Post-Acceptance Stress & Misc. Banter

Had a good paper the other day where a student was using their knowledge OF Thoreau's Walden as familiarity WITH it. Sorry, there is no character named Walden and it is not a novel.

Can't say I blame them for trying. It was a good paper otherwise.

I thought Foucault must be a Chinese Philosopher first time I heard somebody pronounce it here in the US.

I also teach Freshman composition. I could be here all night talking about hilarious confusions and misspellings.

Edited by ImWantHazPhD

Meanwhile, I just couldn't figure out what was so wrong with the 'Youth-in-Asia'.

Meeeee neither!

I vividly remember a high school English teacher giving an actual lesson on how to pronounce 'Goethe.' She once badly embarrassed herself in a university lecture...

Anyone else waiting for that last implicit rejection to become explicit? I'm 100% sure I didn't get into my last program, but until the letter comes, I just can't seem to let it go...

Me! I'm also 100% sure I'm rejected, and also 100% sure I wouldn't choose the last school over the ones that have accepted me, but I still want a firm conclusion!

Anyone else waiting for that last implicit rejection to become explicit? I'm 100% sure I didn't get into my last program, but until the letter comes, I just can't seem to let it go...

Same! Apparently my last school plans to notify March 23rd....that's right, March 23rd! We'll see if I'm still sane come then...

Yep! Waiting on the Harvard rejection...

That's the one I'm waiting on too! Harvard was my dream school. I know I'd be insane to complain about how fortunate I am to be going to a wonderful program, but I just want to be able to close the book on that dream and start getting excited about where I'll be next year!

Same! Apparently my last school plans to notify March 23rd....that's right, March 23rd! We'll see if I'm still sane come then...

That's unreasonably late. Won't many/most applicants have decided by then? Wow.

I also teach Freshman composition. I could be here all night talking about hilarious confusions and misspellings.

Is it wrong that student confusions and misspellings are among my main motivations to teach? Not one that'll be making it into future SOPs, mind, but -- whenever I read something (everything) over at Shit My Students Write, my envy is palpable. It's like watching accidental stand-up comedy.

Do schools tend to courier out official acceptances after sending already quite official looking acceptance packets via email? I just received a final delivery notice from UPS (wonder what happened to the previous notices?) which I can only assume is grad school related, since I've never received a UPS package before. Strange considering I am only waiting on news from one program, and I assume that Harvard doesn't send their rejections via courier!

Edit: Never mind! I just deciphered the near illegible handwriting in the "from" section of the notice: Amazon. :) They usually ship through regular mail. Strange!

Edited by Aubergine

This may be an odd place for this question, but it sounds like the post-acceptance stress party is here. So. I've brought a question for this party (yay?).

Is a 20-hour TAship the first year of PhD work "too much"? Is it possible to balance teaching 2 courses and taking 2-3 courses each semester? For some context, I've been an adjunct for 2 years (got my MA a few years ago), and taught mostly freshman comp. So I'm not entirely uncomfortable teaching - I'm just concerned whether this will leave the kind of time/energy I'd like to devote to my year of coursework.

Thoughts? The money is super tempting... but the time for conferences, presenting, research, etc. is also valuable to me, particularly my first year when I'll still be establishing myself. Advice of any sort is appreciated. And sorry if I'm a Debbie Downer in the party thread. :(

Long time no see, gradcafe. Been too busy with all the post-acceptance recruiting and preparing for visits.

I've officially accepted a program, and now I feel all funny. Perhaps because it was precipitated by my being unable to visit another program, and my sudden self-realization that I definitely know where I want to go and that it's time to start a new chapter of my life.

This may be an odd place for this question, but it sounds like the post-acceptance stress party is here. So. I've brought a question for this party (yay?).

Is a 20-hour TAship the first year of PhD work "too much"? Is it possible to balance teaching 2 courses and taking 2-3 courses each semester? For some context, I've been an adjunct for 2 years (got my MA a few years ago), and taught mostly freshman comp. So I'm not entirely uncomfortable teaching - I'm just concerned whether this will leave the kind of time/energy I'd like to devote to my year of coursework.

Thoughts? The money is super tempting... but the time for conferences, presenting, research, etc. is also valuable to me, particularly my first year when I'll still be establishing myself. Advice of any sort is appreciated. And sorry if I'm a Debbie Downer in the party thread. :(

I feel the same way. I'm expected to take 3 courses my first two semesters while TAing a section of a large comp class. My 2nd year, I teach 2 classes while taking 2. As someone who has never taught before, I am a little terrified. It looks like I'll only get a one-week orientation before I'm thrown to the wolves.

I feel the same way. I'm expected to take 3 courses my first two semesters while TAing a section of a large comp class. My 2nd year, I teach 2 classes while taking 2. As someone who has never taught before, I am a little terrified. It looks like I'll only get a one-week orientation before I'm thrown to the wolves.

Yikes, that seems quick. And harsh. But, the week-long orientation should be helpful. (I'd get something resembling weekly workshops.) At least for me, the actual teaching of courses is the easy part; the grading, dealing with student concerns, and "after hours" stuff is the time drain.

Glad I'm not alone, since I feel like I'm griping over nothing. Obviously, I realize this is what we're getting into as a profession and an integral aspect of the PhD experience. But part of me says geeze, guys, can I have just one year to nerd out and be more of a full-time student than part-time teacher? I'll just keep dreaming.

I've never taught before either, so I am a little nervous. I've narrowed it down to three schools-- two with a 1-1 load and one with a 2-2. However, the primary reason I'm getting a PhD is to teach, so I'm pretty excited.

I wouldn't put it past them. ;)

:lol:

Just got the rejection, via regular mail. It actually made me strangely happy, because now I can commit unequivocally to the school that was my top choice anyway.

And on that note.... Brown course listings for next year just came out, and it feels like Christmas morning!