U of Chicago

Orin, I'll be the first to admit that UC's MA program is very expensive, but they do offer (or did when I was there) about 15 1/2 tuition scholarships, and there is also a scholarship from the Karla Scherer foundation awarded to promising applicants (limited to females). I know there are a few other need-based ones as well. Anyway, don't give up hope until you know for sure/are aware of the funding options. Good luck!

Good point lyoness. I suppose if it happened it would also be an acceptance to something, which I am no position to complain about. I'm finding that most of the MA programs I've looked into in the past few weeks actually do offer some degree of funding, despite many of them claiming the funding deadline has passed. Good to know the MAPH might have some opportunities for it, as well. We'll see, though -- at this point I'm still succeeding at not getting my hopes up.

Still haven't received a thing for comp. lit! Rejections have already been reported... maybe I should be happy-ish?

Although I'm sort of thinking "wtf" because I just got rejected from Oregon and Minnesota, my non-stretches...

Orin, I also haven't gotten my rejection, although I live quite a bit further from Chicago. In my case, though, I doubt it means I've got an MA offer coming - UChi was probably the worst fit of any of the places I applied. (But then, what do I know? Two of my "perfect fit" schools rejected me...)

Gah! Just tell me already!

what is up with chicago comp lit??

anyone heard about acceptances yet?

Nope, and haven't received a rejection either!

I'm just soooo so tempted to go around and tell everyone I'm waitlisted. Just to make myself feel better.

Although I'm waiting to hear from the MA program.

I know my notification was mailed on March 5 (it arrived yesterday). It seems like they are taking their time. Unfortunately, I can also say that the admitted students day is Friday, so there probably aren't any surprise acceptances going out.

Has anyone else heard back from the MAPH program? I've been accepted without any funding, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go. I've been offered full funding at another university, but I'm finding it hard to turn down U of Chicago. Advice?

Shea, I attended MAPH with funding. Any questions you might have, please feel free to message me. What is your concentration? I can tell you about profs, living in Hyde Park, the advantages and disadvantages of UC, and what your cost will be like.

Septimus and Shea: I've also been offered a spot in the MAPH program, I've been thinking about it a lot, and I think I've come to some good conclusions that might also be helpful for you to think about. I have a fully-funded spot in the PhD program at Santa Cruz, and first or second in line for one at Davis, so I'm having trouble reconciling my dream with the following realities: 1) it's not worth it to pay for this MAPH program when I have two non-terminal programs willing to actually give me tuition and money to live on; 2) it's incredibly more competitive to try to enter PhD programs with a Master's already in hand, or so I hear, and I assume it's moreso if the MA isn't actually in English itself; 3) the website for the program says they will basically never accept you into their own PhD programs from the MAPH program, so if Chicago is my dream, would I really be happy just getting an MA outside of my field from Chicago and then struggling to get into another non-dream school? Are there other options, like doing post-doc fellowships there, etc.?; 4) I would have to work nearly full-time at some unrelated crappy job to fund the MAPH, when I could, less stressfully, make money to live and gain valuable and necessary teaching experience at the same time through a TAship; 5) the MAPH program has over 100 people in it, and I'm not sure, actually I'm totally sure, I don't want to be in a program that large--I want to feel like I have some sort of community; and finally and maybe stupidly but honestly 6) although it is in some ways an honor to offered such a spot, in others it's a huge let-down; I would always feel like an underdog there, because I would obviously take English/Comp. Lit programs through the program, and so have to sit alongside peers who actually got into the program to begin with; I could be, somewhere else, feeling awesome about being one of "the chosen," picked for my actual interests because they are in common with those of specific faculty, instead of feeling awful about being sort of lumped in where my interests and qualifications fit, but only after having gone through the strainer a couple of times.

Phew! I didn't even know I had thought of all those things. Obviously their MAPH is a prestigious program, and for some people it might be just right and awesome and wonderful, and I might feel completely different if I had been giving funding for it; but I think if you know, for sure without any doubts, that you want to be a professor of English/Literature, and/or if you already have debt from undergrad, it's better to go for a funded, non-terminal spot that will give you a better chance of actually achieving the PhD, give you teaching experience, and not force you to shuffle books around at Borders for $9.00/hour, 30+ hours a week.

That being said, let me know what you decide or if you know something to the contrary of this loosely-assembled opinion--I'm interested to know what people choose to do with this amorphous MAPH deal.

Cats, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the MAPH. I've been doing some thinking, too, and a lot of what you've been saying makes sense. It's the perfect school for my interests, modernism and poetics, but--especially in this economy--no funding, 40k tuition, there for only one year, I just can't see myself accepting...now if I had been given funding...

(btw, full-funding for Santa Cruz--congrats on that!)