Last resort MA

So, I suppose that when one finds out he or she has been rejected to many Ph.D. programs, the idea of getting into a last-minute MA can come to mind... Particularly if that can help you make your application for next year a stronger one. Does anyone know of any last-minute MA that may offer some kind of financial assistance? I am very interested in Comparative Literature and Classical Studies. Please let me know if something comes to mind!

San Francisco State's MA deadlines for both Classics and Comparative Literature are May 1st. I don't think they offer funding, although I seem to remember some folks TA-ing. You can also take one class per semester at Berkeley. PM me if you have questions.

Hi eoyarbidem, the MA at Villanova in PA has a late deadline, though I'm not sure exactly when. They are funded.

Pretty sure Villanova is March 1. I was planning on applying there, if I hadn't been accepted anywhere.

Some MA programs are a bit more flexible on their dates, because they don't get as many applicants. I emailed one school, who said their deadline was January 15, and they said that they would accept applications until May 1. They said they have the deadline because if students know they have until May 1, they won't submit anything until May 1 (lol). So they try to encourage people to submit early.

If you are left with no other options, you can always email some programs and see if they will still consider your application.

Update: I noticed an acceptance for Villanova's Master's in English just went up. The deadline for funded apps is tomorrow, as far as I can tell, so I'm really curious to know if there is a rolling admissions policy. In the past, the program seems to have notified in late March.

If the post was in error, totally cool. If not, awesome! Feel free to PM me if you like, as I'd love to know if there has been some kind of change in how the department evaluates apps. In the wake Ph.D-ejection, a funded M.A. is starting to look like a great port in the storm...

Well, as another poster stated [on a different thread] there is no backup at the grad level: if you applied to PhD programs and didn't get in, then most likely, an MA should have been your first choice rather than a last-minute backup. This is especially true for comp lit programs, which are extremely competitive.

And please remember that it is insulting to those that applied to MA's as first choices that you refer to MA's as backup degrees. In fact, most MA and PhD programs have the same deadlines and a lot of applicants apply to both so that they do not end up in such a predicament.

The only program that I know of is Kent State; they have rolling admissions for English/Comparative Literature.

Well, as another poster stated [on a different thread] there is no backup at the grad level: if you applied to PhD programs and didn't get in, then most likely, an MA should have been your first choice rather than a last-minute backup...And please remember that it is insulting to those that applied to MA's as first choices that you refer to MA's as backup degrees. In fact, most MA and PhD programs have the same deadlines and a lot of applicants apply to both so that they do not end up in such a predicament.

Yikes! I hope I didn't come off as offensive to people applying solely to MA programs. That was not at all my intention. What I neglected to mention was that I had no idea that funded MA programs even existed (as opposed to unfunded ones) until well into the application process. I in no way mean that an MA is an inferior degree. In fact, I should have found more funded MA's to begin with, as I would love the chance to refine my interests further. I guess the phrase "last resort" is really the issue. The fault lies with me for waiting though, not with MA programs being MA programs.

Yikes! I hope I didn't come off as offensive to people applying solely to MA programs. That was not at all my intention. What I neglected to mention was that I had no idea that funded MA programs even existed (as opposed to unfunded ones) until well into the application process. I in no way mean that an MA is an inferior degree. In fact, I should have found more funded MA's to begin with, as I would love the chance to refine my interests further. I guess the phrase "last resort" is really the issue. The fault lies with me for waiting though, not with MA programs being MA programs.

I definitely found the wording of the OP to be offensive: I didn't get into a PhD program, so does anyone know of an MA program that I can apply to at the last minute as a backup? I think that's pretty insulting, although I know that it wasn't meant that way; otherwise, I would have been really snarky.

In fact, I think it's best not to refer to anything [in general, even] as a backup, safety, etc., which is not only insulting but doesn't exist when you get to this level.

While many programs are streamlined and only offer PhD's, others offer an MA and PhD; it is usually the case that, if you apply to the MA program, you plan to go onto the PhD, which is why so many programs ended up streamlining. The only drawback to the MA is getting MA funding and, then, having to (re)apply (once you've received your MA) to PhD programs. Getting into to PhD programs can be difficult if you already have an MA.

Edited by Starlajane

In fact, I think it's best not to refer to anything [in general, even] as a backup, safety, etc., which is not only insulting but doesn't exist when you get to this level.

