Eugene V. Cota-Robles Fellowship

slaNYC

First I want to apologize if there is already a discussion on this. I did a search and came up with nothing.

I have been admitted to UCLA and was notified today that they want to nominate me for the Eugene Cota-Robles Award. I'm aware that this is quite competitive but I'm wondering just how competitive? Does anyone out there have a sense of how many awards are given out each year? And how many per campus (UCLA vs. Berkeley vs. UCI vs. UCSB etc)? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Just so you all know, I've done the standard google search and not been able to find this information.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I was just notified today through mail that I received this fellowship @ UC Berkeley. The best source of information that I have been able to find on the web about it is here: http://currents.ucsc.edu/05-06/10-03/brief-fellows.asp . I am roughly guessing that each University has about ten to give out.

-Mel

Do you think the number of scholarships awarded would depend on the size of the UC? I'm hoping that since UCLA is quite a bit larger than UC-Berkeley, that more would be avaialble. I too was nominated for one. Tell us when you hear anything.

• 3 years later...
On 2/26/2016 at 0:02 AM, gatoski said:

Same here...I had to ask personally (UCLA) ...who knows when we will find out @pbnwhey do you recall how much the award is? Best of luck to both of us!! 

It's 25k! I haven't heard back, but I'll be out there meeting with them on Wednesday, so if I find anything out then I'll let you know :)

34 minutes ago, pbnwhey said:

@gatoski -- I'm on my way back from my visits and I was awarded the fellowship! Were you? I'll be accepting at UCLA this evening, so I hope you'll be going too! 

I guess I wasn't awarded the fellowship! (unless there are different dates for each  department). Either way I am waiting on other fellowships but I am 98% sure I will accept my offer at UCLA. CONGRATS ON GETTING IT THOUGH!!!! :))))) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad to hear about the fellowship, but about attending UCLA, woohoo!! If you'd like to meet up at orientation in September then just PM me, I'd love to get to know some of the people who went through all the same stuff as me this round of applications! :)

12 hours ago, pbnwhey said:

Sad to hear about the fellowship, but about attending UCLA, woohoo!! If you'd like to meet up at orientation in September then just PM me, I'd love to get to know some of the people who went through all the same stuff as me this round of applications! :)

definitely!! I'll message you next semester so we can meet up!! like you said, we need some grad school craziness solidarity!!

On Monday, March 07, 2016 at 6:00 AM, pbnwhey said:

Guess what! I got the cota robles too!!!!!!! They just told me yesterday when I was in the preview weekend event !!!☺

10 hours ago, KingNikolai1 said:

Congratulations to both of you!! I will probably be at UCLA come this fall because the Slavic department is giving me a wonderful financial package.

yay!! we should all get together at one point to celebrate the achievement of being at UCLA!! :)

• 8 months later...

On the off-chance that any previous winners are reading this... is it okay for your statements for the Eugene Cota-Robles fellowship to have significant overlap with your statement of purpose/personal history statement? Or do they have to be entirely separate?

On 11/26/2016 at 4:46 PM, Kaede said:

On the off-chance that any previous winners are reading this... is it okay for your statements for the Eugene Cota-Robles fellowship to have significant overlap with your statement of purpose/personal history statement? Or do they have to be entirely separate?

I was literally about to ask this exact question! My SOP and PHS cover exactly these things...I'm finding it impossible to not re-iterate, and also exhausting to come up with novel material considering I poured my heart and soul into those essays.

Hey guys! I'm applying to UCLA and did not know what to do with this fellowship. I didn't apply to it because I guessed French wasn't the right language for it. Care to tell me if it was a terrible mistake? And congratulations! (Although this is from ages ago, it's still awesome)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I was just notified that I received this fellowship at UCLA! It's really exciting. When I tried to do more research, I came across this thread, which only leaves me with more questions. I really wish we had answers to some of the original questions in this thread...