Birmingham, AL

Guest newbie

Guest newbie

Can anyone comment on this city, particulary on the social life for students, transportation, housing, weather and anything else you are familiar with..

Also, I was under the impression that Birmingham still has problems sprouting between several ethnicities, Id like to know if thats true..THANX

• 5 years later...

I'm bumping this 5 year old topic because I'm moving to Birmingham over the summer to go to UAB. Any advice on where to live, what to do, ect.? What neighborhood in the city are good, and which are sketchy? I'll have a car and parking on campus is pretty cheap, so living outside of the immediate vicinity of campus is a possibility.

Thanks a lot!

You'll probably want to live either on the South Side or in Homewood. You'll have to have a car, because there is little to no public transportation to speak of. I don't think there are really many apartments or houses for rent in ritzy places like Mountain Brook, although there are some in Vestavia and Hoover. You can rent a big house on the South Side for pretty cheap compared to prices in most of the rest of the country.

As for things to do, I'm sure there's a decent sized university community, but since it's in the city, don't expect there to be a whole lot of campus life. Birmingham has sunny weather that's really hot in the summer. There's an ok music scene and a reasonable amount of restaurants but don't expect much of a cultural scene. It's a pretty average city with an average selection of things to do given its size.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've received an acceptance to UAB and am trying to decide if it's a place I would want to live around.

I don't know where to look for housing that I can live at without having a car.

I also was curious about the life around there. I like rock climbing and running and spending time outside but don't really know what the area has to offer for things like that.

Is there anyone out there who can add some information to what people can expect from the area?

I lived in Birmingham for several years (first as an undergrad, and stuck around for a few afterwards). Coming from a much bigger city, it was an adjustment- but I enjoyed my time there. Living without a car is a little tricky (no public transportation to speak of), but doable. There's some affordable lofts within biking distance of UAB (near the financial center). Also lots of cheap houses for rent in Southside, also within biking distance. The Highland Road area also has some charming older apartments near a lot of parks that also works for biking (lots of cute restaurants and more of a "community" feel in that area more so that the other two I mentioned) "Select My Space" is a local company that does a great job at helping people find housing (free to you).

There's a good rec center on UAB's campus, active running and cycling communities (not really my thing, but had friends who were really into it and never seemed to lack for races to run or people to run with). Oak Mountain state park is 10-15 miles south of the city and beautiful- lots to do there.

Select My Spaceturned out to be a great website to look at housing!! Thanks for helping.

Agreed. The majority of my apartment hunting list has come from Select My Space - here's hoping I get something good when I go apartment touring next month!

I lived in Alabama and did my undergrad at UA, Tuscaloosa. I've since moved away, but I have lots of friends who are still in the area.

I'd second recommendations about South Side. My best friend grew up there and still speaks well of it, even though she's now at Mizzou. Be aware, through, that Birmingham has declared bankruptcy and is currently undergoing restructuring. So city facilities are critically understaffed and people are waiting in all-day lines just to get the basics handled.

• 1 year later...

I may go to Brimingham for my PhD program, so I would like to know something about the city.

1. How about the public security there?

2. Does it rain a lot in spring or summer?

3. Would it be very hot in summer? cannot live without air-conditioner?

1. There are safe parts of the city and also very unsafe parts of the city. I would recommend living in the Avondale or Homewood area. 

2. It rains a fair bit but not enough to really alter the living routine. We do get the occasional thunderstorm, tornado, or hurricane though. 

3. It is hot in the summer, yes. I would not recommend living without AC. Sometimes it gets hot enough for heat advisories. 

• 3 weeks later...

Officially moving to Birmingham for my PhD!! super excited, and relieved to have the formal decision off my back. 

But now, where to live? When do leases generally begin there (I'm from an area where leasing is from May-May)? Are there houses available for rent? Public transportation? Biking? Are many places pet friendly? Are most places furnished or unfurnished? 

If anyone can give me some info, it would be awesome!!

Thanks (:

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Ex-Birminghamster here. I finished undergrad at BSC (tiny liberal arts campus up the road), and just wrapped my master's at UAB. In those 6 years, I had qualitatively completely different experiences, and lived in almost every borough. Overall, I loved it and miss it dearly, but it is not for the faint of heart (or those opposed/indifferent to college football and heat). 

Pros: 

- Truly and up and coming community and scene. When I moved there in 2011, it still sat in the ashes of its steel booming past. In just the time of my undergrad, it was quickly becoming a destination for tech talent, entrepreneurs, and massive revitalization efforts downtown (though I have some ambivalence about how well some of those have come off). If you are an artist, graphic designer, or general punk, there's a big scene for you growing in Crestwood, Avondale, Downtown, and Highlands. 

- Breweries and BBQ! I heard once that B'ham has the most BBQ per acre of any area in the US (fact check me if you wish), and that we have an outrageously awesome brewery scene. I really liked Trimtab and Good People, but Avondale, Ghost Train and others are solid and often where people spend entire Saturday afternoons. Oh and Regions Field/Railroad Park (across the street from Good People) is a lovely place to find something to do in the heart of the city with some greenery around you. OH and there are some really cool speakeasy/datenight type bars I fell in love with (and drank my grad school woes away in often) called Collins Bar and the Atomic Lounge. Take my word and check them out. Tell Mike or Phil at Collins that I sent you. 

- Cost-effective to live in some of the trendiest areas. I was a mere barista, so I couldn't afford it, but most of the new or newish developments with chic apartments in the downtown area (close to UAB and most things to do) compare very favorably to big cities elsewhere like Nashville and Atlanta. In my hunts, I honestly just used Zillow or Trulia to find good deals and it worked out well. 

- A few hours to the beach, 2 hours to Atlanta, 2 hours to Nashville. 

Cons: 

- Somewhat subjective here, but man did it feel small at times. BSC was a small school, but even in the greater Birmingham area, I started to settle in and not meet many new people as often as I would've liked. 

- HOLY F@CK transportation. Virtually zero public transit. Seriously the buses seem to run for their own edification. Zyp Bikesharing program is pretty neat and is gaining popularity, but with such a hilly and poorly engineered city scheme, it's also not for the faint of heart. I biked out of necessity for a month while I lived in Highlands (probably the most bikeable area outside downtown proper) and was mostly miserable. You essentially must have a car or be wed to someone with one. 

- Tha Heat. Prepare yourself if you haven't spent any time in the south during the summer... or the "fall" or the "spring" because by late February, some days are already 82...

- I have heard about crime problems, BUT, I never experienced it ever. I worked downtown, and aside from a few homeless wanderers, never felt unsafe walking alone. Just be a smart grad student and you should be ok;)

Either: 

- Bham itself is fairly blue and liberal, but Alabama is heavvvily conservative. A democrat only beat Roy Moore, who broke federal laws trying to put 10 commandments back in school and is accused of sexually assaulting or abusing many young girls, by 1 point in December... That will either inspire you or scare you. Your decision. 

- As I have said, I lived in almost every nook and crany of the 205, so just ask about specifics so I can log off here and stop wasting people's time!

HMU guys!

Edited by ceterisparibus9