wheatGrass

Ok, I'm finished my MA and waiting on PhD notifications, which likely won't come until April. So to fill the void, make some money, etc... I've taken a couple of research assistant positions, one of which is outside of my field. I agreed to do some transcribing because I really need the cash. The first problem is the supervisor said: "I have about 20 hours of interviews for you... so that should take you about 30 or 35 hours...." Ummm.... no. I thought that 4 hours to 1 hour was a pretty standard rate, but now I feel bad because it's probably totally screwed up his budget, both cash and time-wise.

The problem is, I actually kind of suck at transcribing. I haven't done much of it except for a research methods assignment. I am slower than 4 to 1, that's for sure.

Does anyone have any tips on improving transcription skills? I asked for a foot pedal, and he said ok, but he has to buy one, so again, I feel bad about incurring another unforeseen expense. So far I've been using VLC with hot keys. In your experience, will the foot pedal make all the difference?

It doesn't help that he constantly talks over the people he's interviewing, and mutters a lot. Also he did a bunch of the interviews in what sound like mall food courts. Come on!

On a positive note, it is hilarious to hear him sound completely wasted when I slow down the tape.

Edited by wheatGrass

As long as I can slow something down, then I can usually transcribe stuff pretty efficiently. I don't mean slowing it way down, but just enough so if someone is talking fast I don't need to rewind. I don't transcribe a lot of stuff though, just interviews for class projects. My thesis won't involve anything like that.

I've done a TON of transcription work (mostly one-on-one interviews... I try to avoid transcribing other people's focus groups due to needing to retain my sanity).

Tips:

First, get a foot pedal. It does speed things up when you are free to only type with your hands (rather than hitting "hot" keys which are irritating). Second, use an audio program for the files. I use "ExpressScribe" which can be downloaded for free, is foot-pedal friendly, and has all the features of being able to change volume and speed, etc. (http://www.nch.com.a...ribe/index.html) Third, the estimate that the person gave you for time IS unreasonable. Here's my breakdown for transcribing a one-on-one interview that is of the highest quality (e.g., no accents, no interruptions, and no background noise):

10 minutes of "real" time = 45 minutes to transcribe accurately (and I'm "fast").

So, a 60 minute interview will take at least 4.5 hours to transcribe (given the excellent quality I described above). If there's background noise (e.g., food court fiasco!), or interruptions, or unfamiliar/odd speech (for whatever reason - dialect, accent, mumbling, cutting each other off, etc), then your time will get longer and longer and longer. And if there are more actors involved than just one-on-one, you can expect the time to grow even more.

And finally, *always* ask the person you're working for to (1) provide you with an interview script (e.g., their list of questions, or their guide, or whatever they used), and (2) always meet with them first to discuss their notation expectations (e.g., do they want every single um and ah transcribed verbatim? or do they want certain punctuation used for certain speech idioms?).

Honestly, transcription work is a great way to make money, but only if you are VERY patient and detail-oriented, and if the person you're working for is fully aware of the time it takes to do a transcription properly.

eta: I know you didn't mention the hourly rate you're getting, but I hope they're paying you well! :D

Edited by Andsowego

This is all very helpful. I downloaded ExpressScribe and it helps immensely. Does anyone know if you can change the settings for the "play with pause" option?

For clarification, it was the prof who is doing the study who suggested the unreasonable rate. I guess I was kind of surprised that he didn't have a good sense of how long transcribing takes at this late-ish point in his career in social science research. Maybe he's always done quantitative research in the past.

Good idea about clarifying the expectations about ums and ahs. I have assumed that when he defined transcribing for me (uh, thanks) as "a very detailed written record of the sound file," he meant to include the ums and ahs, but assumptions are dangerous.

Again, thanks for the tips.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. This has been very useful. I have actually gotten quite fast at this, and find that it's actually not that bad... somehow, I can let my mind wander while listening to someone go on about whatever it is they're talking about and manage to type it out, too.

BUT, if I ever end up transcribing for someone else again, I will never do it at an hourly rate--I'd go by the audio minute or better yet, the page. My supervisor is constantly doing calculations to make sure I'm not ripping him off (right in front of me--kind of rude, I think).