Heinz FAQ 2012 (link)

Lots of the public policy and administration schools have very high acceptance rates coupled with low yields.

I couldn't agree more. You know, in China, each year there are hundreds of undergraduates, most of whom have pratically no working experiences. But they got admitted by HKS,SIPA,Heinz, CIPA,Sais.... and so on. I don't know how they are gonna find a job after graduation.

I couldn't agree more. You know, in China, each year there are hundreds of undergraduates, most of whom have pratically no working experiences. But they got admitted by HKS,SIPA,Heinz, CIPA,Sais.... and so on. I don't know how they are gonna find a job after graduation.

Their difficulty in finding a job is also likely compounded by the fact that a lot of Chinese students seeking a U.S. education get in through admission coaches, professionally written SOPs, and flat-out falsifying letters of recommendation, transcripts, etc. So on paper they have all these skills and experiences that should get them a job, but not in reality.

And before anyone tries to accuse me of being prejudiced, please note:

1) there is a lot of data to support this

2) I currently work in a Chinese school, and see this behavior every day.

A research report in 2010 by Zinch China, an online social networking and research business that matches Chinese students with colleges and scholarships, reveals pervasive cheating on US college apps in China, driven in part by hyper-competitive parents and aggressive agents. 90% of recommendation letters are fake; 70% of essays are not written by the applicant; and 50% of high school transcripts are falsified. Chinese applicants typically cheat in five major categories: recommendation letters, essays, high school transcripts, financial aid applications, and awards.
Edited by MYRNIST

Have people started hearing back from Heinz? I applied to the MSPPM (3-semester track), but nothing yet ...

My application is complete, but I've not heard anything back either. MBA/MSPPM here, already in on the MBA side so that lowers the stress a lot! The survey page seems to indicate we should hear back the first week of March. Good luck to you!

I applied to the MSPPM 2-year Pittsburgh track and I haven't heard back. A financial aid email did say that decision letters will be received on or before March 15th, so I figured they were sending them out in March.

On another note, I was wondering if anyone who applied to Heinz MSPPM made the optional video?

I applied to Heinz MSPPM Pittburg 2-year FT track. I haven't heard anything back yet either. My status page still says Incomplete but I know they have received all the required components--I think they just haven't gotten to reviewing it yet. Also, my 3rd LOR didn't arrive until 2/4, so I guess it wasn't a complete application until then.

Did anyone else have LORs that arrived more than 1-2 weeks after the application deadline? Does that make a big difference for admission decisions?

I did not do the optional video, but would be curious how many other Heinz applicants did.

Re the video, that was confusing. There are multiple "Admissions" pages on the website. Since I'm applying to the MSPPM 2-year degree, I used this as my guide: http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/school-of-public-policy-management/public-policy-management-msppm/admissions/application-process/index.aspx

No mention of a video essay.

But on the general admission page for the school (home/admissions"), there's a paragraph about the "optional but highly recommended" video essay.

The MISM "Application Process" page includes language about the video essay.

Since the information on the MSPPM Application Process page provided the application information most applicable to me, I used that information, and didn't do a video. But it's a little scary nonetheless.

Nice, congratulations! :) Were you notified by email? I am still waiting .... it is agony!

Thanks! And yes, I received an email to check the online application, and the decision link was at the very bottom of the page. The wait seems especially bad with Heinz because they just keep trickling admits out. Hang in there, and good luck!

I just got my Heinz admit!!!! (Today was my Pittsburgh day - I got into Pitt this morning) I got 12000 which they say is renewable for my remaining semesters contingent upon my continued high academic performance. Does anybody know what high academic performance constitute?

Heinz is my dream school but I can only afford it if i get that 12000 per semester.

The long-awaited email to check my application status finally arrived - accepted to the 3-semester track!

Does anyone know if Heinz offers travel grants for the admitted student weekend?

Edited by avocado9