I think that this might be a little bit too sensitive. For example, I applied to the MA programs I applied to as 'back-ups' because of where they are located, and the fact that my personal preference is to (ideally) attend a direct-entry PhD. I think referring to schools or programs as back-ups reflects personal preference that could be based on a host of different things including location, fit, and funding, all of which have to do with the preferences and experiences of a particular person, and are almost never meant to condemn or belittle those who consider the same programs or schools to be exactly what they want. When I say the MA programs I applied for were my back-ups, I say it because given my situation and my personal preference, they are not my first choice. That is not to say that these programs are not fantastic and amazing and anyone would be lucky to attend them, it is simply saying they were not right for me. If I were interested in staying in Canada (where there are very few direct-entry PhD programs), then they would have been my first choice, but I am not, so they were my backups. I think eoyarbidem and ahembree were coming from the same place, in that for them PhD programs were first choice, and MA programs second. Not that MA programs are terrible and unworthy and only deserving of the lowest rank on everyone's radar and consideration. Many people, and rightly so, find that MA programs are perfect for them because of the particular needs of theirs that are met (honing down research interests, gaining teaching experience, getting a taste of grad life before committing to a PhD, the list goes on), and others simply don't, and that is just fine.

Just trying to lend some perspective :)

Thank you, Myriadways!

Starlajane, I am sorry about the comment if you found it offensive. But, well, I must tell you that this applying process is entirely new to me. I am an international student and I already have an MA in Political Theory. The thing is that during my MA studies I got interested in the the intersection between politics and Literature (I have a BA in Spanish). That is why I applied to Comparative Literature Ph.D. programs. And I did that after consulting with many departments (they told me to go ahead). But now, as it seems, a Comparative Literature MA would be a good option in order to make my application stronger. The US application process is extremely complicated and sometimes Graduate Schools are not that supporting with explanations. No one told me, for example, that my stipend would be taxed. And I found this forum just a week ago.

I did not mean to be offensive. But I also consider my question is completely valid. If not, I would have been edited by the admid, I suppose. And I know some other people have had the same idea. In fact, I got the idea from a thread in this same forum. And that persons was not criticized for that decision. Please don't interprete it as something offensive, which was not the intention of this thread. Rather it is a way to know more about universities that may be offering some help at this moment for people that didn't make it to the Ph.D. this year. Best,

Edited by eoyarbidem

I think that this might be a little bit too sensitive. For example, I applied to the MA programs I applied to as 'back-ups' because of where they are located, and the fact that my personal preference is to (ideally) attend a direct-entry PhD. I think referring to schools or programs as back-ups reflects personal preference that could be based on a host of different things including location, fit, and funding, all of which have to do with the preferences and experiences of a particular person, and are almost never meant to condemn or belittle those who consider the same programs or schools to be exactly what they want. When I say the MA programs I applied for were my back-ups, I say it because given my situation and my personal preference, they are not my first choice. That is not to say that these programs are not fantastic and amazing and anyone would be lucky to attend them, it is simply saying they were not right for me. If I were interested in staying in Canada (where there are very few direct-entry PhD programs), then they would have been my first choice, but I am not, so they were my backups. I think eoyarbidem and ahembree were coming from the same place, in that for them PhD programs were first choice, and MA programs second. Not that MA programs are terrible and unworthy and only deserving of the lowest rank on everyone's radar and consideration. Many people, and rightly so, find that MA programs are perfect for them because of the particular needs of theirs that are met (honing down research interests, gaining teaching experience, getting a taste of grad life before committing to a PhD, the list goes on), and others simply don't, and that is just fine.

Just trying to lend some perspective :)

For me, I always go with, "I didn't apply to a back-up; I want to go to each and every program to which I applied, for different yet similar reasons." And I say this b/c it is true, and also b/c, as I do not like to be considered a back-up candidate for any school (I want to go the one that really wants me rather than the one that kinda wants me), I now extend that same sensitivity and tact towards my prospective programs. I also try to extend that same sensitivity towards others and refrain from name-calling, etc. when I don't agree with someone.

For me, I always go with, "I didn't apply to a back-up; I want to go to each and every program to which I applied, for different yet similar reasons." And I say this b/c it is true, and also b/c, as I do not like to be considered a back-up candidate for any school (I want to go the one that really wants me rather than the one that kinda wants me), I now extend that same sensitivity and tact towards my prospective programs. I also try to extend that same sensitivity towards others and refrain from name-calling, etc. when I don't agree with someone.

I'm afraid I must still hold that personally considering certain schools back-ups for oneself does not in any way display insensitivity or tactlessness toward those schools or programs. It's a preference, that is all. If you go with that statement, then that is great, because, as you said, for you it is true. It may not be the true way of imparting information for other people. Of course no one one wants to be considered a back up candidate, but many are (waitlists...) and still attend those programs happily if accepted, just as people who have backup schools happily attend those if they are not admitted to their top-choice schools, as they would likely not have applied to such 'backups' at all if they did not hold a strong interest in attending. A lot of people have one, ideal, perfect program in mind, and the others they apply to they have researched well and they believe to be good fits for their interests, but nonetheless would thus consider them backups if they were rejected from their top, ideal choice.

