Which Gov't Affairs Areas Do You Plan to Study in G School?

Cornell07

I voted "International - Urban\Rural, Social, Health, Development Studies" and "International - Economics, Business, Trade". I'm primarily interested in international economic development, but I'm into international trade policy too. Once I'm in school that could all change!

I voted "International - Urban\Rural, Social, Health, Development Studies" and "International - Economics, Business, Trade". I'm primarily interested in international economic development, but I'm into international trade policy too. Once I'm in school that could all change!

Hi shastika, are you interested in microfinance at all? Although my main focus isn't international development, I find microfinance fascinating (for the record, I don't consider it a panacea and like to think I haven't drunk the Kool-Aid). There's a professor at NYU, Jonathan Morduch, who's done some pretty interesting research in that area. During the admissions process, I read his book The Economics of Microfinance and really enjoyed it.

I voted international development, but could have just as easily voted international-economics.

Policy_applicant - Your question wasn't directed at me, but I'll jump in anyways. Microfinance is one of my primary interests, and I even dedicated a few lines to it in a couple of my statement of purposes. Like you, I don't think microfinance is a panacea, but I do think it can be a very effective development tool, especially when its effects are completely understood and best practices (in context) are established. As it stands, the development community still has A LOT to learn about how to best harness its powers to achieve the best outcomes. When I was an undergraduate I wrote a senior thesis based on some regression analysis I did for a microfinance organization. Basically the data showed that that organization wasn't achieving its aims, its approach to microfinance could be flawed, and it wasn't even targeting its intended clients. This was before Yunus won the Noble Prize. I imagine since then there has been an even greater flood of money into microfinance and results might not be good as they otherwise could be if the practice of microfinance were more supported by a more active research community. Like is often the case in regards to development, one of the big issues is a lack of sufficient and reliable data--especially panel. The Poverty Action Lab has dabbled in microfinance, but I really wish they would do some more comprehensive studies. But anyways, I could definitely see myself involved with microfinance in the future. In fact, right now I am living in Latin America trying to improve upon my Spanish for that very reason.

Ideally, I see myself working on the legislative affairs team at the State Department or as a policy adviser on Capitol Hill focusing on diplomacy and security issues. Thus, International: Politics and International: Conflict Studies.

Also, in the long term, I'd like to continue my research on "practical history" as a minor aspect of my career. (see: "Thinking In Time" by May and Neustadt). Thus, Other: History, Theory.

younglions - That's really cool. I would like to continue to study microfinance programs, even though I don't plan to focus my career on international development. I think the offshoots of microcredit--microsavings and microinsurance--are interesting as well. I'm curious about domestic microfinance programs, although the initial cases seem mixed at best. Still, though, I'm convinced that the general principal--providing credit and banking tools to people who fall outside of the traditional banking system--has currency in more developed countries like the U.S.

I'll be looking to focus on education policy. Anyone else?

Me too! I'm most interested in education, public health (especially stem cell policy and HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention), and human/equal rights (like gay rights, equal pay for women, equal access to health care).

I choose International Development/Economics. My senior thesis covered microfinance and how it affects social capital and whether it improves the macroeconomy. Interesting stuff. I want to continue this research abroad and expand it towards small-midscale entrepreneurial solutions in rural/impoverished areas of the U.S.

I choose International Development/Economics. My senior thesis covered microfinance and how it affects social capital and whether it improves the macroeconomy. Interesting stuff. I want to continue this research abroad and expand it towards small-midscale entrepreneurial solutions in rural/impoverished areas of the U.S.

Hey microfinance senior thesis buddy. What schools did you apply to? Good luck on your decisions!

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting and encouraging to see many people interested in microfinance.

That's going to be my specialization, if I successfully (hopefully) get into any of the schools.

I don't have much knowledge or experience on microfinance, but I want to learn about it since it seems like an approach that could actually reach out to the real poor, in contrast to the large-scale government projects I used to do. But as everyone pointed out, I don't think it

Very interesting and encouraging to see many people interested in microfinance.

That's going to be my specialization, if I successfully (hopefully) get into any of the schools.

I don't have much knowledge or experience on microfinance, but I want to learn about it since it seems like an approach that could actually reach out to the real poor, in contrast to the large-scale government projects I used to do. But as everyone pointed out, I don't think it

• 2 months later...

I plan on concentrating on domestic energy policy and sustainability..although I do want to have the option of bringing my future expertise into international development in those areas.

I voted international development, but could have just as easily voted international-economics.

Policy_applicant - Your question wasn't directed at me, but I'll jump in anyways. Microfinance is one of my primary interests, and I even dedicated a few lines to it in a couple of my statement of purposes. Like you, I don't think microfinance is a panacea, but I do think it can be a very effective development tool, especially when its effects are completely understood and best practices (in context) are established. As it stands, the development community still has A LOT to learn about how to best harness its powers to achieve the best outcomes. When I was an undergraduate I wrote a senior thesis based on some regression analysis I did for a microfinance organization. Basically the data showed that that organization wasn't achieving its aims, its approach to microfinance could be flawed, and it wasn't even targeting its intended clients. This was before Yunus won the Noble Prize. I imagine since then there has been an even greater flood of money into microfinance and results might not be good as they otherwise could be if the practice of microfinance were more supported by a more active research community. Like is often the case in regards to development, one of the big issues is a lack of sufficient and reliable data--especially panel. The Poverty Action Lab has dabbled in microfinance, but I really wish they would do some more comprehensive studies. But anyways, I could definitely see myself involved with microfinance in the future. In fact, right now I am living in Latin America trying to improve upon my Spanish for that very reason.

Younglions - I worked for a microfinance organisation in Latin America and am now, still in Lat Am, doing a related impact evaluation study sponsored by two multilateral organisations. I agree with you entirely that a lot of research in microfinance is still needed. And I would go so far as to say that the current hype around microfinance and commercial investment poses a threat to the objective of microfinance due to the lack of academic knowledge but also inclusive regulation. But when you say "comprehensive" what do you mean exactly? The complexity not only of microfinance, its potential effects (or lack thereof) but poverty itself makes a comprehensive study quite a challenge to say the least. I'd be interested in knowing what areas of microfinance you are interested in in terms of research/academia. I am interested in how to measure social capital in microfinance, but also if and how financial empowerment can lead to a more active civil society and thus democratisation.