2013

Hi everyone,

I am going to be sending out applications this fall (2012) for fall 2013 admission to an I/O psychology Ph.D program. As such, I am starting to whittle down my school choices, identify POIs, etc.

At many of my top school choices, there is more than one person that I am interested in working with. Some fit exactly with the research I have done as an undergrad while some are doing work in areas that I am very interested in for future research. I know it is suggested to email your POIs before summer to see if they are accepting graduate students for the current cycle so...

My question is this: Is it okay to email more than one POI in the same department? Or should I be focusing on just one? Wondering if anyone out there has ran into the same thing. Thoughts??

I think if there is more than one POI who you're really interested in it's ok to contact them both. Just make sure you let them know which other POI you've contacted. I did the same thing and they talked to each other and arranged for me to come up and talk with them on a day when they were both free

Hi everyone, I am going to be sending out applications this fall (2012) for fall 2013 admission to an I/O psychology Ph.D program. As such, I am starting to whittle down my school choices, identify POIs, etc. At many of my top school choices, there is more than one person that I am interested in working with. Some fit exactly with the research I have done as an undergrad while some are doing work in areas that I am very interested in for future research. I know it is suggested to email your POIs before summer to see if they are accepting graduate students for the current cycle so... My question is this: Is it okay to email more than one POI in the same department? Or should I be focusing on just one? Wondering if anyone out there has ran into the same thing. Thoughts??
I think it's okay, as long as you're transparent about it. There's nothing worse than meeting with two separate people, and them finding out without you having told them (b/c let's face it, people talk and will likely compare notes... e.g., "Oh, s/he met with YOU too? I didn't know that..."). In my own case, I actually met (via skype) with three different potentials at the university I eventually ended up at, and I made sure that each knew I was meeting with the others. Not to try to stir things up, but to genuinely try to figure out where my best research match was (not just with the person, but with their area of expertise). In one case, one of the potentials actually said to me something like, "you should also meet with so-and-so, since their work is really aligned with your career goals." It was a very good experience. Edited by Andsowego

• 3 weeks later...