As for 'name-calling, etc.', I don't see a single point in my argument where I name-called or was rude, I simply stated my point of view. I do not in any way mean to say that your point of view regarding your preferred way of considering the schools you applied to is incorrect. Instead I meant to, and mean to, address the fact that you made rather totalizing statements about people being insensitive, tactless, and offensive when that was not at all their goal (and I very rarely come to the conclusion that the people on these boards are indeed exhibiting those sentiments, as this is a very open and respectful community).

I in no way mean that an MA is an inferior degree.

Just to subvert the overly-cautious political correctness that is in danger of devouring this thread (and of which the above statement is a prime example), I feel the need to point out that an MA is, quite literally, an inferior degree.

This is not a judgement, or name-calling, or rudeness, or anything of that nature. It is a statement of fact. An M.A. is a less-advanced degree than a PhD, and a more advanced degree than a BA. That's just the nature of degrees. Academia is one of the few bastions left in which hierarchies are so blatantly and gleefully entrenched and enforced (for good or for ill), and if you're pursuing study within the academy at any level you are implicitly buying into and reproducing that hierarchy. Trying to suggest that different titles and degrees are somehow "equal" when they clearly are not demonstrates a concession to blandly inoffensive language at the expense of accuracy.

A degree, regardless of the level, is not in any way a comment on the worth or value of the person holding or not holding it; it is simply an acknowledgement of the completion of a given amount of advanced study (to a greater or lesser degree) in a given area. Therefore, I don't at all consider it "insensitive" or "rude" for the OP to be asking the question he asked, nor do I consider any of the responses posted thus far to be so either. If the OP's original plan was a PhD, and that plan didn't work out, then applying for an MA is the definition of a back-up plan or last resort (though the latter might be a touch hyperbolic ;) ). An MA is very literally a step along the way to a PhD, in the same way that a BA is a step along the path to an MA. This is in no way to suggest that a terminal MA (or a terminal BA, for that matter) is without value, or that those people who are seeking solely a terminal MA or who are getting an MA on the way to an eventual PhD are in any way "inferior". That would be ridiculous. However, it is not ridiculous or rude or insensitive to state that the degree itself is inferior. That's just a fact, not a personal judgement. We all want what we want, and we get it however we can. Why anyone should take umbrage with this is beyond me, and asking posters on the forums to censor themselves to the degree that Starlajane is suggesting seems to cater excessively to the sensitivity of a few at the expense of defeating the purpose of the forum (which, in my view, is to exchange information openly and honestly). The OP shouldn't be asked to apologize that his original goals were more or less ambitious than any other poster's.

Just my $0.02 (obviously), no offense intended :)

Edited by DorindaAfterThyrsis

Hey Dorinda!

How'd you like Duke? Did you get to meet Quilligan? I ask only to see if she is as awesome in person as her work ;) One of the people in my cohort worked with Anne Lake Prescott (I'm a Spenserian and ADORE her) and getting to hear about how she is in person was pretty cool. Basically, I'm a nerd ;) Good luck on your decisions. . and I agree with your evalutation of BA vs. MA vs. Ph.D. I've gotten (or am in process to get) all of those degrees, and the hierarchy reflects the degree not the person. Best of luck to all!

Here is a new, unrelated question. In pursuit of the stepping stone/ inferior MA degree, I have yet to obtain funding. I have one offer w/o funding, which turns out to be from a school that I would really like to attend. While I am waiting to hear back on my remaining applications, I am wondering if anyone has any advice on soliciting a nonfunded offer for funding. Has anyone ever successfully finagled funding from an institution in the past? If so, how did you do it?

Here is a new, unrelated question. In pursuit of the stepping stone/ inferior MA degree, I have yet to obtain funding. I have one offer w/o funding, which turns out to be from a school that I would really like to attend. While I am waiting to hear back on my remaining applications, I am wondering if anyone has any advice on soliciting a nonfunded offer for funding. Has anyone ever successfully finagled funding from an institution in the past? If so, how did you do it?

I did UChicago's MAPH program with partial funding. As soon as the official Chicago rejections come out and then the MAPH offers, there will be a giant thread about this. Many will say it is a cash cow (many will attack NYU and Brown and others similarly). To some extent, this is true. In another realm, having access to those profs, that environment, etc., was pretty remarkable. I didn't know about funded MAs when I first applied, and I only applied to, like, Chicago, Harvard, Brown, Cambridge, and Notre Dame. . .and I turned down a beautifully funded offer to Notre Dame to do Chicago's MAPH (because of personal situations involving a partner and all that). I do regret it sometimes, but I'm a better scholar and writer as a result of my experiences. I would say, though, that especially if you're young and have nothing but an unfunded offer, I would recommend that you wait a year, improve your app, and apply very broadly to a range of PhD programs and lots of funded MA programs. Reassess your options at that point. In this economy especially, follow the money.